Windows 64 bit community workaround

WWEdeadman

hi all. i'm trying to run the new Renaissance compilation which is the largest memory hog since Ol' Bessy the Memory Hog. i did what the OP said and copied the two new files into my KSP directory, but when i go to run, it says

"There should be 'KSP_Data' folder next to the executable"

Of course, the KSP_Data folder is just fine and chillin' in the same spot since 1989. I did a quick search of this error but couldn't find anything to help me. Anyone out there got a plan of attack here?

I tried out the unity files 4_6_4  on 1.0.5 and it worked out exactly as described in 1st post. I had the buildings thing sometimes, one klick on VAB and one klick back, buildings were ok again. I saw the fireball picture once, when joining or exiting a building and I had the left klick is right klick thing. Loading screen warns about the 64Bit version and a weird animal, like a pig with a cat face or so is jumping across the screen while loading and farts out a rainbow. 

So far so good, beside that disturbing little bugs I didn´t notice any difference to 32 bit. No performance boost or at least getting rid of the annoying scratchy sounds during flight. Absolutely nothing seems to be any better than before. So I wonder if this version actually uses the RAM enhancement!? And I wonder how to check that? Any ideas?

But that´s just to satisfy my curiosity, I´m going back to 32 Bit anyway.

So, is there a workaround for the buildings only appearing to be fully upgraded? Changing scene does not fix it anymore.

EDIT: Changing the Mode = value in persistent.sfs to SCIENCE_SANDBOX seems to fix it. It appears to keep the contracts intact too.

EDIT2: That does not seem to fix astronaut complex and mission control though.

EDIT3: Just play science sandbox mode.

Edited by Shurikeeen

It works!! Thanks a lot @WWEdeadman

On 26/12/2015 at 7:57 PM, HUG said:

So I wonder if this version actually uses the RAM enhancement!? And I wonder how to check that? Any ideas?

But that´s just to satisfy my curiosity, I´m going back to 32 Bit anyway.

Load KSP with all the mods you can think of. If you have a lot of them, the simple fact that the game will load is proof that it works. Also you can check your task manager to see that it goes above 3.3Go without crashing.

On 28/12/2015 at 2:17 AM, Shurikeeen said:

So, is there a workaround for the buildings only appearing to be fully upgraded? Changing scene does not fix it anymore.

EDIT: Changing the Mode = value in persistent.sfs to SCIENCE_SANDBOX seems to fix it. It appears to keep the contracts intact too.

EDIT2: That does not seem to fix astronaut complex and mission control though.

EDIT3: Just play science sandbox mode.

Changing scenes didn't help for me either. And the cheat menu - max facilities didn't work.

But in order to play in career mode, one solution is to edit your save file. Go to the ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities lines. And change lvl = 0 to lvl = 1 for all of them except the flagpole. Not the perfect solution, as you don't get to upgrade your buildings but still better than no solution for career.

Edited by Nookos

20 hours ago, Nookos said:
20 hours ago, Nookos said:

Load KSP with all the mods you can think of. If you have a lot of them, the simple fact that the game will load is proof that it works. Also you can check your task manager to see that it goes above 3.3Go without crashing.

But in order to play in career mode, one solution is to edit your save file. Go to the ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities lines. And change lvl = 0 to lvl = 1 for all of them except the flagpole.

Ay task manager :rolleyes: sometimes the solution is maybe too simple for my kerbalized brain. regarding the mods, I use about 20. In 32 Bit they work, but I have one issue which is anoying with planes on Kerbin. It always CTD at least 1 time per flight and I dare this is because of the RAM is running full. I haven´t had the issue since 1.05 until yesterday and that was because I didn´t fly a plane in 1.05 until yesterday :D 

So I´ll give the 64Bit another try using the save file buildings = 1 thing in career. I hope to solve the CTD´s in planes with it, because this is really disturbing.

Thnx for the hints!

EDIT: I started a new game on KSP64, changed the save file to "all buildings fully upgraded" (as described by Nookos). For that I enabled "parts entry purchase", so money hasn´t become totally worthless. I kept my mods and used the x64unfixer tool (as described in Jim Kernan´s post below). And have to say, I´m very pleased with the result yet. It´s not disturbing me, not to upgrade my HQ by myself at all since I have to pay for science parts. And the rest seems to work like in 32Bit. Can´t tell if it will fix my plane issues as Jebeddiah Kermanov just had the first rocket flight of his entire life. But I´m confident about it looking forward to try out. Even if it´s still there, as long as the 64 bit will not start to do crazy unexpected things anytime, I keep it until 1.1. Thnx comrades also in the name of our great leader  Wladimir Iljitsch Kermanov.

