One way stock 1.0 heat shielding is a bit unfair versus old DRE mod's heat sheilding.

Dunbaratu

kelvin it's in the change log

Oh. The color overlay seems a bit red for the temperatures that its at, IMO.....

Looked at wiki and the general temp of 237K is around waters triple point, which is 0 degrees centigrade, red doesn't seem appropriate for that temperature.

Edit: I'm being offtopic here anyway.

If you look in Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Aero\HeatShield\HeatShield1.cfg you'll see this line:

PhysicsSignificance = 1

Changing that 1 to a zero should turn physics back on for that part. I'm going to give this a try myself right now, as yeah, heatshields seem quite broken right now making reentry with them next to impossible to survive, which is obviously not what one would expect :)

I tried FlowerChild's suggestion, and it seems to work for me. Placing a heat shield now moves the yellow CoM ball, and makes a chute+capsule+Science Jr.+heat shield combo go through reentry mostly as expected. I noticed that it still wanted to be a tad off-center, but it was very manageable and nothing blew up.

Hm, What about the other larger sized heat shields? I haven't gotten around to testing those yet though.

I mean like do all of the heat shields have the same problem or is it just the MK1 shield?

Edited by smjjames

I tried FlowerChild's suggestion, and it seems to work for me. Placing a heat shield now moves the yellow CoM ball, and makes a chute+capsule+Science Jr.+heat shield combo go through reentry mostly as expected. I noticed that it still wanted to be a tad off-center, but it was very manageable and nothing blew up.

Capsules in RL purposely have an offset CG so that the capsule flies with an angle of attack greater than zero. Due to body lift, a capsule can steer aerodynamically. If you roll the capsule, you can steer right, left, more shallow, or more steep.

Capsules in RL purposely have an offset CG so that the capsule flies with an angle of attack greater than zero. Due to body lift, a capsule can steer aerodynamically. If you roll the capsule, you can steer right, left, more shallow, or more steep.

That's really interesting, and I did not know that. Thanks :)

I would assume then the slight offset is intended, but without physics applied it becomes WAY too dominant due to the COM remaining too high.

I'm also not certain the offset moves as your roll though. Will test that out.

I mean like do all of the heat shields have the same problem or is it just the MK1 shield?

I haven't tested in game, but looking at the .cfg files, I would assume they all have this problem, as physics is turned off for each of them.

Edited by FlowerChild

Just created this modulemanager patch (put it in a custom .cfg file under GameData) based on FlowerChild's fix. Works like a charm.

@PART[HeatShield1]

{

@PhysicsSignificance = 0

}

@PART[HeatShield2]

{

@PhysicsSignificance = 0

}

@PART[HeatShield3]

{

@PhysicsSignificance = 0

}

Just created this modulemanager patch (put it in a custom .cfg file under GameData) based on FlowerChild's fix. Works like a charm.

As an aside, you can also do this with a single change:

@PART[HeatShield*]
{
@PhysicsSignificance = 0
}

You will of course need ModuleManager installed for this to work, which can be found here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219

Install MM, drop the above into a .cfg file in your GameData directory, and you should be good to go.

Come on Squad. I know you're busy, but making sure your parts have mass seems pretty important.:P

I'm really hoping that they didn't all go on vacation or something, under the assumption that 1.0 would be a bug free release.

Edited by FlowerChild

Well, tried using the 'offset' to steer as it were - perfectly equatorial orbit, stayed equatorial all the way down. Same thing happened having turned it 90 degrees and I landed in more or less the same place.

Decided to make an offset of my own with a goo canister clipped into the side of the pod, and that steered slightly. I don't think the existing offset is large enough to be intentional.

Well, tried using the 'offset' to steer as it were - perfectly equatorial orbit, stayed equatorial all the way down. Same thing happened having turned it 90 degrees and I landed in more or less the same place.

Did the offset rotate with your roll at least?

I'm also not certain the offset moves as your roll though. Will test that out.

Should work or else something else is going on. Rolling won't change the offset in the coordinate system of your capsule, but it should change the offset relative to the world if that makes sense.

Should work or else something else is going on. Rolling won't change the offset in the coordinate system of your capsule, but it should change the offset relative to the world if that makes sense.

Yup, I agree. That's why I was asking that, as whether or not it's operating in local or absolute terms may give some indication as to whether it's intentional or a bug.

Will test it myself on my next launch which I'm just about to perform :)

Yes, it rotated with the vessel - resulting in the offset being (in this case) a little the the right of center on the navball regardless of rotation. Which meant that the offset could be used to steer.

At least I think that was the answer you were looking for. It was similar behavior to what we noticed with just the parachute/pod/heatshield at any rate, just slightly more exagerrated.

Yes, it rotated with the vessel - resulting in the offset being (in this case) a little the the right of center on the navball regardless of rotation. Which meant that the offset could be used to steer.

At least I think that was the answer you were looking for. It was similar behavior to what we noticed with just the parachute/pod/heatshield at any rate, just slightly more exagerrated.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, thanks :)

Was implied by your first message, but just wanted to be certain the offset was behaving as expected and not locked into a coordinate system, which would clearly indicate it is a bug. It may still be regardless mind you.

Indeed, I was at 20,000 meters and going 200 m/s because of the parachute. I have no idea how that got through to release.

I'm not trying to be negative, but that is a pretty big issue.

Edited by Endersmens

I didn't have any problems with my reentries. I used a pod with a science jr and a service module with a mystery goo in it, and then the heat shield. as far as being offset from the center, real capsules fall in an offset manner as well, its part of the design.

I didn't have any problems with my reentries. I used a pod with a science jr and a service module with a mystery goo in it, and then the heat shield. as far as being offset from the center, real capsules fall in an offset manner as well, its part of the design.

I had just a pod+heat shield. And it wouldn't go backwards. It flipped nearly nose first. That's not how it works in real life. Not that "offset"

So opening the parachute at 25,000 meters puts a 27G load on the spacecraft, but the astronaut and spacecraft survives and everything is fine. Nothing is damaged or breaks up. But if I use the heatshield, I die..... Go figure.

I actually don't use heatshields at all. An MK16 on the top + 2 radial parachutes are all you need up to 3000m/s reentry speed (highest i had so far, maybe it's different for speeds above......).

edit: you don't need to wait until 25000m, you can deploy the parachute at 60kms, it'll still pop up.

Here is a little sequence to show my pod wont tumble, nor is going to burn up on re-entry. Just one nice smooth ride down using a very shallow angle (mostly due i miscalculated my orbits back to Kerbin after a succesfull Munlanding..

Still on the mun..

http://i.imgur.com/qZxkbvx.png

Breaking at 30km, all temps within its limits, pod stable facing the right way..

http://i.imgur.com/xk7LICS.png

Becoming a fiery ball of fire, chute still not deployed, holding SAS for stability...

http://i.imgur.com/CO6lnrj.png

Coming out of the fire ball, the HeatWarning Thermometers showing i was getting very hot, but just below breaking point.

http://i.imgur.com/f1vPXyD.png

Succes, allready cooling down now..

http://i.imgur.com/8lZ42uD.png

So IT is doable, its just different as before.. Crazy tall small pods just dont work well. Normal sized loads no problems.

How do you get the thermometers to show heatwarning? or is that a separate part from the science thermometers?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.