Wheres the Barn and Building Upgrade Changes?

Cdr_Zeta

Most of the community actually liked the barn.

IMO the old space center design was better than the one it's now replaced with.

I wouldn't say "most" of the community. Some of it. A decent portion. People hate the barn because they only got to see the horrible and ugly WIP version of it. They were working on getting the barn space center to work and look good, but they decided they wouldn't be able to get it ready in time for 1.0. Last I heard it would be coming in 1.1.

I wouldn't say "most" of the community. Some of it. A decent portion. People hate the barn because they only got to see the horrible and ugly WIP version of it. They were working on getting the barn space center to work and look good, but they decided they wouldn't be able to get it ready in time for 1.0. Last I heard it would be coming in 1.1.

What I meant to say is the idea of a barn, not necessarily what the barn looked like in its current state.

Hello,

Also I was under the impression that the 'Barn' would add another level to the VAB levels...I am glad I wasnt totally planning on this because it almost calls for a career game restart; obviously you dont build big rockets in a barn; why have a dirt airstrip then with no barn to go with it !? I build my planes in the VAB too; I dont like the editor in the hangar; too restrictive; sad.

Thanks for the tip...rollin on...

Cmdr Zeta

I would really like a barn IFF we get to launch small more amateurish stuff. But starting by launching multi thousand dollar crewed rockets built in a barn sound weird to me.

Yes. This has always been my problem with the barn. It would fit if we started off with small sounding rockets and fabric and bailing wire biplanes.

Well, the craptacular look was kind of silly, too.

Edit:

And yes, if you go look up old pictures of Goddard and some of the early guys, they have barns/sheds/cobbled together facilities.

The difference is that they weren't starting off launching Mercury and Vostok missions.

Edited by razark

Yes. This has always been my problem with the barn. It would fit if we started off with small sounding rockets and fabric and bailing wire biplanes.

Well, the craptacular look was kind of silly, too.

Generally in response to the barn doubters, there's all kinds of equipment and all kinds of facilities. Sometimes old buildings and barns get used to do really cool things.

An anecdote: I was browsing a NASA display that had a drone trainer. Not a predator or shadow or global hawk. It was a monokote covered balsawood airplane with some decent avionics inside built to be a trainer for people who would fly the Ikhana (predator) later:

596524main_droid_1_672.jpg

A distinguished Israeli engineer came up and proceeded to diss the airplane saying loudly that it was beneath NASA to use (said with almost a sneer) "hobbyist" materials. I had to privately roll my eyes at that because he didn't read the display or bothered to understand what the purpose of the vehicle was. I saw a lot of people turn red embarrassed at this gentleman's outbursts and confusion.

So my point is (generally to everyone), don't get so hung up on barns. In real life not everything need look like fancy concrete hangars and spacey control centers. Sometimes really awesome stuff happens inside a building simple enough to get the job done.

I personally don't really care whether it's a barn or what have you, but there's a big gaping hole in the career progression where another level of buildings is obviously supposed to go.

For example, you jump from like 18 tons launch limit up to something like 140, making it totally irrelevant for that stage of the game. Same with part counts on the VAB upgrades.

This was the first Boeing airplane factory:

True. But how long ago was that?

For the record, the inside of Boeing Plant 1:

yycRR93.jpg

Not exactly building high-tech spacecrafts there. Or even an airliner. As you pointed out, it was the first. (And it's not covered in trash.)

Generally in response to the barn doubters, there's all kinds of equipment and all kinds of facilities. Sometimes old buildings and barns get used to do really cool things.

Even if a space agency were to start out using a run down farm, by the time they graduated to Mercury, they wouldn't have the "covered-in-trash-and-patches" aesthetic.

...it was beneath NASA to use (said with almost a sneer) "hobbyist" materials. I had to privately roll my eyes at that because he didn't read the display or bothered to understand what the purpose of the vehicle was. I saw a lot of people turn red embarrassed at this gentleman's outbursts and confusion.

Trust me, none of that surprises me. I've seen plenty of that sort of stuff.

So my point is (generally to everyone), don't get so hung up on barns. In real life not everything need look like fancy concrete hangars and spacey control centers. Sometimes really awesome stuff happens inside a building simple enough to get the job done.

It's not so much "it's a barn" as it is "it's a trash-heap that shouldn't be". A barn is fine. As long as it fits in with the concept of an organization that is capable of launching a crewed orbital spacecraft. I'm kind of put off by the whole "Heh heh. Kerbals are dumb and build junk just to go boom" attitude.

I dislike the barn because it seems to be over emphasizing the "kerbal" aspect of kerbals. They don't launch explosive barrels into space willy nilly. They launch explosive barrels into space in a relatively controlled fashion, no matter how many times "mission failure" is synonymous with "exploded on the launch pad"

It's not so much "it's a barn" as it is "it's a trash-heap that shouldn't be". A barn is fine. As long as it fits in with the concept of an organization that is capable of launching a crewed orbital spacecraft. I'm kind of put off by the whole "Heh heh. Kerbals are dumb and build junk just to go boom" attitude.

I can dig that.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with the barn VAB and I was so mad when the forum squealers stomped it down. If anyone of them actually tried to find out about the early days of modern rocketry, they'd see it was basically like this. Crude. Yes, the overall KSC design could be better but VAB and launch site were very cool.

Squealers also tried to stomp down reentry heating. They have failed. I hope the barn will get back one day. I loved the sandbags near the launch site.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.