Fairing Texture Issue

Initially I used Unity and lightdm, then tried lightdm with Cinnamon, both had issues with the fglrx drivers, switched to Slim and Cinnamon, still issues, now Mate with Slim and the open source drivers from oibaf work fine and stable...

Yeah, would be nice to have independent confirmation, it might be a last drastic workaround then installing either KSP or Ubuntu again ;)

I'll assume just the DE, but can anyone else suffering from this issue please test this and confirm, if this is it then I'll add it to my Linux thread.
I'm having the fairing texture glitch and I'd be happy to test this out, but I'll need to know how first. What is "DE?"

I understand what you said about deleting the GameData folder and verifying my cache in Steam, but it sounds like "swapping the DE" is something different. What is this "DE" and how do I swap it? (Apologies for asking so many basic questions, as I'm sure you can tell I'm new to all this.)

E.Nygma, that certainly clarifies what you're talking about, but I'm still not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do. Are you talking about reinstalling Ubuntu? Updating KDE? I'm not sure what specific steps I need to take to test this fix suggestion. (Yeah, I'm a Linux newb.) Thanks.

Edited by Onieronaut

The good thing about Linux is that it doesn't really matter what desktop environment (DE) you prefer, you can install nearly all of them on any distribution, so for example Kubuntu is just Ubuntu with the K desktop instead of Unity.

Most distributions have alternate DE's in their repositories and it's usually just a case of installing them, logging out selecting the new DE from the login options and logging back in.

Ubuntu 15.04 has both Slim and Mate (and many others) in the repository so they can by installed graphically via Synaptic or from the terminal with "sudo apt install mate-desktop slim" for example.

Display managers (DM's) are installed the same way, changing to another DM is not too much harder and can be done by running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm" in a terminal or by editing a file, more info here.

Slim is just providing the login screen though before starting the Mate desktop, what's also interesting is that E.Nygma is using the oibaf drivers, these are more recent x server and mesa drivers which may simply not have this issue, regardless of DE or DM.

• 3 months later...

Right... Confirm the issue with

Debian Stable, KDE 4 , AMD HD5850, Radeon open driver (backport'ed from current release), Kernel 4.3 Liquorix (parts of DRM driver sit there)

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CYPRESS
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.3.2
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
Linux tiger 4.3-3.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 4.3-10 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Looks like HyperZ-related (Z-depth fighting).

This is about the only issue I have with KSP. Very stable good framerate, even for bigger parts.

ALSO, the whole time KSP seem to use just 1 core, which could strongly impact performance on low-clocked multicore system. I get just 25% nearly all the time. Surely physics would be happy to be processed by 3 throttled cores...

Because it works on Intel, this must be the HyperZ issue. The Radeon devs had problems getting it stable to work, but I recon they enabled it sometime ago. I wonder if its possible to force-enable HyperZ...

This is the Radeon HyperZ issues thread: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75112
They seem to have fixed all issues and it should be default since Mesa 10.4.
It can be force-enabled with (this is GOG version (DRM-free ftw! =)) ):
$ export  R600_HYPERZ=1
$ ./start.sh

I will report if it works and how stable it is. But it should be quite buggy pre-10.3 (see linked thread above, comment #16)

Edit: no, its still messed up, although "echo $R600_HYPERZ" gives 1.

Edited by Kerbal101

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.