Windows 64 bit community workaround

WWEdeadman

@Lumaan: Today after 2-3 hours of game time, I didn't see any high memory use. It kept below 3,6 Gb as far as I could see.

The mouse click became unusable again though. I have to click maybe 10-15 times on a part, alternating between left and right mouse button, to get the right click menu to show.

Is this a typical 64 bit issue?

@kludermor: If you in Settings (In KSP menu before you start a game) under General tab change the "Max Physics Delta-Time per Frame" too 0.05 or maybe even 0.06 from default 0.04 it will make it better.

The mouse click became unusable again though. I have to click maybe 10-15 times on a part, alternating between left and right mouse button, to get the right click menu to show.

Is this a typical 64 bit issue?

I can confirm this behavior since 1.04. In 1.02 the only mouse issue I had was the documented right-click lock when exiting the KSP window. Now it seems the longer I play the more spamming right-click I have to do to bring up the tooltip windows. And yeah, eventually I end up left and right clicking back and forth to force a reaction from right click.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

This guy has the issue too:

@Lumaan: I will try this tomorrow. I haven't got time to test tonight, because the behaviour kicks in after longer play sessions.

@Roninpawn: I'm so glad not to be alone. Space is a big and empty place to be alone in. :) Nice video by the way! :) :)

I also have the mouse click issues (and rare crashes), but it seems to appear randomly, I haven't identified specific conditions. I'm considering to install a dual-boot linux just for playing KSP... Not an ideal solution though. About 64 bit unity files redistribution, I've sent a mail asking for clarification to Unity, and haven't got any answer, so I'm gonna assume they don't care (and, more importantly, because I don't see any reason they should care). So I'll release the tool on github soon.

@kludermor: If you in Settings (In KSP menu before you start a game) under General tab change the "Max Physics Delta-Time per Frame" too 0.05 or maybe even 0.06 from default 0.04 it will make it better.

I did some testing. Not scientific, and I could be wrong about the results.

I started with 0.06. And I had trouble with the mouse click straight away. Then I tried 0.03 and it felt better than the default 0.04. I played for 1½ hour and only had few issues with unresponsive mouse clicks. But it could be the same as default 0.04 because I did not test for as long as I usually play. The ram use went up to 4,7Gb, but was stable for the first hour below 4Gb.

Youen, you're not permitted to distribute the individual unity files. So your link might get removed by a mod.

Could you please point out where in the agreements it states this. From my investigations, I have found that the next block of quoted text is the relevent section in redistribution.

https://unity3d.com/legal/eula]

2. Restrictions.

5. General Restrictions. Except as expressly specified in this Agreement, you may not: (a) copy (except in the course of loading or installing) or modify or create derivative works of the Software; (B) distribute, transfer, sublicense, lease, lend, rent or otherwise provide access to the Software to any third party; © make the functionality of the Software available to multiple users or third parties through any means, including but not limited to by uploading the Software to a network or file-sharing service or through any hosting, application services provider, service bureau, software-as-a-service (SaaS) or any other type of services; (d) use the Software to develop a competing product; or (e) do anything that could cause or result in the Software (including the runtime portion thereof) being subject to any open source license (or similar license) that requires as a condition of use, modification or distribution that the Software (including the runtime portion thereof) or other software combined or distributed with the Software be: (i) disclosed or distributed in source code form; (ii) licensed for the purpose of making derivative works; or (iii) redistributable at no charge. You acknowledge and agree that portions of the Software, including but not limited to the source code and the specific design and structure of individual modules or programs, are confidential and constitute or contain trade secrets of Unity and its licensors. Accordingly, you agree not to disassemble, decompile or reverse engineer the Software, in whole or in part, or permit or authorize a third party to do so, except to the extent such activities are expressly permitted by law notwithstanding this prohibition.

From this, I gather that only things that you make with unity, The functions of producing a product with unity, and other like activites are against agreement. But not taking a small componant from the build function.

Eitherway, A tool is easier than downloading 1.6Gb of Unity just for a 64bit hack

Could you please point out where in the agreements it states this. From my investigations, I have found that the next block of quoted text is the relevent section in redistribution.

From this, I gather that only things that you make with unity, The functions of producing a product with unity, and other like activites are against agreement. But not taking a small componant from the build function.

Eitherway, A tool is easier than downloading 1.6Gb of Unity just for a 64bit hack

https://unity3d.com/legal/eula]

2. Restrictions.

5. General Restrictions. Except as expressly specified in this Agreement, you may not: (a) copy (except in the course of loading or installing) or modify or create derivative works of the Software; (B)distribute, transfer, sublicense, lease, lend, rent or otherwise provide access to the Software to any third party; © make the functionality of the Software available to multiple users or third parties through any means, including but not limited to by uploading the Software to a network or file-sharing service or through any hosting, application services provider, service bureau, software-as-a-service (SaaS) or any other type of services; (d) use the Software to develop a competing product; or (e) do anything that could cause or result in the Software (including the runtime portion thereof) being subject to any open source license (or similar license) that requires as a condition of use, modification or distribution that the Software (including the runtime portion thereof) or other software combined or distributed with the Software be: (i) disclosed or distributed in source code form; (ii) licensed for the purpose of making derivative works; or (iii) redistributable at no charge. You acknowledge and agree that portions of the Software, including but not limited to the source code and the specific design and structure of individual modules or programs, are confidential and constitute or contain trade secrets of Unity and its licensors. Accordingly, you agree not to disassemble, decompile or reverse engineer the Software, in whole or in part, or permit or authorize a third party to do so, except to the extent such activities are expressly permitted by law notwithstanding this prohibition.

