What's up with parachutes in 1.0?

Parachutes seem quite overpowered in 1.0. A typical reentry happens at about 1.8 km/s, right? It seems like I can instantly decelerate from these speeds at dozens of Gs with a single parachute and seemingly bypass the requirements for reentry entirely, with no drawbacks; parachutes neither burn up, nor do the insane G-forces have any adverse effect on the kerbals.

Am I missing something here?

I'm just bamboozled at how they thought increasing the semi-deployed drag to stupidly high levels was a good idea.

my guess is that this is to make up for parachute spam, and to hold larger vessels straighter, but still, tiny vessels do get yanked at about 11 gs and slow down at like 20km XP

I thinked they buffed them since you will likely be going faster at lower altitudes during reentry. I got caught off gaurd with my first reentry about how fast I was going under 15K altitude.

I think so too. If they had kept them the same as before, I doubt they would have worked at all.

I mostly like the change to the parachutes so far, actually. But they are a little overpowered. I bet a tweak will be coming.

I'm fairly certain you're supposed to use a drogue chute to slow down now before switching to your main chute for landing. Of course you'd get a big jolt and slow down fast if you went from none to main. The only real problem is that chutes (the actual chute and not the base part) isn't affected by heat or g-forces, and high-g's don't kill kerbals.

I'm fairly certain you're supposed to use a drogue chute to slow down now before switching to your main chute for landing.

That might make sense for sandbox, but in career, you don't start with drogues.

Set the atmosphere pressure to .5 and they pop at just over 4km. Which is fairly real life. You still give your crew whiplash tho :)

Or, get real chute where the deployment isn't instantaneous.

Deployment doesn't seem to be instantaneous now either... but the semi-deployed drag is too high.... its like a combo drogue + main chute. I don't see that a drogue is needed at all now. Maybe on Duna, where the semi-deploy altitude is a bit higher.

Set the atmosphere pressure to .5 and they pop at just over 4km. Which is fairly real life. You still give your crew whiplash tho :)

Or, get real chute where the deployment isn't instantaneous.

Any list of compatible mods from .90 that can be used straight away?

Or do we need to wait till Modders can re engineer thier wonderful creations?

Anyone know?

ok i ve exprienced it too and waitiing for a thread like this: parachutes in 1.0 ARE AN ASBOLUTE MESS. re entry with 2km/s? no problem it only takes 3 seconds to decelerate to 50 m/s. no matter how big the craft is a single chute is the GOD of carrying weight. not only that, doing all the insane stunts and absolutely wrecking re entry situations, no damage ever coves to parachutes. NEVER. what is this?

the semi-deployed drag is too high....

This exactly is the problem. With the current chutes I need no heat shields whatsoever since I can decelerate almost instantaneously. Actually they saved one of my missions already. This was my first sub-orbital flight and I didn't know about capsule flipping issue so it flipped. I hit space as the last resort and guess what? The craft decelerated nearly instantly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.