[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

7 hours ago, steve_v said:

Havin a wee problem with habitation timers on an unloaded vessel, I get a quick "refuses to work" > "returned to work" cycle on load for both kerbals on board. So far only one particular ship, It's been up a while so I suspect it's one that would have expired the hab timers if the habitation multipliers / hab parts were not active. Problem goes away if (and only if) I set habitation effect to 'none' in settings.
Not a problem for kerbal survival as they are only tourists for a second or so, but it's long enough to stop research on the lab (no scientists), which is a royal PITA. Any ideas what's going on?

Hi, I have the same issue, although it has not really impacted anything yet.  I had Kerbals on my Kerbin space station, and I sent a small ship to return them back.  As I hit physics range, I see the "refuses to work/back to work" message. I also see it at some random times, but usually when I enter physics range with another vessel or base. Am in the process of making a sandbox save with USI only (maybe KJR and KAC also) and will see if I can reproduce.

5 minutes ago, Probus said:

I can't find it here: https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS

There must be another github page somewhere?

At the top of this page, there is a link to the Wiki for USI-LS.

There is also the MKS github page, which has a more extensive wiki that attempts to cover all things MKS including life support.  https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS

Note: Much of the wiki is now out of date with the release of 0.50 of MKS when KSP 1.2 was released.  You can use the documentation to get a feel for what is happening, but the specific numbers may be off.  If you see something that you know is wrong, and you know what the right value is -- please, Please, edit the page.  Anyone with a github account can edit these pages and contribute.  Don't worry about feeling like you might be stepping on someone's toes -- it's a group effort.

Edited by mcortez
Added note about some things being out of date

Just now, mcortez said:

At the top of this page, there is a link to the Wiki for USI-LS.

There is also the MKS github page, which has a more extensive wiki that attempts to cover all things MKS including life support.  https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS

I didn't know github had a wiki tab.  Looked right past it.  Thanks @mcortez and @RoverDude.

I think I might have found a bug or something.

I read that the 4 veteran Kerbonauts never refuse to work... BUT Val just did... she liftet off 7 days ago and is now on a flyby at minmus. 

Since the mission isnt even 15 days long yet she should keep working.... and it is VAL so she should never stopp..... 

I woult be very happy, if someone could explain this behaviour to me and help me restore normal USI LS....

Thanks

VSky

If it is meant to be like this. Is there a way to rescue my Kerbonaut? I tried a lot in the persistent.sfs and the settings of USI LS but didnt manage to get her back..... 

Edited by V[Sky]

2 hours ago, V[Sky] said:

I think I might have found a bug or something.

I read that the 4 veteran Kerbonauts never refuse to work... BUT Val just did... she liftet off 7 days ago and is now on a flyby at minmus. 

Since the mission isnt even 15 days long yet she should keep working.... and it is VAL so she should never stopp..... 

I woult be very happy, if someone could explain this behaviour to me and help me restore normal USI LS....

Thanks

VSky

If it is meant to be like this. Is there a way to rescue my Kerbonaut? I tried a lot in the persistent.sfs and the settings of USI LS but didnt manage to get her back..... 

When you are in the KSC view you should have the green cube icon at the bottom of the screen with the other icons- click it and adjust your USI-LS settings accordingly. I think you can also add other Kerbals to the list of non-effected crew members.

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

59 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

When you are in the KSC view you should have the green cube icon at the bottom of the screen with the other icons- click it and adjust your USI-LS settings accordingly. I think you can also add other Kerbals to the list of non-effected crew members.

Note that changes made here are not retroactive. That is, if Val has turned into a tourist, changing the settings from the KSC view to make her immune to negative effects will not turn her back into a pilot until AFTER she has been recovered, if that makes sense.

15 hours ago, RoverDude said:

I really need a save that's just stock and USI-LS so I can sort this one :/

I hear ya, time is a bit limited at the moment, but I'll try to produce one this weekend if nobody beats me to it.

21 minutes ago, Ketaz said:

Will Oxygen ever be a thing for USI Life Support? It could be an option that could be turned on or off. I prefer USI over TAC but like having to provide Oxygen as it adds to the challenge.

