(Fixed in 1.0.1) Fairing panels are massless (and it's mass is NOT added to the fairing base)

Sorry I haven't got round to playing it yet, but surely you could just add a decoupler above the fairing base, then eject the whole thing below?

This is what I used to do for Procedural Fairings, and I know it will only work for craft on the end of a stack.

The confusing part, as I see it, is that adding fairings in the VAB increase the overall mass of the craft but when the craft is wheeled out to the pad, the mass somehow disappears.

So, while it appears the fairings don't increase the mass of the vessel in-flight, they do increase the mass of the vessel in the VAB. Presumably the on-the-pad mass is what is used during the flight, but either I'm missing something along the way or it is a bizarre oversight/choice that mass is present only in the VAB.

Put two SRBs side by side on the pad. Put a skinny pointy fairing on one, and a short flat disc-like fairing on the other, and watch as the skinny one out performs the flat one. Now, revert the launch and launch again after separating the fairings. The difference in performance remains without the fairings. (I don't think it's the same exact difference, but the gulf between the two is clear and obvious.) Here's a craft file that will demonstrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k85yrwnrtv4ggad/Untitled%20Space%20Craft.craft?dl=0

The whole thing about fairings in 1.0 seems like a hack. I absolutely LOVE the exploded view, but everything else about this feature is just silly, from it being massless to the million pieces it shatters into. It should be two/three halves seperating, not several pieces.

It should be two/three halves seperating, not several pieces.

In my bug fixes, I've included a tweak that lets you control the number of fairing sides from 1 to 8. (Although you'll have to tweak the ejection force if you go for 1 side.) I'm still working to see if I can keep the length of the panels together, but with the tweak you can at least turn it into a clam style with two sides.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-0-25-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules

Cheers,

-Claw

Fixed.

Retester by scenario "Test 1".

Actual result: A craft can take off with fairing base without constructed fairing plates. The craft can't take off with added fairing plates (4t). The craft can take off after fairing plates were decoupled.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.