1.0 Impressions

Lord Aurelius

I finally got some real time to play and here are my impressions:

I love it. Every re-entry has been a nail biter, yet every one has been successful. Except that time I found out that tourists can't find the lever to pull the chute :o

Every launch has been a learning experience, like when I first started playing and like when I first started using FAR. Things feel "wrong" but really they're just *different*. Which is fun.

There are problems, sure. For example, my first time to orbit (which was my 2nd launch) I completed something like 17 contracts which is kind of ridiculous. I spent all that money on a few building upgrades which balanced it out I suppose, but still.

But the problems don't matter for me, right now. I still remember my first re-entry ever, where I was terrified about heat and exploding and anything else and then finding out, later, that heat just wasn't a thing.

Now it is. And now I'm happy. :D

I really like it (i'm not listing all the points i find awesome, that list would be tldr).

Except the new Aero (maybe because im used to FAR/RealChute). No complaints for the launches but re-entry is.. weird. My second launch is usually straight up, out of the atmosphere. I'd have crashed into the ground with over 1000m/s if not for the magic chutes/g-resistance.

Same for the first orbit: Overshot because of not enough fuel, so i decided to see what happens if i just pop the chute as soon as possible. Result was almost no heat at all (i should've checked the g's after the flight, it was pretty ridiculous).

I dont understand why they weren't redesigned with the new Aero.

Overall first impressions are pretty good. Starting right at the beginning:

The launcher works now (haven't had much luck with this in Mac OSX) and the dramatically improved loading time is very welcome. I'm still finding it a bit crashy which is disappointing. I've had quite a few lockups and graphical glitches around the Space Centre, usually in the VAB/SPH or transitioning from them back to the main screen. Time to see if I can make them reproducible and file a bug report.

New flavour text for completing contracts is nice. Procedurally generated babble for the contract description has been improved but still isn't great. Flavour text for the tech tree needs a bit an overhaul in places - some of them are kind of a running joke which works for the order in which the parts were added to the game but doesn't make a lot of sense now that the player encounters them in a totally different order.

Launchpad smoke is cool! Female kerbals are cool! Tourist kerbals are cool!

Definitely enjoying the new aero and heat models. See 5thHorseman's comments. :) The tech tree has its quirks but overall I'm finding that Career mode is much more strategic now, which is a good thing. I'm actually pondering different directions for my space program, trading off monetary costs vs research cost, figuring out which contract types I'm going to focus on and what tech I need to get to do that. Not had any major funding problems, although I'm hardly rolling in cash either and science seems a lot slower to come by now, which I'm needing to take into account.

Haven't dabbled in Strategies yet since I'm not really running enough of a surplus in anything to make it worth swapping for anything else.

Overall - well lets just say that I'm looking forward to getting home tonight... :)

Good: 1.0 Wooooohoooo!!!!

Bad: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I took a break for a couple of months, started last week again. Got my career to about the point where i stupidly upgraded a building with th last of my credits. so i had 5770 credits left and no free contract slots. took me the whole evening to clobber together na craft able to complete the survey missions, used 5640 cr to launch... sooo proud *g*

this morning: v1.0 and i have to start all over again. *sigh*

I really like 1.0, but theres much room for improvement. Tech tree needs work. Perhaps a couple more of World First contracts before going to the mun, to familiarize the new player. I still don't get reentry - I mean, it's scary, but I stage the chute before even entering atmosphere, at like 70km. Haven't even had use for heat shield like that. When it deploys (at like 30km) , I get like a 20g spike but havent had nothing breaking apart. It's worse if I try to do a proper reentry with heat shield and staging the chute at lower speeds and altitude - that way most often something will blow up due to overheating (antennas and such). In short, im not sure why having a 20g spike is actually safer than trying reentry with heat shield..

My impressions?

Objectively, it's awesome. I've been playing quite a lot of games and with the sole exception of Cities: Skylines none felt so complete and consistent as KSP. It's stable, polished, reliable and original and all and all, it has lived up to its hype. My only pet peeve about it are the big wings. Like... Really? They gave us wings that can't be combined with another and are too small for big planes and too big for medium/small planes? IMHO this one needs to be checked. Other than that, I'm happy. The IVAs are awesome and Valentina is too. I love the ISRU and I love even more the new aero. I'm writing a review once I get home. KSP deserves more fans. Harv, if you're reading this, I want you to know that you've done a great job.

Unfortunately vanilla is disappointing for me at a first glance. Reentries are safe (comparing to deadly reentry mod), kerbals are immortal, parachutes... just parachutes. Not enough information about dV, science available, temperatures... Jumping in and out to store reports. The first node of tech tree can be purchased on hard mode even without launching. Seems that space center was built by aliens if kerbals learn something new from examining it.

However, the huge step was made since 0.9 ant KSP is still the best game ever for me )

Well, I just started a new career mode with the normal setting to gain some familiarity. So far so good, new features are pretty well integrated, and not too many bugs running the OSX version. Did get the bug where if the capsule hatch is slightly overlapped by a parachute (it an be anything but for me that's what it usually is) when you EVA on land Jeb explodes !

It does seem hard to gain science compared to the last version, very few science points on offering the contracts, I probably have to do a couple of limited sub-orbital missions to get science from local biomes. Or start making planes to get the local survey missions.

Also wondering about the tourist and VIP contracts, they seem to say that these people need to be delivered to a location but no location specified. Could just be a language issue and later contracts will have a specific location; for these early contracts it is just a sub-orbital flight.

Found the changing thrust more of a challenge for early flight, seems to force one to use Solid boosters for take off, but maybe that's realistic.

Overall pretty solid and I like it. Though I have yet to get past the first layer or two of the tech tree and explore how that is now laid out.

@Bstankovich

The new aerodynamics model is very different from the old versions and takes some getting used to if you haven't played with FAR or NEAR before.

It's actually a lot better in terms of realism, but it is a bit more difficult than the old model, especially with mach effects.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.