Why are the tutorial scenario's not included in the career mode

Hi,

As a first time player I find that the game has a steep learning curve. But this was because I didn't do the training scenario's. As a first time player you just "start career" and see what happens (with kind of a depressing end result).

I am a strong believer that tutorials should not exist and complex game mechanics should be explained in game so no tutorial is needed.

I do think that version 1.0 in not as noob friendly as it could be.

I should't have to watch youtube movies to know what I should do in career mode. Am I the only one?

Ps: Love the game after doing some research to know how it works.

Kind regards,

Honestly I think they'd work better implemented in ANY gamemode. Truly, I think that Career mode is not good for new players. The Tech Tree is a good place to start, allowing you to figure out what parts do at your own pace, rather than all at once, so use Science mode instead.

The problem is that rocket science is just to complex for an in-game explanation. Tutorials show better what a good rocket looks like, fuel-wise etc. Explanation is good for purpose of single items, but it is easier to use a tutorial to see how it should all be balanced. The game COULD have better tutorial-scenarios, that better shows AND explains KSP rocket science.

- - - Updated - - -

The in-game tutorial windows do refer to the training scenarios for better learning.

The problem is that rocket science is just to complex for an in-game explanation.

I also disagree. However I take a different approach than klgraham1013 on how to address this.

The real issue, for me, when I think about the Newbie Experience is that the Kerbal Space Center is way too busy to start off with. You load up a new Career - now what? Where do you go first? There are 12 buildings in front of you...

The core game is about building and successfully launching Rockets. Instead, Career Mode has all these buildings around, most of which are pretty useless to start. It's confusing to immediately start with Manage Strategies, Hire Crew, Accept Contracts, Tack Satellites, Build Space Planes, in addition to Build Rockets / Launch Rockets

The very first newbie launch should be along the lines of - here is the VAB, here is the Launch Pad - and that's it! Build Rocket / Launch Rocket / Don't Die (or die spectacularly and laugh so hard it's worth trying again)! The other buildings shouldn't be in the picture at all until certain milestones are reached whereby they become useful.

Mission Control - unlock only after the first successful recovery.

R&D - unlock only after 5 Science has been earned.

Space Plane and Runway - unlock only after the first "aerodynamic" node is unlocked.

Tracking Station - unlock only after Orbit has been achieved.

Astronaut Complex - unlock only after you buy it.

Administration - unlock only after you buy it.

Rocket Science is Hard! Trying to Manage a Space Program with all these buildings while also learning Rocket Science is really really hard!

I hadn't really thought about it, but removing all buildings from the space center scene except for VAB and Launchpad makes a lot of sense for a new career game. Requires a little more thought, but it's a really good idea.

On an aside... I understand it's almost always better to blend tutorial into gameplay but if a game doesn't do that, and you see a clearly marked "Tutorial" button on the main menu... Why not click it???

I understand it's almost always better to blend tutorial into gameplay but if a game doesn't do that, and you see a clearly marked "Tutorial" button on the main menu... Why not click it???

Because people don't. There seems to be some inherent part of the human psyche that skips tutorials, doesn't read manuals, and refuses to look at maps when lost. Game designers have had to work around this issue by integrating tutorials into the flow of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

snip

I like your ideas! ...but let the people choose: Planes or Rockets?

Completely, utterly, wholeheartedly disagree.

I've been saying since their inclusion that contracts are the perfect method to teach new players the game.

I was very unclear about what i meant, sorry. I meant that the simple texts we have now are not detailed enough, and need to show better how a rocket generally should be built; you need fuel, a rocket engine in direct connection to the tank, symmetrical layout, aerodynamical layout, what is needed to control the rocket (reaction wheels/aerodynamic control surfaces), and maybe how to reach orbit (Get out of atmosphere and burn sideways until you somehow achieve orbit). If you are new to the game and have no general education about rocketry or astronomy etc. it is sometimes hard to get this. Maybe some simple pics showing easy-to-understand models of rockets that work or does not work.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of "normal"(no astronomy/rocketry education) people thinks it's enough to get out of the atmosphere to achieve orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.