Edited by HUG

uhm...my camera is doing weird things when I fly through 6000m with a rocket (at least I still can´t tell anything about planes yet). As soo as my rocket reaches the 6000 it stops following the spacecraft and it´s moving weird around, not possible to explain that kind of behavior. IVA is still working then but returning to ext. camera doesn´t fix the issue. It´stays weird and after the craft landed anywhere, I can´t recover it as it seems like spinning around. In IVA I then find the vessel not moving at all and everything is fine. The only way to recover it, is to EVA after landing as EVA camera is also still working perfect.

Have you ever heard of such an issue maybe? I didn´t find much in this topic accordingly :(

EDIT: The issue must be related to a contract. It wants me to haul a MK16: 6000 - 11000m ; 40-240m/s. I once failed that contract as of too high speed and edit2, probably wrong, I think it never used to work with MK16 >>>right after that fail the camera issues started from next flight on<<<edit2, probably wrong, I think it never used to work with MK16. When I remembered that, I simply took down the MK16 et voila camera works again. Can´t tell yet if this was a one timer or whatever. All flights with issues I started from launch pad, the latest flight with MK16 off, I started from VAB...questions about questions...but not a reason for me to give up yet, I want to check out the planes first on 64Bit, if KSP lets me. 

EDIT2: I tested a few scenarios with the MK16 and can tell for 99.9% sure, it´s the part itself which is corrupt. I declined the contract, but the issue remained starting with MK16. When I puted it directly to the vessel (I transported it in a container for the contract) there is no chute stage showing off.

Edited by HUG
FYI

On 12/31/2015 at 7:37 PM, HUG said:

uhm...my camera is doing weird things when I fly through 6000m with a rocket (at least I still can´t tell anything about planes yet). As soo as my rocket reaches the 6000 it stops following the spacecraft and it´s moving weird around, not possible to explain that kind of behavior. IVA is still working then but returning to ext. camera doesn´t fix the issue. It´stays weird and after the craft landed anywhere, I can´t recover it as it seems like spinning around. In IVA I then find the vessel not moving at all and everything is fine. The only way to recover it, is to EVA after landing as EVA camera is also still working perfect.

Have you ever heard of such an issue maybe? I didn´t find much in this topic accordingly :(

EDIT: The issue must be related to a contract. It wants me to haul a MK16: 6000 - 11000m ; 40-240m/s. I once failed that contract as of too high speed and edit2, probably wrong, I think it never used to work with MK16 >>>right after that fail the camera issues started from next flight on<<<edit2, probably wrong, I think it never used to work with MK16. When I remembered that, I simply took down the MK16 et voila camera works again. Can´t tell yet if this was a one timer or whatever. All flights with issues I started from launch pad, the latest flight with MK16 off, I started from VAB...questions about questions...but not a reason for me to give up yet, I want to check out the planes first on 64Bit, if KSP lets me. 

EDIT2: I tested a few scenarios with the MK16 and can tell for 99.9% sure, it´s the part itself which is corrupt. I declined the contract, but the issue remained starting with MK16. When I puted it directly to the vessel (I transported it in a container for the contract) there is no chute stage showing off.

Are you using RealChutes? I seem to remember and issue with the stock MK16 after installing one version of RealChutes. On that save I kept plugging along and ignored any contracts involving the MK16 chute.

2 hours ago, Jim Kernan said:

Are you using RealChutes? I seem to remember and issue with the stock MK16 after installing one version of RealChutes. On that save I kept plugging along and ignored any contracts involving the MK16 chute.

Yes I use real chute and FAR. I simply deleted the stock chutes from parts folder: KSP Main/GameData/Squad/Parts/Utility (deleted folders: MK1 (= MK 16) - MK 25) I don´t nned them anyways and by deliting them I don´t get any contract offers accordingly anymore.

Since I did this, I´ve had absolutely no more issues yet. If there´s nothing more coming up, I´d say the 64bit runs at least as stable as 32bit and if people have regularly CTD´s and wouldn´t mind a fully upgraded HQ in carreer mode, they might want to give it a try.

On 12/26/2015 at 10:47 AM, dresoccer4 said:

im hi all. i'm trying to run the new Renaissance compilation which is the largest memory hog since Ol' Bessy the Memory Hog. i did what the OP said and copied the two new files into my KSP directory, but when i go to run, it says

Of course, the KSP_Data folder is just fine and chillin' in the same spot since 1989. I did a quick search of this error but couldn't find anything to help me. Anyone out there got a plan of attack here?

im having the same problem ):

im hi all. i'm trying to run the new Renaissance compilation which is the largest memory hog since Ol' Bessy the Memory Hog. i did what the OP said and copied the two new files into my KSP directory, but when i go to run, it says

I'm also having the error "There should be 'KSP_Data' folder next to the executable" after following all the steps perfect any help would be great

On 1/3/2016 at 0:44 AM, pilot410 said:

im having the same problem ):

Me too. 

Following the exact steps outlined. Installing 4.6.4. Copying the two files into the correct location and renaming them. 

