List of things needed in a hotfix

r4pt0r

I'm not really sure if this belongs here, but...

.. rescue mission, met up with the stranded kerbal (btw, awesome with the debris), entered capsule and decoupled it (had 4 pods), all nominal, stable orbit, all fine.

Then i wanted to switch back to the vessel with the other 3 pods and suddenly piloted one piece of debris and couldn't switch any further because for some reason i was touching the atmosphere with it. Luckily nothing major happened, i just had to wait all the time until it was out of atmosphere. Not really a hotfix-needing thing, but maybe raise the starting orbit a tiny bit because atm it's just barely out of atmosphere.

I intensely dislike the polar orbit insta scan, I was really expecting it to be more like ScanSat or Kethan where you actually have to scan the surface one orbit at a time and it mad sense to plant multiple satellites in multiple orbits, but this is just a preference, not really broken, just bad.

I agree, it's not a bug but it's tacky - I'm hoping they fix it not in the bug release (though that would be nice) but in 1.1. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116615-Newbish-Scanning

My Jeb was lost when he touched the ground on EVA and the world went blank. The altimeter goes blank, the Space Center scene is blank. Reloading the save doesn't fix it, I have to restart the program. This bug happened to me once before in 0.90. I've seen other people describe the same symptoms so I'm hoping this is on the Dev's radar and they're working on a fix.

Parachutes are insane. They are basically indestructible at any speed or altitude. You can completely ignore re-entry heating and just hammer your craft into the atmosphere at 4k/s, pop your shoot, watch your gees max out for a couple seconds and then its a long boring drift to the surface. This really needs to be fixed, no parachute should be able to withstand those forces, or any Kerbal for that matter.

Parachutes have always been this way. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be improved, I'm just remarking that this was a characteristic that was not modified in 1.0. Parachutes have been modified when interacting with the ground; in the previous version, as soon as your vessel touched the ground, the parachute disappeared from the craft. Now, it persists until the vessel's velocity (over the surface or angular) is very close to 0.

SAS is broken. Even a very short stiff craft, a Mk1 and one fuel tank and one engine, often gets stuck in a wobble that uses up all your RCS or battery. Wobble isn't even the right term, its more live a vibration. The craft stays steady but the gimbals and RCS just fire like crazy in all directions.

This means you have too much torque in your SAS and/or not enough electric charge. Try adding some batteries and cutting back on the number of SAS parts you use. If you need the Smart SAS, try just using a different probe body to augment your controls, rather than an entire Inline Stabilizer.

A few issues I experienced are already mentioned here, like the uncontrollable flipping round of capsules with heat shields on reentry and radial parachutes that when launched at this flip moment - going at 1800+ m/s at around 19000 m - not only not break off, or burn to a crisp in the reentry fireball, but stop the speed of the capsule to a mere 350 m/s in less then a second. :wink:

Additionally to the above I have a symmetry problem during construction in the Aircraft hanger, were I either can't seem to switch from radial to symmetry placement mode, or there's something else wrong with the result as shown in this thread.

And finally a minor strange behavior of the small heatproof cargo container as show here.

closed_cargodoors_attitude.png

opened_cargodoors_attitude.png

Both images with no SAS applied just on the way down hanging on a chute. I need to add that this was after a few quicksave restarts because of flipping capsule syndrome as mentioned before, so I forgot to close the doors on reentry. Seems like a flag somewhere in code that gets set for one state but not on the other, since the open one hangs correctly and the closed one isn't. I bet if I had closed the doors before reentry the result would be the opposite. :rolleyes:

Greets,

Jan

Parachutes have always been this way. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be improved, I'm just remarking that this was a characteristic that was not modified in 1.0. Parachutes have been modified when interacting with the ground; in the previous version, as soon as your vessel touched the ground, the parachute disappeared from the craft. Now, it persists until the vessel's velocity (over the surface or angular) is very close to 0.

The thing is, the conditions in which parachutes operate have changed dramatically. Heating and aero weren't what they are now, and parachutes don't seem to have been adapted to that change, causing them to become an exploit to avoiding other systems.

As stated Jet engines are fine.

Now it may be a question of the missions.

I had an old carry over mission the still lists 17K + above but earlier today I thought it was changed to a lower altitude.

I haven't seen any new missions but if the new ones are now much lower as they should be then we are all good.

However if they are still coming up with 16 17 18 19K above then those missions should get changed not the engines.

This means you have too much torque in your SAS and/or not enough electric charge. Try adding some batteries and cutting back on the number of SAS parts you use. If you need the Smart SAS, try just using a different probe body to augment your controls, rather than an entire Inline Stabilizer.

Read my post again. No SAS modules at all, just the built in SAS in the MK1 pod. I don't know what batteries would have to do with anything. Either you have power or you don't. When the batteries run out SAS stops.

The thing is, the conditions in which parachutes operate have changed dramatically. Heating and aero weren't what they are now, and parachutes don't seem to have been adapted to that change, causing them to become an exploit to avoiding other systems.