By the concept for USI-LS, Oxygen is part of Supplies.  I doubt that will be broken out.

14 minutes ago, Ketaz said:

Will Oxygen ever be a thing for USI Life Support? It could be an option that could be turned on or off. I prefer USI over TAC but like having to provide Oxygen as it adds to the challenge.

I know it is but would like to see it on it's own or have an option for that.

I'm confused. It sounds like you are saying you would choose USI LS over TAC LS if USI LS became TAC LS. 

Edited by Merkov

Thanks for the help!

Didn't realize the settings were different...

I changed the settings ingame and changed her back to crew in the save. After that the return went smoothly;)

LOVE the forums, the mods, and the fast replies i get here:)

Edited by V[Sky]

Greetings!

I'm running this mod on science mode (along with most other USI mods). However, it seems like the habitation modifier is much more strict than is advertised - according to the wiki https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/wiki "  Mk1-2 Command Pod provides 3 Kerbal-Months. "

However, my Mk1-2 command pod with 3 kerbals on it is restricted to a 7 day habitation value. With one pilot at the launch pad it is 21 days, so it seems the value is severely off from a 3 month value (or 1 month for 3 pilots). 

Was it recently changed to a 7 days per seat system? If not, is there a file I can edit to solve that? 

Thanks!

Edit: Seems I found the relevant file in question. In the current release, just reinstalled it to make sure, it is:     BaseHabTime = 0.25    //How long can 1 crew capacity support 1 Kerbal, expressed in Kerbal Months. Also appreciate the citing of the side effects/number values - I'm looking forward to upping it to MIA, wander or KIA when I am better situated.

Edit 2: However, replacing the value with 1 instead of 0.25 did not change the settings ingame. Nor did it change when I started a new campaign. 

What do you advise for me to tweak to get it back to the 1 month habitation value per kerbal seat?

Edit 3: MKS folder had an override perhaps of Lifesupport, changed that value to 1 as well. No dice though, issue persisted.

Edit 4: SOLVED! - I looked back in the topic and saw you can edit the settings in the KSC settings dropdown. Ignore this post then. Keep up the great work, the mod is fantastic!

Edited by Meloncat

49 minutes ago, Meloncat said:

Edit 4: SOLVED! - I looked back in the topic and saw you can edit the settings in the KSC settings dropdown. Ignore this post then. Keep up the great work, the mod is fantastic!

The main problem I have is that these settings are not reflected in the VAB life support monitor thingy.  Which is my main frustration with USI-LS: "Just how much dang life support do I have anyway?!".  The numbers seem to have no relation to the actual amount of life support, and once you add in recycling and agroponics, I'm either completely guessing or having to break out Excel and a slide rule to figure out whether this mission can get to Duna and back. 

It's too bad, I really like MKS and USILS together, but I've had to switch back to TAC, because at least with it, the numbers make sense and are reflective of reality.

/Rant mode off.

//Still love your mods RD!

3 hours ago, archnem said:

The main problem I have is that these settings are not reflected in the VAB life support monitor thingy.  Which is my main frustration with USI-LS: "Just how much dang life support do I have anyway?!".  The numbers seem to have no relation to the actual amount of life support, and once you add in recycling and agroponics, I'm either completely guessing or having to break out Excel and a slide rule to figure out whether this mission can get to Duna and back. 

This is an issue that I'm dealing with as well. It seems that the various life support tooltips and windows in the VAB are not consistent so there's not a great way of seeing what hab times, etc., one is actually going to get. I have been using Alt-F12 to get into orbit to find out what the actual in-flight values will be. This also helps to plan out power requirements, since there is currently no way to see how much electricity is required for habitats.

Here is an overview of the readout issues using a craft with just the three stock parts:

• Recycler readout in the part tooltip always reads 0%
  • Hab multiplier shows up as zero in the VAB life support summary
  • Hab time (kerbal-months) per part is inconsistent between part tooltip and life support summary
  • Total calculated hab-time does not reflect in-flight value

I'm also still trying to figure out what the CrewCapacity value in ModuleHabitation represents - it doesn't always reflect the part's actual crew capacity (see the cupola), but I don't know how it's incorporated into the overall formula for total habitation time.

Edited by PocketBrotector

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.