Has anyone else encountered this problem and overcome it? 

17 hours ago, Jameswarner said:

The fix is delete the ".exe" you wrote at the end of the file. I opened the file in a text editor and noticed it was ksp.exe.exe in the tab. Solved. 

I'm not sure if this reply is directed at my issue, however there is no additional .exe on the end of the file

yeah the "buildings fully upgradable bug" is not reversible at all, and it is a fairly major problem. I cannot play KSP in 32bit even with openGL mode, barely a handful of mods. 

Guess I can't play KSP until there is an official 64bit mode or squad fixes the hordes of memory leaks... which will probably never happen :(

12 hours ago, Moikle said:

yeah the "buildings fully upgradable bug" is not reversible at all, and it is a fairly major problem. I cannot play KSP in 32bit even with openGL mode, barely a handful of mods. 

Guess I can't play KSP until there is an official 64bit mode or squad fixes the hordes of memory leaks... which will probably never happen :(

Hi, have you noticed the conversation earlier in this thread about it, there is at least a good possibility to avoid this by changing the "persistent.sfs" in your saves/name_of_your_savegame folder. First open it, search for the lines as follows and change them to exactly as follows:

name = ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities
  scene = 5, 6, 7, 8
  SpaceCenter/LaunchPad
  {
   lvl = 1
  }
  SpaceCenter/Runway
  {
   lvl = 1
  }
  SpaceCenter/VehicleAssemblyBuilding
  {
   lvl = 1
  }
  SpaceCenter/SpaceplaneHangar
  {
   lvl = 1
  }
  SpaceCenter/TrackingStation
  {
   lvl = 1
  }
  SpaceCenter/AstronautComplex
  {
   lvl = 1
  }
  SpaceCenter/MissionControl
  {
   lvl = 1
  }
  SpaceCenter/ResearchAndDevelopment
  {
   lvl = 1
  }
  SpaceCenter/Administration
  {
   lvl = 1
  }
  SpaceCenter/FlagPole
  {
   lvl = 0

I recomend to start a new game and go back to main menu right after you see the space center for the very first time. Then do like in description above. Now you have the space center fully upgraded from the beginning. That´s the bad news, but if you start your career by setting up entry fees for new parts, you need almost as much money as before, when this option turned off but you needed to upgrade facilities. And the bug disappears :) That´s the good news ;)

For me this works perfect. But of course it´s just perfect if you can live with a fully upgraded space center from the beginning on.

cheers

Edited by HUG

This is working PERFECT for me with MUCH better performance with many mods.

except for one MAJOR problem.

Parachutes don't work.. at all,  cannot arm or deploy them and they do not show up in the staging tree when I add them to a ship..

Aside from this one issue, everything works.

EDIT:  I have tried it with both realchutes and stock, same result, neither works. 

Problem SOLVED!

It was FAR causing it, removed it and now Realchutes and regular work fine.

Cant get EVE to work yet though, still messing with it.

Aside from that the game plays --PERFECT--  zero crashes, much higher FPS,  for the first time I can run Real Solar with the highest res textures with no crash, and on top of that I maxxed out all the game settings and its still smooth as glass, it would be a slide show followed by a crash in 32bit

Edited by Wingnutt

hi all. i'm trying to run the new Renaissance compilation which is the largest memory hog since Ol' Bessy the Memory Hog. i did what the OP said and copied the two new files into my KSP directory, but when i go to run, it says

I know that plenty of people have said this already, but I am having the same problem. I am not sure what I have done wrong, I have copied player_win.exe and mono.dll, renames the executable and all that. Is there something I'm missing, or does the new unity version not work?

nuCE3Ln.png

This looks like such a promising work around for memory leaks but I'm falling at the first hurdle unfortunately; I've downloaded and installed a copy of Unity 4.6.4 but in the "Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines" folder I only have a folder called "WebPlayer". Have I missed a trick somewhere that means that Unity isn't creating the  "windowsstandalonesupport" folder and the files that I need?

EDIT: Nevermind. I was looking in "Program Files/Unity" instead of "Program Files(x86)"

Edited by donny_boy01

On 11/01/2016 at 4:13 AM, Arugnot said:

I know that plenty of people have said this already, but I am having the same problem. I am not sure what I have done wrong, I have copied player_win.exe and mono.dll, renames the executable and all that. Is there something I'm missing, or does the new unity version not work?

nuCE3Ln.png

Im having the same issue. Is there a fix yet? 

On 06/01/2016 at 2:01 AM, Jameswarner said:

The fix is delete the ".exe" you wrote at the end of the file. I opened the file in a text editor and noticed it was ksp.exe.exe in the tab. Solved. 

Yehaa glad you posted that got the ERROR message then noticed the exe.exe. thanks for that

Now watching a rainbow cat running across the screen coz of you :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.