List of things needed in a hotfix

r4pt0r

Dunno if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but i encountered a major bug in fuel flow:

I had 4 tanks + engines attached with vertical separators around 2 centre stages, so 5 engines in stage one, and 5 in stage 2 (if you don't count the separator's stages as well).

In the second stage, somehow the fuel consumption went crazy, where two of the 4 outer engines consumed fuel out of the center stage instead of their own tanks, leading to a massive disbalance.

I don't know if this only was a contruction issue (which i don't think, because i made everything as usual) or if it's a bug.

If anyone encounters a similar issue, it's on my list of bugs that must be fixed ASAP.

So, I decided to play the tutorial scenarios for fun... the Orbiting 101 glitches out and softlocks the game. You start focused inside the sun instead of your vessel, and have no control whatsoever. Also "End Scenraio" simply doesn't react at all. You are essentially forced to ALT+F4 the game, cause it won't let you out of the scenario, in which you can't even play.

So, I restarted the game, went back into that training scenario, it worked. Then I go to "To the Mun part 1" Timewarp into the muns sphere of influence, get set back OUT of the sphere of influence, and get the "You left the sphere of influence of the mun, Reset" message. I click Reset, and suddenly I'm in control of an Asteroid somewhere in deep space. Also the reset message is still there, still resets me to the asteroid and the ESC menu is not even available. Sorry, but What the Stuff? How have such incredibly broken Training Missions made it into 1.0? New players that actually do tutorials before playing will not like this. They'll probably uninstall the game, and say screw that. I know I would, if I was new to the game.

Some things i have noticed so far:

- Kerbals sometimes still get ejected to infinity when exiting a capsule

I've had this once as well. Exited the pod on the launch pad and slowly flew up like you would with gravity hacked. I was testing KIS at the time though, which isn't officially released for 1.0.

If it happens again on a stock install I'll raise a bug.

Sorry if it's been said, but Ore needs a re balance, not being able to grab it in the VAB, and significantly heavier so you can't just take off with Ore and have 2x the fuel.

The VAB fillable ore is by design. Also it would be mass neutral, not 2x (discounting tank mass). The latter is also for design reasons. It's kinda a no-win to use Ore on the pad just because you also need an ISRU (4 tons, plus funds) and power to do the conversion.

-the current stock resource scanning system just a joke
yea,just try scanning the Mun with a flyby...

This is not very helpful. But what I can guess at is that you don't like the mechanic? can't tell. Perhaps phrase things a bit more constructively and with detail.

yea,just try scanning the Mun with a flyby...

From what my understanding is - you HAVE TO establish a solid polar orbit to be able to scan the surface. No "fly by" scanning possible. So - i assume it works as intended.

Im try to be helpfull.

Im playing KSP with a lot of mods,im changed a lot of them to my pleasure,rebalanced reworked almost all the parts. (all my rover wheels have own sounds etc.)

Before 1.0 im build a very big advanced ship with lifesupport,cryo tanks etc. and probes to survey the surroundings around Jool,and one mining barge to get fuel for returning to home.

The survey probes just a oneshot launch and forget ones equipped with ScanSat and controlled with RemoteTech system (thats last why oneshots).

Now with stock scansystem i cant do flyby surveys because need to achive polar orbit ,dont count i dont have chance to discover anomalies.

The stock system simple like a rock, i mean Stock vs Scansat+Karbonite like a potatoe vs USS Enterprise.

Now thats what i dont like it,i tough SQUAD love this game not just the modders.

I've had this once as well. Exited the pod on the launch pad and slowly flew up like you would with gravity hacked. I was testing KIS at the time though, which isn't officially released for 1.0.

If it happens again on a stock install I'll raise a bug.

Have experienced this issues two times in 1.0 without any mods installed. One time the crew member was launched up in the air with a ridiculously high speed and the other time he just glitched around like crazy and then the game crashed. :P

The survey probes just a oneshot launch and forget ones equipped with ScanSat and controlled with RemoteTech system (thats last why oneshots).

Now with stock scansystem i cant do flyby surveys because need to achive polar orbit ,dont count i dont have chance to discover anomalies.

The stock system simple like a rock, i mean Stock vs Scansat+Karbonite like a potatoe vs USS Enterprise.

Now thats what i dont like it,i tough SQUAD love this game not just the modders.

Usual full disclosure - I wrote Karbonite's resource code and that's pretty much what you have (design wise) in stock, so potatoes for everyone :D

Now that that's out of the way.

SCANSat is considerably more than resources (i.e. anomaly detection is not part of the equation). Stock is geared towards resource extraction, with that large orbital scanner being just the first step. The orbital survey scanner was not meant to be a SCANSat analogue (if anything, the NBS is a lot closer and looks more like the 'big map' style interface. You are also mixing in a lot of other systems like RT, etc. that are completely orthogonal.

