Windows 64 bit community workaround

WWEdeadman

Gonna be trying this out, but quick question. Can I uninstall Unity after I grab those 2 files that I need (according to directions OP)?

yeah, you can remove it, you just need these two listed files. :-)

I'm also getting stuck on the loading screen, even with no mods installed. And yes, I've followed the instructions correctly as far as I can tell. Just replaced KSP.exe and mono.dll. http://i.imgur.com/o3Zhqh4.png

I downloaded and installed the Unity Editor from this link: http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/UnitySetup-4.6.4.exe

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

EDIT: Reinstalled the game (by deleting the entire KSP folder manually) and now this works. Putting back mods now. :) I'm thinking that something might have went wrong when I was using Procedural Parts on 32-bit and restoring original parts with un-pruning.

EDIT2: Put the mods back in, same problem -- get stuck again. Then removed the mods and still stuck.

SOLUTION: I figured if I launch the game with Launcher.exe instead of KSP.exe (aka player_win.exe from Unity folder) I get pass the loading screen fine. If I launch with KSP.exe then it gets stuck at the end. Looks like all the mods work (namely Outer Planets Modded Mod, AVP, and all that shiny stuff). Yay!

Edited by unreal25

Hello there, I'm having a bit of a problem following your instructions.

You say to search for the path "/Data/mono"... but I don't see any file named "mono.dll" inside of it

Thanks!

EDIT: While I did find the file mono.dll inside the nested folder /mono/EmbedRuntime, I've copied it inside of the folder KSP_Data/Mono to replace the previous one, and on starting the 64bit executable it returns the following error: Unable to load mono library from "C:/Users/User/Desktop/KSP 64bit test/KSP_Data/Mono/mono.dll" (error = 193).

EDIT2: the error is the same after using steam to clear my previous KSP folder, redownloading everything, and applying all steps once more

Edited by zeropositivo

Hello there, I'm having a bit of a problem following your instructions.

You say to search for the path "/Data/mono"... but I don't see any file named "mono.dll" inside of it

Thanks!

EDIT: While I did find the file mono.dll inside the nested folder /mono/EmbedRuntime, I've copied it inside of the folder KSP_Data/Mono to replace the previous one, and on starting the 64bit executable it returns the following error: Unable to load mono library from "C:/Users/User/Desktop/KSP 64bit test/KSP_Data/Mono/mono.dll" (error = 193).

EDIT2: the error is the same after using steam to clear my previous KSP folder, redownloading everything, and applying all steps once more

Same issue, no mono.dll in the Data/mono folder, but several different mono.dll files in the subfolders and throughout the Unity install

Same issue, no mono.dll in the Data/mono folder, but several different mono.dll files in the subfolders and throughout the Unity install

Fiddling around, I found out that the Mono file we actually need to transfer is the one under "Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/windowsstandalonesupport/Variations/win64_nondevelopment/DATA/MONO", and NOT simply data/mono

Just pointing it out, it wasn't exactly clear

Fiddling around, I found out that the Mono file we actually need to transfer is the one under "Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/windowsstandalonesupport/Variations/win64_nondevelopment/DATA/MONO", and NOT simply data/mono

Great Find!

Hello, i did all steps posted by OP and im getting "failed to load mono" error (Unable to load mono library from "D:/Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2/KSP_Data/Mono/mono.dll" (error = 193).

KSP 1.0.2, Unity 4.6.4, Windows 8 64bit

Do i need different version of Unity? Thanks

It works, with issues as described earlier. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with 8g RAM and an old Intel Core2 Duo 2.66 Ghz CPU. Performance (with graphics set to high-res textures, render quality == Fantastic, terrain detail == High, frame limit == 120 FPS, anisotropic filtering OFF, force OpenGL disabled (the last two to get Scatterer to work right), and 60+ mods installed (including EVE, Scatterer, Planetshine, and Interstellar Extended) hovers at 5 to 6 gigs with occasional CTDs or system hangs. I'm going to ramp down the RAM burden by cutting back on settings and a couple of the memory-eating mods, but this will be the build I'll be playing with until they release a formal 64-bit. I have seen some occasional weirdness with it when loading x86 saves (one of my early-game satellite-deployment rockets went into a crazy hyberbolic trajectory over Kerbin during its ascent, then crashed the game); and the issue with the KSC buildings in Career Mode flipping to fully-upgraded can sometimes allow you to exploit, as sometimes the game code recognizes the upgrades as real and not just cosmetic. You can thus have your Kerbals take samples at all the KSC locations in early-game for a tech boost, discover asteroids, etc while the glitch lasts.

Annoying issues aside, this is so much better than x86 version if you like running with more than a few mods.

