[1.3] The Plugin Workshop - Small plugins of varied function

Crzyrndm

Does stock also reset the mode just by tapping SAS hold (F by default)? If so, I should probably remove it. (E: Seems like it does, so that's one gone)

please don't make it disappear completely. some of us have huge saves in 0.90 we still play until the last bit of 1.0.2 updates come about for some of our most loved (dependent) mods. Loosing SAS Reset for 0.90 would be a shame.

SAS Tuning Fix v1.0 Released

About: Retunes the vector hold SAS modes (eg. hold prograde) to behave in a similar way to the default SAS mode (attitude hold). Much less wild overshooting, twitching, fuel wastage, etc.

NOTE:

Users of Pilot Assistant will not see any effect unless the default Pilot Assistant RSAS preset is removed. Pilot Assistant should load its presets after this has been through and will overwrite the effect unless this is done (once the defaults match, this won't be an issue).

Edited by Crzyrndm

SAS Tuning Fix v1.0 Released

About: Retunes the vector hold SAS modes (eg. hold prograde) to behave in a similar way to the default SAS mode (attitude hold). Much less wild overshooting, twitching, fuel wastage, etc.

NOTE:

Users of Pilot Assistant will not see any effect unless the default Pilot Assistant RSAS preset is removed. Pilot Assistant should load its presets after this has been through and will overwrite the effect unless this is done (once the defaults match, this won't be an issue).

https://youtu.be/VdqPofDrKJc

This should be the default stock behaviour.... It's a wonder they chose the current system over something like this.

It is the same system. I just yanked all the tuning parameters back until it actually behaved (did require cutting things by ~2/3rds or more, but still, same system)

For comparison:

Pitch/Yaw

Kp => Stock: 18.3, Revised: 6

Kd => Stock: 0.5, Revised: 0.13

Roll

Kp => Stock: 6, Revised: 1.25

Kd => Stock: 0.025, Revised: 0.02

Edited by Crzyrndm

Quick question about Dynamic Deflection. I've got a supersonic aircraft which is quite stable (constant pitch down tendency) throughout the supersonic region. Unfortunately, as it gets up to high speeds, Dynamic Deflection over-nerfs my tail surface, preventing it from compensating for the pitch down tendency. It's the only thing preventing my aircraft from passing through Mach 2! Is there anything I can do to fix this DD-wise? I'll post in the FAR design thread if not.

Quick question about Dynamic Deflection. I've got a supersonic aircraft which is quite stable (constant pitch down tendency) throughout the supersonic region. Unfortunately, as it gets up to high speeds, Dynamic Deflection over-nerfs my tail surface, preventing it from compensating for the pitch down tendency. It's the only thing preventing my aircraft from passing through Mach 2! Is there anything I can do to fix this DD-wise? I'll post in the FAR design thread if not.

mouse over a control surface => press 'K' => increase the percentages (right hand column) for the values of Q (dynamic pressure, left hand column) you approach at mach 2. There's a dynamic pressure readout at the top of the window or you can use FAR's info display.

Remember to copy to other surfaces ;)

EDIT

Why do I not have this sort of thing in the OP...

EDIT

Actually, I could totally fix this behaviour. It would require changing the value to modify but it would completely prevent this ever occurring again (although it *could* introduce other issues ofcourse)

I'll have a test build up in an hour or two if this works.

Edited by Crzyrndm

Depending on pilot level, I agree ... would make much more sense than being able to point the ship to a specific direction.

Wow... that would be cool. Newbie pilots are all shaky and wasteful, while skilled veterans provide smooth and quick transitions! Maybe a skilled engineer could even decrease the reaction wheel's bleed rate... It all sounds like a pain to code though! ;)

This should be the default stock behaviour.... It's a wonder they chose the current system over something like this.

This deserves more attention, does it have its own thread on the mod release forum?

Also, is it on CKAN and, if not, will you please, please, pretty please make it so?

It's on CKAN with the rest of my mods (and this is its thread on the release forum. All my small stuff ends up here so I don't have so much to keep track of.)

E: Or it should have been on CKAN, I'll have to bug someone about where its go to...

E2: User error, it's there... (can you tell I don't use the thing very often...)

Edited by Crzyrndm

Did you ever manage to test that fix? I'm just trying the changing dynamic pressures method.

Edit: That seems to have worked! The first thing to fail is now my heat tolerance, not my pitch control. Do I need to change the values at the start of every flight?

Edited by Volt

Down the bottom of the window there is two buttons, one to revert to the defaults, one to save them as the defaults.

RE: The idea/fix

No, it ran into more problems than I anticipated and doesn't seem to be worth bothering with

• 2 weeks later...

(Semi-)Saturatable Reaction Wheels v1.10.0

• Added ability to discharge momentum through resource consumption. Disabled by default (commented out to be used as an example). While discharging, RW has zero torque output
  • New Module >> Momentum Discharge Thruster : Resource consumption is disabled if this module is not present in the part. Propellants, discharge rate, and fuel consumption rate are set through this module.
  • Some other minor fixes

Would you be able to explain the new addition to the mod a bit more I am kind of confused on the use and function. My understanding is that you will stop moving i.e. decrease momentum just through resource consumption. This doesn't make the thrusters actually fire does it? What parts would this be applied to? Just command pods?

It's an alternative to the automatic torque recovery, basically simulating spinning down the wheel while thrusting to oppose the torque generated by doing so. No actual torque/thrust is generated, the second module provides a standard interface for setting up the propellants/ISP/Thrust that should also be compatible (or easily made so) with other mods (it's essentially just an RCS thruster with no thrust and different information)

Awesome I like it a simpler implementation of having to spend RCS to desaturate the wheels. Nice job. A question though. How does the plugin decide which resource(s), I am assuming it is 1 at a time, is spent if there are multiple available, or are multiple used if all are available? Thanks for the update!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.