So I expect this is less a case of 'things that need a hotfix' and more a case of 'I do not like this mechanic'. Which is perfectly fine, but maybe not helpful for this thread's purpose (and side note, I'm watching this thread with interest because it has some good info).

"Floppy rockets" can be caused by high speed in atmosphere... The new, higher drag forces push on rockets in new ways... may require a more cautious approach, not necessarily a bug. It's discussed by various posts in this thread.

Also, too much gimbal during ascent will make you dance like a ballerina. The SAS needs a rebalance, I think.

Usual full disclosure - I wrote Karbonite's resource code and that's pretty much what you have (design wise) in stock, so potatoes for everyone :D

Now that that's out of the way.

SCANSat is considerably more than resources (i.e. anomaly detection is not part of the equation). Stock is geared towards resource extraction, with that large orbital scanner being just the first step. The orbital survey scanner was not meant to be a SCANSat analogue (if anything, the NBS is a lot closer and looks more like the 'big map' style interface. You are also mixing in a lot of other systems like RT, etc. that are completely orthogonal.

So I expect this is less a case of 'things that need a hotfix' and more a case of 'I do not like this mechanic'. Which is perfectly fine, but maybe not helpful for this thread's purpose (and side note, I'm watching this thread with interest because it has some good info).

I use SCANsat. The newer version of it (not sure if it's still WIP) includes new resource scanning. Are you saying the NBS is like SCANsat's BTDT?... as far as resources go? I'm running a Science game with 1.0, so I've a long way to go before I hit the new items in the Tech tree. I'm wondering if the output of SCANsat resource scanning will indicate the same as the NBS (vice versa) ... which I'm assuming it would/should?

(Also, shrugs shoulders and sighs, because he now must wait for SCANsat to update and then go scan all the bodies again lol)

Also, too much gimbal during ascent will make you dance like a ballerina. The SAS needs a rebalance, I think.
Agreed. It would be nice if SAS could be adjusted to use a more analog approach to moving the rocket nozzles. You can see the nozzles being pointed instantly from maximum right, to maximum left.

I use SCANsat. The newer version of it (not sure if it's still WIP) includes newer/better resource scanning. Are you saying the NBS is like SCANsat's BTDT?... as far as resources go? I'm running a Science game with 1.0, so I've a long way to go before I hit the new items in the Tech tree. I'm wondering if the output of SCANsat resource scanning will indicate the same as the NBS (vice versa) ... which I'm assuming it would/should?

(Also, shrugs shoulders and sighs, because he now must wait for SCANsat to update and then go scan all the bodies again lol)

Picture is worth a thousand words in this case. The big difference is that stock has (intentionally) different levels of granularity and different mechanics. So in some cases, the comparisons are a bit tough due to a lack of analogues.

admxCDI.png

Well as far as required hotfixes go, with my limited time in KSP 1.0, I can only echo two things that have already been mentioned:

- parachutes seem to behave... strangely... in the new aero. Deceleration is far too sudden. The actual terminal velocity they give seems to be okay (though again, very limited experience on my part) but going from over 1000 m/s to 50 in one second seems... a tad silly. Jeb and Val didn't seem to mind though...

- heat shields physicsSignificance problem/pod flipping problem. Been said and demonstrated several times already

Other then that though, I haven't yet encountered much in the way of undesirable features/bugs. And I'm loving the new update a LOT. Well done SQUAD!

Also, since you seem to be following the thread with interest: Hi RoverDude!

I think heat needs to be looked at again. I brought a Mk1 Command pod, with heat shield, parachute and two thermometers back from a 178km orbit. The return trajectory was fairly steep and it passed through 20km with a velocity of around 1300 m/s. I turned on the thermometer to display temperature as I passed through the heating zone. The temp climbed to about 400 degrees on the command module and about 12% of the heat shield ablated. At around 15000m I deployed the main chute and had an uneventful landing in the ocean. During the rest of the descent the temp climbed to about 500 degrees, after splashdown, I watched the temperature continue to climb to 564 degrees.

To me this indicates an issue with heat radiating or conducting into a cooler environment. I can see a little temperature rise as the heat shield conducts some heat into the craft during and shortly after the max heating phase of re-entry, but to continue to climb as the source of the heat (air friction) is removed and then the craft is dumped into a huge heat sink does not model well with real world thermodynamics.

Floppy rockets are back. The joint strengthening of 23.5 seems to have disappeared. Struts are now needed on simple rockets that use more than one tank.

Not sure how that happened.

Yes absolutely. In addition, SAS behaves very poorly and way overcompensates, causing huge instability - even in a vacuum. It's completely useless. They really need to fix the spaghetti rockets and SAS control logic asap.