[1.0.5] AeroGUI v3.0, 14 Nov

NathanKell

Would it be possible to move the EAS and mach number values to the top of the window? That way you could hide most of the display off the bottom edge of the screen, keep the two most immediately useful values in clear view, and have the rest of the information ready at a moment's notice by just moving the window again.

Yes, speed of sound is related to pressure and temperature, and since both change with altitude, it will too.

Actually, for a given gas composition it's only dependant on temperature. It's proportional to the square root of pressure divided by density which is constant if the temperature is kept constant.

SpaceNomad: doh, quite right. :]

Yes, I can move EAS and Mach to the top, and yes, the keybind can be changed with a tiny bit of extra work on my part (it's a variable, but I didn't provide a way to change it. >.> ). I'll release an update soon.

v2:

* Brought Mach/EAS/TV to top.

* Added setttings file (set key, toggle keybind uses modifier key, toggle WinterOwlMode).

* Added back thermal data window. Shows lots of useful stats, plus keeps a running count of convection.

I'll fix the netkan when I get a sec, and I'll do the toolbar when I get many secs. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As this picture illustrates, lift generated by wings (blue) does not have the same vector as lift generated by other parts (cyan).

http://i.imgur.com/ENU8pYV.png

AeroGUI's "Total Lift" stat accounts for both types. Does it take these two values and just add them together? That of course would be easiest, but it would not only overstate your actual lift, it would also report a lift number that corresponds to some unknown direction in between cyan and blue lines. (Half way between them if they generate equal lift, for example)

Presumably, this is why the "Upwards Force" stat exists. I'm I correct to assume this stat does the trig to find out the force perpenticular to the ground from all aerodynamic forces (Both lift types and drag). If it is, I'm tempted to say to heck with lift to drag ratios, I want upward force to drag ratios. You may be getting fabulous lift, but 50% of it is pushing retrograde! (@ 30 degree AoA)

Body lift's cyan arrows (and the body lift algorithm) already exclude lift induced drag (because drag is already calculated for the parts). Wing lift is however fully calculated as perpendicular to the lifting source, and thus it (and the blue arrows) do include lift induced drag.

So yes, total lift adds those values together. Upward force is the dot product of that and the up axis, so that may well be what you want.

Thanks for the quick answer! My initial usage of the "Upwards Force" stat is a bit confusing. Take this screenshot. Vessel's AoA is 0°, but wings are tilted to 30°. Lift and upwards force are close (333kN). Shouldn't the upwards force be Cos(30°) lift? (288.73kN)

Checked the upwards force without the wings at the same point and speed, its near 0. IIRC, I've seen it report a number bigger than total lift before too.

Lift is calculated relative to the vessel, not the wing. If the vessel is at 0 degrees AoA, 0 degrees roll, and pointing at the horizon, by definition upwards force and lift will be identical.

Upwards force is *all* upwards force, IIRC, including the upwards component of thrust.

Hmm, I see. But the vessel in the screenshot has no thrust, so I'm not sure that can account for the difference.

Just for clarification:

Wing lift is however fully calculated as perpendicular to the lifting source...
Lift is calculated relative to the vessel, not the wing.

In terms of wings, these two descriptions seem incompatible unless I miss understand?

I'm very grateful for you're input, thank you!

AeroGUI displays only per-vessel stats. So the force each wing produces is of course correct for that part (it's just reading the force vector from the stock module after all), and then all those vectors are summed, and then the displayed vessel lift force is the vector sum of all those part vectors dotted with vessel +Z

And sure, np. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for the necro, but is this still working?

I've just downloaded the most recent version, and alt-I does nothing. Other things like KER are working fine. Any idea what could cause this?

Sorry for the minimal bug report...