Hello, i did all steps posted by OP and im getting "failed to load mono" error (Unable to load mono library from "D:/Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2/KSP_Data/Mono/mono.dll" (error = 193).

KSP 1.0.2, Unity 4.6.4, Windows 8 64bit

Do i need different version of Unity? Thanks

Either you not using 64bit Exe or Dll

Get the exe file from "..\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windowsstandalonesupport\Variations\win64_nondevelopment\" player_win.exe,

and move it to your KSP Dir. "..\Kerbal Space Program\" where you rename it to KSP.exe, and overwrite the file that already is there.

Then goto "..\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windowsstandalonesupport\Variations\win64_nondevelopment\Data\Mono\" and get the Mono.dll,

and move it to the KSP Dir to. "..\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\Mono\" and overwrite the file there.

And it is the right Unity version. :)

Edited by Lumaan

I thought that that was quite clear. Well, I'll update the OP to have the full path...

anyone try it with the dll and exe from 4.6.5 just for fun? would be curious if a) it worked and B) maybe it was better

That would just produce an error, because of the game being compiled in a different version.

Edited by WWEdeadman

I followed all the steps in your post, but every time I try to run KSP, I get the following message:

Data Folder not found

There should be 'KSP.exe_Data'

folder next to the executable

You probably have the KSP.exe file called KSP.exe.exe. That error only happens if the .exe file isn't called the same as the _Data folder. Make sure you see file extensions. There should be a Windows setting to turn those on.

Been playing all day yesterday, +60 addons (many more mods), not a single crash. Plus I can play with textures in full res which almost doubles the memory usage. Around 5.5Gb, including visuals, coulds and ..... Nada, perfect.

The only bug I have is in Carrer, sometimes buildings appear fully upgraded on Space Center, you ahve to enter and exit VAB. Although it's just an aesthetic bug.

Edited by eodh

i know, i actually did exactly as posted by OP and you, several times, reinstalled etc. i think there is no way i could do these simple steps wrong, but thank you very much for reply. i will fiddle with it some more, i hope i wont feel too dumb when i figure this one out.

Edited by klobasa

I have tested this workaround since Friday.

Everything seems to work fine. The structural joints mod does not work with the 64 bit version, but I experienced no crashes, and no real hiccups so to speak. Now that the solid joints mod (I cannot remember the name of it) does not work, I have to rethink some of my ships and constructions, but that is but a minor issue. ***NOTE*** Just found the workaround a few pages back...thanks!!!!

If the OP would actually increase the first post to include mods that have been tested and either (work), (inoperable) or (sometimes work), that would give many of us who are using many mods how this may affect our gameplay.

Btw, has anyone tested these mods out, and whether they work in 64 bit mode?

UKS/MKS Kolonization mod

Infernal Robotics

ALCOR

Cheers!

Edited by Gaultesian

Well, this worked ok for a whole 2 days...

Today, however, the problems started. There seems to be some heavy stuttering going on, despite the framerate being listed as being quite stable at 25fps. Hiding the UI somewhat alleviates it, but not by much

I cannot be a performance issue, as KSP is listed as using just above 5gb or ram out of my 16 total

@Gaultesian

from what I've tested, the 3 big mods that are incompatible with 64bit Win are FAR, DRE and realchutes

Edited by zeropositivo

So, I've followed the instructions by WWEdeadman and I have to say it worked like a charm. I did have issues with entry to Kerbin, but that was because of FAR.

I'm getting a strange issue now. Sometime the game loads with no issue, however as of late the game is loading into a blank screen and stays there. Task manager is confirming something is going on, but I cannot find out what.

Also, playing around it seems to load in direct x 11 no problem. So the issue might be with Dx 9.

Edited by ArmouredStrife
Correct spelling and grammar. Also update information.

Just posting to say that for the first time I have had over 200 mods installed with a memory footprint of over 6GB. Seemed to run fine for the limited time I tested it.

Have reduced that number to the mods I actually want. Now I get to see astronomers visual mod packs in full res for the first time :)

This bodes well for KSP 64 official based on Unity 5...

This is the error i am receiving with a fresh install of KSP following these instructions.

http://i.imgur.com/1BueIww.png

Try run the KSP.exe with administrator rights *Right click the KSP.exe and use the "Run as administrator"*.

*Edit: This might be the problem

-The "Could..... not preload global game manager #0 i=0" error is what you get if you don't use the correct version of the Unity Player.

To be sure (and to reproduce the operation once the engine will be updated, without waiting for an update here): right click on your original KSP.exe.

Go to "details" and check the version. You should be able to see what Unity version you need to download. (launcher.exe and KSP.exe don't use the same version)

Info from here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82118-KSP-64bits-on-Windows-%28this-time-it-s-not-a-request%29

Edited by Lumaan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.