Linux - old PC - apparently missing graphics

Exactly which textures are missing? And please upload your KSP.log

Textures like Sputnik and 3-person command pod, 1.something size long fuel tank and many other stuff is missing including mod ones. But its not mods because they were missing before I install mods too. Its like 1 in 5 parts lost their textures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuik3wnqrxdeipc/KSP.log?dl=0

here is the log, I also have some issues with parachutes, but its most likely a mod problem.

Wasnt it KSP v1.0 that introduced the switch to .dds textures?

Are all your mods current for the version of KSP your running?

Also, check this webpage to find out what graphics driver your actually using:

http://xmodulo.com/how-to-check-graphics-card-on-linux.html

Yeah, I was surprised that it worked with earlier format, I was expecting a crash. But it opened with 0.90 files it still had black textures. It was confusing.

Texture problem was present without any mods installed. I was actually hoping mods might fix it somehow.

This is what terminal says on video card

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV505 [Radeon X1550 64-bit] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device 0920

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

Memory at febe0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at e000

Expansion ROM at febc0000 [disabled]

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

Capabilities: [58] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+

Kernel driver in use: radeon

Edited by Phoenix1945
Corrections on grammar :P

Phoenix1945, your log is full of addon entries, can you please test a fresh install with a new save so it hasn't been modified and upload the KSP.log from the fresh install.

Ok give me a minute

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuik3wnqrxdeipc/KSP.log?dl=0

here it is, I was just reinstalling the game. Still got the problem :P

Okay the only thing I see is this:

[LOG 16:19:47.974] PQS - Graphics shader in fallback mode

I'm assuming you are using the default settings.cfg as it's a new install, so this suggests the game had to switch to fallback mode on its own.

This should only happen if the graphics card is old and doesn't support shader model 3.0, and the KSP.log shows this:

GPU: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV515 (256MB)

SM: 20 (OpenGL 2.1 [2.1 Mesa 10.5.9])

RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, RGB565, ARGB4444, ARGB1555, Default, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

Googling the driver shows it's quite an under spec'd chip as well, and only supports the OpenGL shader model 2.0 and DirectX9.0c.

Searching a bit more shows it's part of the Radeon x1000 family just as you mentioned, and AMD no longer supports it on any operating system so the proprietary AMD Catalyst drivers won't be usable.

Even the older fglrx driver won't be usable here, as it does not support graphics cards of that age with the current version of the Linux X server, and installing an older version of X is likely to break other things, there's no guarantee the Unity engine will even work with it.

So that leaves you with the open source driver you are currently using (Radeon via the Mesa/Gallium library), but as the card is physically incapable of SM3.0 I'm sorry but you need to consider upgrading.

Edited by sal_vager

Okay the only thing I see is this:

I'm assuming you are using the default settings.cfg as it's a new install, so this suggests the game had to switch to fallback mode on its own.

This should only happen if the graphics card is old and doesn't support shader model 3.0, and the KSP.log shows this:

Googling the driver shows it's quite an under spec'd chip as well, and only supports the OpenGL shader model 2.0 and DirectX9.0c.

Searching a bit more shows it's part of the Radeon x1000 family just as you mentioned, and AMD no longer supports it on any operating system so the proprietary AMD Catalyst drivers won't be usable.

Even the older fglrx driver won't be usable here, as it does not support graphics cards of that age with the current version of the Linux X server, and installing an older version of X is likely to break other things, there's no guarantee the Unity engine will even work with it.

So that leaves you with the open source driver you are currently using (Radeon via the Mesa/Gallium library), but as the card is physically incapable of SM3.0 I'm sorry but you need to consider upgrading.

The fallback mode was my doing I think, I copied old settings file to cut time.

Other than that it seems I need to change the graphic card. Thanks, sorry for the trouble.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.