List of things needed in a hotfix

r4pt0r

wow! did we get a wrong copy of early expirimental or were we just right for thinking squad couldnt deal with all the bugs and changes with a small QA and Exp. teams? i mean we arent forgiving but these are probably stuff that others will but still they should have done a 0.95 i am sure we will find way more serious things

This sort of nonsense is so tired and old now. Really it is. How about you be constructive yeah?

I don't know how important this is to everyone else, but it seems to me that they accidentally left the Round-8 fuel tank (the one they were going to convert to Xenon until the community revolted on them) in the Ion Propulsion node of the tech tree. I think it should be moved back to the Propulsion Systems or Precision Propulsion nodes; it is definitely out of place as a LF+O tank with all the ion stuff.

Flights Basic tutorial. After clicking Ap > Time warp here, it's possible to get stuck in time warp for ever if you try to change the settings via ,/. You'll get the message "cannot time warp in this scenario" and that's the end for you.

EDIT: I should mention. This is particularly bad because the tutorial it self tells you to use the time here feature. So new players are gonna do just that.

Edited by Rosco P. Coltrane

Robotengineer: Welcome to how jets perform in reality. You try flying a low overall-pressure-ratio turbojet (or ramjet) in the Mach 3-4 region and see how much thrust you get out of it. ;)

In fact...I suggest you use the AJE tester, load up the F100 with afterburner, set its pressure ratio to 1.1 instead of 17 or so, and see what happens to thrust as you increase mach.

Indeed. The regular jet engines are too weak to even complete the survey Kerbin missions.. they don't seem to be able to reach altitudes above around 14k under the best of circumstances. The turbojet engines just tear your ship apart at anything under 15k and above that you're left with next to no control because the atmosphere becomes too thin. The speed at which you burn up parts seems entirely too low, as I cannot get a spaceplane moving quickly enough in the 10-15k range to be able to make orbit without tearing the plane apart. I can't enter a steep climb above the 15k range with my jet engines because they lose control too quickly above that altitude and the atmosphere becomes too thin for a high angle maneuver like that - the engines just flame out in atmosphere thin enough to not tear the ship apart. I'm going to keep experimenting, but as it stands I'm not sure how I'm going to get my spaceplanes into orbit.. /miss FAR.

14km is pretty dang high for a plane to fly in the Earth's atmosphere. Kerbin being so much smaller, why would you expect to be able to fly that high anyway?

That's not so high for Earth. From what I've read most military aircraft can exceed at least 50,000 ft and that's 15km. Kerbin is smaller, and should have a thinner atmosphere.. but still, the gameplay issues are glaring. Most of those missions are best done with an airbreathing jet craft.. indeed, that's basically the only use of early game jets. With their current issues, the only way to complete these missions is to try de-orbiting rockets directly through survey sites (HA!.. Good luck with that) or trying to make dual stage craft that swap to rocket engines to gain those last 5 km or so. That second one is what I ended up doing, but it's not exactly the best solution.. especially early game.

One word: Parachutes.

Try deploying a parachute in the upper atmosphere. Even at 35km it will stop your craft almost instantly.

Not trying to be mean, and this is supposed to be constructive. Parachutes need a rebalance for the aero. or maybe we just shouldn't deploy them until way down. But then the craft won't stay heat shield down....

Not sure what to do. I'll just deal with it now, as its overshadowed by awesomeness. :D

One word: Parachutes.

Try deploying a parachute in the upper atmosphere. Even at 35km it will stop your craft almost instantly.

Not trying to be mean, and this is supposed to be constructive. Parachutes need a rebalance for the aero. or maybe we just shouldn't deploy them until way down. But then the craft won't stay heat shield down....

Not sure what to do. I'll just deal with it now, as its overshadowed by awesomeness. :D

I agree.

If the intention is that pods do not stay heat shield down, there should be a drone parachute as part of the pod to keep it slower and pointing in the right direction.

I just had a pod come back from space and using a tonne of electricity to keep it balanced. Then in a split second the pod flipped 180 degrees over and blew up.

I had the old fashioned crash when a kerbal hits the ground bug show up again earlier. I'd really like that one to be killed because it's kind of annoying how many times that has happened over the course of 100's of hours. I figured that would be gone for 1.0

What would you guys change about the jet engines exactly? Constructive feedback is far more valuable to the devs than just saying it needs changing.

regular jet engines are way too weak

turbojets are still way too good

I have been getting a nasty bug where I can't revert, recover or go to the space center, forcing me to restart the game. If you would like me to post an output.log tell me where I can find it and I'll let you have a look.

SmallFatFetus

I do notice the increased braking power of parachutes at high altitudes. I think it gives Drogues a place... Just enough drag to turn your craft intended-side-down, not as much of an airbreak higher up. 'Chutes could be activated at low altitudes. I never used to use drogues... now they have a place! I Landed the Mk1-2 command pod with 2.5m heatshield, and only two radial drogues... popped chutes at 4000m falling at 250m/s, quickly slows to 35m/s for the rest of the way... hit the ground, everybody lived ;)(IDK why the heatshield part didn't explode, the stats say crash tolerance of 9m/s. I tried it twice.)

I removed Jets from the OP as NathanKell seems to think they work fine. Unless someone can post a good reasons to keep it?

They don't work fine. NathanKell might be a real pilot(?), I am not, but I have never, in 25 years of flight simming, experienced engine characteristics like those in KSP 1.0. The acceleration provided by turbojets from ~100 to ~800m/s is absurd, You can go from mach 1 to mach 2 in about three seconds.

I agree.

If the intention is that pods do not stay heat shield down, there should be a drone parachute as part of the pod to keep it slower and pointing in the right direction.

I just had a pod come back from space and using a tonne of electricity to keep it balanced. Then in a split second the pod flipped 180 degrees over and blew up.

There is an other option too: I mounted the heatshield upside down on the top of the craft, it worked well.

I think that the new aero design in conjunction with the old parts - it may be influenced by Near or FAR - has it flaws. Computed is - in my opinion - the hole craft, witch will automaticly point with it's end with less drag into prograde.

But computed should be the COW as well to allow a normal reentry eather with some corrections or/and to allow spinning the craft to stabilize it (at the moment the spin stops with SAS disengaged).

Sorry if it's been said, but Ore needs a re balance, not being able to grab it in the VAB, and significantly heavier so you can't just take off with Ore and have 2x the fuel.
Ore / resources have been tuned so that it doesn't make much sense for lighter craft, due to the parts being heavy. It is intended to help heavier craft or distant missions to places like Jool, where you might want to refuel, land, and lift off from different moons with the same craft multiple times, making it worth setting up.

im having a few bugs where when i send a kerbal engineer out, she still cant repair broken wheels they just immediately pop again, ive tried different configurations and still happens, also when running a kerbal around KSC i notice that she had trouble with walking on the stairs and sunk down more than they used too, im going to re-download ksp and see if that fixes things

This is hearsay from another player's experience, but I thought it was worth repeating here: Apparently some engines drop all the way to zero ISP (i.e. no thrust but still burning fuel) in high pressure atmospheres like Eve's. I haven't been to Eve yet to verify, however.

If true, this is probably not the physics that the devs intended. The real world interpretation would be that the combustion chamber pressure is literally lower than ambient atmospheric pressure... which simply would never be true for any actual rocket motor. Even a child's plastic water rocket would still have an ISP of 5-10 on Eve.