Launcher, Patcher not working and stays at "Checking for updates"

It's quite likely that the server is simply overloaded at the moment, what with everyone trying to download 1.0 at the same time. There's not much that can be done to resolve this save waiting, at this point, as frustrating as that may be. :(

Same problem, 2 days later. Patcher freshly downloaded by the Launcher from ksp-win-1-0-0.zip.

Authentication

Getting login token...

Unable to authenticate with the server: Received malformed data from the server: File not found.

Still?

Maybe it's unable to find the server, the same issue exists for the store, if you can't access the store and just see the site in maintenance mode you'll need to change to Googles IPv4 DNS servers.

Even if the patcher still fails you'll be able to download the KSP installer or the full game zip file.

Hiya, the server should be fixed but there were DNS issues, you may have to try changing to the Google IPv4 DNS servers on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/browsers/f/change-dns-server.htm

Don't think it a DNS issue. I use Level3 Communications Open DNS servers or 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 as my forwaders. To be sure that I did not have a locally cached address I ran ipconfig /flushdns and also cleared the DNS cache of my two DNS servers on my home domain that my pc uses. Problem remains.

Don't think it a DNS issue. I use Level3 Communications Open DNS servers or 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 as my forwaders. To be sure that I did not have a locally cached address I ran ipconfig /flushdns and also cleared the DNS cache of my two DNS servers on my home domain that my pc uses. Problem remains.

In my patcher.log I get an error related to an invalid SSL certificate. Did a Squad/KSP HTTPS cert expire?

05/01/2015 12:39:04 AM [iNFO ]: Squad Patcher 2.0.2.217 (6805581-production b master) - Apollo I Edition

05/01/2015 12:39:04 AM [iNFO ]: ---------------

05/01/2015 12:39:04 AM [iNFO ]: OS: Windows (win)

05/01/2015 12:39:04 AM [DEBUG ]: Handing everything over to Qt. Hold onto your butts.

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [DEBUG ]: Crash?

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [iNFO ]: >>> Preparation

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [iNFO ]: Detecting if OS-resident rsync is present...

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [WARNING ]: rsync is not already installed, so making use of bin\rsync.exe.

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [iNFO ]: >>> Authentication

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [iNFO ]: Getting login token...

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [DEBUG ]: HTTPFetcher()

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [DEBUG ]: Hashing password

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [DEBUG ]: getPatcherExecutable/md5sum myexe

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [DEBUG ]: Beginning fetch

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [DEBUG ]: Note to testers: All the data below is hashed and secure. Please do not file bugs about it.

05/01/2015 12:39:06 AM [DEBUG ]: GetFormData() = username=[redacted]&hash=[redacted]&platform=WindowsPlayer&clientsversion=2.0.2.217&act=get_rsync_token&buildTarget=KSP_win&platID=win&password=[redacted]&experimental=0

05/01/2015 12:39:07 AM [ERROR ]: [sSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)

05/01/2015 12:40:03 AM [WARNING ]: Process closing. Cleaning up...

I have been having the same issue and find that deleting patcher.exe allows the launcher to work but it always reinstalls patcher.exe so you have to delete it each time.

Hello. KSP 1.0. Linux, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, x86-64.

When launching Launcher.x86, see the Launcher tries to download the (rsync-based) Patcher. I am also given the option to 'Update'. Clicking 'Update', nothing happens. Closer examination of the newly-downloaded Patcher.zip reveals that it is actually an HTML document rather than a ZIP file containing the Patcher tool. Deleting Patcher.zip and allowing it to be re-downloaded yields the same results.

I have not tried this using Launcher.z86_64 due to (presumably unrelated) Mono errors.

Hiya, the server should be fixed but there were DNS issues, you may have to try changing to the Google IPv4 DNS servers on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/browsers/f/change-dns-server.htm

Does not work. Launcher stuck. Patcher can't login, 404s. Google DNS and DNS cache flushed. Launcher/Patcher is FUBARed, was hoping for some fixes in 1.0.1

Theyve always had issues with the update process.

i have had the same issue, but i have found a semi fix to this glitch. if you have 1.0 or the 0.90 (via the store) 32,bit only then you have a file "ksp_win" or a ksp_1.0, open the file and look for a file "patcher" simply remove that file (via moving or deleting) then launch the launcher insted of seeing "checking for updates" you will get "downloading patcher" after that you can update to 1.0 or play game but you have to repeat this to play via the launcher until they patch the glitch..... honestly we shude not have to deal with this obvious glitch they had 100 volunteers test this patch to prevent stuff like this.

Posting in the hope that someone at Squad notices:

Patcher is not working (missing key). Launcher does not retrieve updates (hangs indefinitely). While I'm very happy to see the patches released, there's not much point releasing patch after patch if we can't download them.

The only apparent workaround at the moment is to download the entire game from scratch. This is a less than ideal solution, especially over a slow connection like mine (where I am now re-downloading the game for the second time today, thanks to a crash two hours into the first attempt).

Being so many people in the past have had problems with the Updater/Patcher, I've never bothered with it, I just download a fresh copy (zip). It took me forever to get my hands on v1.0, likely because their servers were so busy with so many hitting it for the new version. When I saw the news of the v1.0.1 update, I tried to download that but ran into troubles ... twice I tried to download it. The first time, the download timed-out at about 80% (grrrrr), and there was no recovering from it. The second time, it died about 10% in. The reason was because they put up the v1.0.2 update lol.

From what I'm reading and understanding, updating or patching likely isn't going to help you any with your existing game - as the changes have a drastic impact on the parts and their properties. Your best bet is a fresh install (in my opinion).

How non lurking players have to figure there is a new release ?

A workaround IS NOT a bug fix.

The launcher is not working. It's very easy to do some version check and offer to download new release. I do that for all my softwares in less than 20 lines.

I have been having the same issue and find that deleting patcher.exe allows the launcher to work but it always reinstalls patcher.exe so you have to delete it each time.

I have now completely missed update 1.0.1 and i cant get 1.0.2. I posted a comment about it under the 1.0.2 update article which was deleted so they must be aware of this issue just not willing to do any thing to fix it.

The comment i posted in the article went: removing patcher.exe allows the launcher to check for updates and i get the update button but then it only gets as far as the "Authentication: Getting login token..." and that's it, i left it like this for over an hour and nothing.

Same here and I have no problems to log in into the store.

/edit:

After deleting the Patcher.exe I can start the Update, but it says:

"Unable to authenticate with the server: Received malformed data from the server: File not found."

Edited by NicoH

I am having the same problem too. I downloaded 1.0 straight from the website (I couldn't get the patcher or windows installer to work). But now that I'm trying to install the patch that was just released yesterday, I'm running into this problem.

I could just delete the file and download it again from the website, but that shouldn't be the necessary solution.

Thanks for any additional help!

Same here (and for a friend) ... Patcher just hangs around doing nothing, forcing us to download the installer from the store

According to the patcher.log it gets the Form-Data for my username and my hashed password and afterwards fails when it comes to verifying the SSL certificate:

[sSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)

Afterwards, according to the log, the process is closed

(obviously without informing the rest of the patcher-application, as this still will hang around, displaying that it synchronizes with the Master Server)

Sounds to me therefore like it is a problem on the server side (outdated certificate)

Edited by Godot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.