Exactly. They put a lot of effort into heat shields and re-entry but its all completely irrelevant because of the parachute behavior, and they where not always that way, in earlier builds if you deployed over about 800 M/S the chute detached. It was actually a much more realistic challenge as you had to re-enter at an angle that would let you areo-brake enough before you hit the ground.

Edited by Aerindel

Yakky: there's also flow separation from high pressure vs too-high area ratio, that would contribute to Isp being lower than a straight chamber pressure vs static pressure comparison.

Fair point, this would cause ISP to fall more, maybe a lot more, but still not to zero. Zero only happens if the engine chamber pressure is lower than ambient and the engine is literally sucking air in backward through its nozzle.

I'm not hung up about it... I just felt compelled to point it out because my sense was that the Squad devs would want to get it right.

As I mentioned in another thread: earlier rockets have a tendency to go off-kilter upon launch. This may have to do with the earlier mentioned floppy joints issue.

Also: I had a case of aerobrakes not wanting to open. Couldn't figure out any reason why.

As stated Jet engines are fine.

Now it may be a question of the missions.

I had an old carry over mission the still lists 17K + above but earlier today I thought it was changed to a lower altitude.

I haven't seen any new missions but if the new ones are now much lower as they should be then we are all good.

However if they are still coming up with 16 17 18 19K above then those missions should get changed not the engines.

LOL! On my fifth mission of my new career - right before Jeb exploded the universe and died - I was doing a survey mission Crew Report above 17km, Crew Report below 17km, and EVA report. I must have flown around the way-point 3 or 4 times doing Crew Reports and getting frustrated the mission wasn't updating. Then I realized, 17,000m - not 1,700m! Yeah, my little Science Tier 3.5 plane was rock'n but not that rock'n.

Edited by nholzric

Two graphics errors:

- The flagpole next to the launchpad displays the default KSP flag instead of your chosen flag.

In the past this often happened at first launch only. Now it's contant.

- Launch at dusk or dawn. At 13-15km the sky should gradually fade from blue sky to black with stars. Instead the sky changes within the blink of an eye.

Minor error- not sure if any one else has posted this.

Placing solar panels on the out side of the new cargo containers (the side part that doesn't open up) will cause the panel to not be able to be opened. A message will display saying cannot deploy pannel while stowed. This can be fixed by opening the associated bay.

Just to clarify this happens when the panels are placed outside the bay.

Parachutes have NOT always been this way whatsoever, what are you talking about? Before you would open the chute, and it wouldn't be fully deployed, and only very minorly (is that a word?) have an effect on deceleration. Now, when the chute opens at 20km at 1.5km/s, it is still not fully deployed, but you go from 1500m/s to 50m/s in a second flat - STILL not fully deployed. The chute fully deploys at 500m and slows you to about 6m/s as it used to, but in NO way is the predeployment the same, that's absurd.

External fuel duct has new bugs. I have a strange situation where the engine is only taking fuel from 1 of the 4 side tanks, but refuses to take fuel from the central tank or any of the others - it is as if the engine believes it is attached to the wrong fuel tank??? Anyway I can still manually transfer fuel to the 1 used tank, but it does mean that the space kraken is giving my space ship a lop sided weight problem.

The central tank (to which the engine is attached) is 100 full and open, but the engine cuts out when the side tank drains.

Bug - Fuel ducts not working properly / engine associating with wrong fuel tank.

External fuel duct has new bugs. I have a strange situation where the engine is only taking fuel from 1 of the 4 side tanks, but refuses to take fuel from the central tank or any of the others - it is as if the engine believes it is attached to the wrong fuel tank??? Anyway I can still manually transfer fuel to the 1 used tank, but it does mean that the space kraken is giving my space ship a lop sided weight problem.

The central tank (to which the engine is attached) is 100 full and open, but the engine cuts out when the side tank drains.

Bug - Fuel ducts not working properly / engine associating with wrong fuel tank.

Did you check if the fuel lines are pointing in the right direction?

Dunno if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but i encountered a major bug in fuel flow:

I had 4 tanks + engines attached with vertical separators around 2 centre stages, so 5 engines in stage one, and 5 in stage 2 (if you don't count the separator's stages as well).

In the second stage, somehow the fuel consumption went crazy, where two of the 4 outer engines consumed fuel out of the center stage instead of their own tanks, leading to a massive disbalance.

I don't know if this only was a contruction issue (which i don't think, because i made everything as usual) or if it's a bug.

If anyone encounters a similar issue, it's on my list of bugs that must be fixed ASAP.

Yep - pretty much this - external fuel ducts are very bugged. Sometimes lead to engines draining from wrong tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you check if the fuel lines are pointing in the right direction?

Yes - all 4 side tanks are attached correctly - central engine drains just 1 side tank, and ignores the fuel in the central tank for no reason. All arrows correct, tanks open etc...

Edited by Awsum0

i assigned the air brakes to an action group on toggle and they don't work. also they shouldn't be able to control the plane when they're not deployed. for instance if I want to use them as airbrakes and slight controls on a pod reentering, one they don't deploy unless i turn on the brakes and 2 they dont control when they're on, only when they're off.