"make the 64bit of the Software available to multiple users or third parties through any means" so yeah it's against the agreement.

Edited by Lumaan

"make the 64bit of the Software available to multiple users or third parties through any means" so yeah it's against the agreement.

I understand how that could be taken as not distrubuting any part of the software, But I guess iits down to the interpretation of the reader, as I read it as the functionality of unity as a whole, not parts that are actively distributed during the sale of a unity project. Ill see if I can get in contact with unity's PR group and get a definitive answer.

I've thought a bit more about it, and the fact is I have no clue wether this kind of redistribution is allowed or not, so, since Unity did not answer my question (I've e-mailed them a few weeks ago), and since I don't really care (as I obviously don't get any benefit from the whole thing), I've decided to remove the incriminated files.

As a result, the tool can still be used to patch other mod DLLs, but you have to patch KSP yourself (see the opening post of this thread for that first step). Also, you'll have to either compile the tool yourself, or wait for the next release that won't include the KSP patching stuff.

It's quite a shame as it makes the procedure more complicated and wastes bandwidth and time to download the whole Unity editor, but there it is.

In any case, I hope Squad will properly support 64bit in a future version of KSP :-)

- - - Updated - - -

I understand how that could be taken as not distrubuting any part of the software, But I guess iits down to the interpretation of the reader, as I read it as the functionality of unity as a whole, not parts that are actively distributed during the sale of a unity project. Ill see if I can get in contact with unity's PR group and get a definitive answer.

I agree on the fact that redistributing Unity binaries as part of a game (called "licensee content" in the EULA) is clearly allowed (assuming you comply with the conditions and use the right Unity license), otherwise there would be no Unity game at all. I think the issue here is to know wether this mod can be considered "licensee content" or not. It's probably a situation they didn't think about when they wrote the agreement.

As cited in a previous post, I'm referring to this part of the EULA: "[unity grants you a license] to distribute the runtime portion of the Software, on a royalty-free basis, solely as embedded or incorporated into Licensee Content and solely to third parties to whom you license or sell Licensee Content"

- - - Updated - - -

The EULA defines the terme "Software": "“Software†means all 5.x versions and updates of all the Unity software products identified on Unity’s website.". I believe they talk about the complete Unity editor.

Edited by Youen

The thing is that KSP is not shipping the 64bit (functionality of the Software) part of Unity, so by taking the 64bit files from Unity Dev Software and making a zip/rar/7z ect, other can download you are breaking the Unity agreement.

Thanks for making and distributing the package Youen. It's probably best to just let people get the 4.6.4 files themselves; despite the ridiculous download.

But again I am compelled to say: The Unity agreement is a matter of civil law. Civil law doesn't mete out punishment and it doesn't act arbitrarily. Civil and contract courts seek to make injured parties whole. The redistribution of these two files does not injure Unity as a legal entity. So regardless of the text of the agreement - IMHO - Unity would have no actionable claim here even if they wanted to bring one. (Which, of course, they wouldn't because you're saving them 1gb of bandwidth per person per annum ad infinitum en perpetuum legal word legal word legal word YES.)

And while this theoretically falls in the realm of Intellectual Property law, applicably speaking the property owner's rights are in no way undermined by the usage here. If a court intervened and found you in breach of the written text - again - what can they possibly return to Unity when Unity has lost nothing?

This is the sort of download that shouldn't be on an official code repository because its not to the exact letter of the law, but that should remain *FREE*-ly (emphasis added) available via an independent alternative because it benefits everyone and harms no one.

Confirmed working for me without a hitch (...until now. Damn. Now I jinxed it! :D) except for the right-click bug.

I went absolutely overboard with mods though I did have to use jrodriguez' unfixer.

And don't worry, modders or Squad. I won't come a-knockin' if this stops working. It's all on me. :kiss:

(Sorry it's in Dutch)

wputeNq.png

Here's my totally bat-crazy modlist:

(not including rareden's Real 8K skybox)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by kreutzkevic
removed violation of rule 2.2.g

Hello Everybody,

I have tried this Hack tonight for the first time. I have to admit that I do no longer have crashes when developing my big crafts, but I get the bug "empty athmosphere", i.e. no drag at all... I have replaced the following files/folders:

KSP.exe

KSP_data/mono/mono.dll

KSP_data/mono/etc/ (the whole directory)

KSP_data/Resources/unity default resources

KSP_data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll

I'm using a huge amount of mods, but not FAR or other physics modifying mods.

Does anyone have a solution/workaround for that?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.