Windows 64 bit community workaround

WWEdeadman

If I'm running 16 gigs of RAM on a quad core, would this work around improve frame rates with larger craft?
Nope, Bosun. Framerate in your situation more dependant of CPU perfomance because of physics calculations. More parts -> more calculations. In some cases this workaround improves perfomance but not enough to made the game run smooth with Death Star on the screen.

Sorry for my English, it's not native.

Hi guys having some success with this but there's a lot of revert/reload instability and a lot of disappearing KSC and the weird camera going to orbit thing going on. Also some infuriating bugs where I'm not able to click buildings/menu options/etc... I'm not sure how many of these are 32-bit as well I'm just flagging them up because I haven't seen these kind of bugs represented in this thread it's mostly people saying how well it works for them :( which is disheartening. Could this be related to transferring save and Gamedata folder from 64-bit KSP on Linux? Cheers kids, keep it real x

Slevin -

Ah, got it. My CPU lists 8 cores, though it is a quad, I'm assuming, because of the 64 bits. It was my assumption that this would allow all my CPUs to process the game as well in 64. This mod does not affect CPU affinity, or the ability to run the processes in 64 bits through the CPU? It only affects RAM amount recognized?

I wonder if it's possible for someone to write a mod that calculates all physics for connected parts as one unit. (Not knowing a lot about code, I assume this is against the very core coding of the game, or it'd have been done by now.)

I wonder if it's possible for someone to write a mod that calculates all physics for connected parts as one unit. (Not knowing a lot about code, I assume this is against the very core coding of the game, or it'd have been done by now.)

Not sure that it will help. One of the gameplay feature is to ride you construction as far as possible in one piece. Connections between different parts and behavior of this connections is the object of phisics calculations. Such mod will disable this challenge.

Anyone else getting a ridiculous CPU utilization? I'm running an i5-4440 and I've installed a healthy amount of mods, but for some reason my CPU usage is around 60-90%. When i first started using this workaround with only a few mods, it definitely wasnt that high, but my RAM usage is only around 3.3 gigs. The CPU usage starts at like 50% and then ends up crashing the game and having poor performance after a few launches.

Weird, but hey, the workaround has been working nicely otherwise. Just waiting for the day that we get Unity 5 and (hopefully) native 64 support.

Gonna ask a pretty stupid question, but does the Unity 4.6.4 installer contain any kind of phone-home rootkits that remain on your system after uninstall? After dealing with stuff like Hackshield and other similar rootkits designed by awful devs, I've been pretty burned out on installing stuff that contains any kind of DRM.

Edited by IggyHitokage

Gonna ask a pretty stupid question, but does the Unity 4.6.4 installer contain any kind of phone-home rootkits that remain on your system after uninstall? After dealing with stuff like Hackshield and other similar rootkits designed by awful devs, I've been pretty burned out on installing stuff that contains any kind of DRM.

Just unpack the .exe (Unity installer) file with 7zip and get the files you need for 64bit ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Sooo... I hate to be that guy but...

can I get this working for mac?

I know that there is files for Mac in same way as for Windows in Unity, if they are any use I don't know.

Well, after two days of fiddling with 64-bit, gotta say, I absolutely love it.

Running three planet packs (NH, K+, OPM) together all at once, EVE and other visual enhancement mods with a grand total of 40-45 mods. Nearly 7GB of usage on average... and NO CRASHES! Experiencing the average minor bugs, only one that is annoying is the upgraded buildings one which is easily remedied with a few scene changes.

Hi all. I really could do with some guidance here. Last night I spent 3 hours trying to get 64bit running but no matter what I tried all I get when I run the .exe is

Data Folder not found

There should be 'KSP.exe_Data'

folder next to the executable

I have followed the instructions on the first page of this post exactly to the letter using fresh installs and the correct version of unity as stated. I have also tried using the latest version of unity but with the same results.

I have read through this thread and still I cannot fathom it.

Could some kind pilot please explain in a dumbed down way some simple steps for me to follow.

I can provide any extra information you may need.

Thankyou in advance :)

Edited by maceemiller

Hi all. I really could do with some guidance here. Last night I spent 3 hours trying to get 64bit running but no matter what I tried all I get when I run the .exe is

Data Folder not found

There should be 'KSP.exe_Data'

folder next to the executable

I have followed the instructions on the first page of this post exactly to the letter using fresh installs and the correct version of unity as stated. I have also tried using the latest version of unity but with the same results.

I have read through this thread and still I cannot fathom it.

Could some kind pilot please explain in a dumbed down way some simple steps for me to follow.

I can provide any extra information you may need.

Thankyou in advance :)

I'm sure it's because Windows Explore is hiding file extension of known ones. So open Windows Explore and at the top there should be a menu called "View" *If not then press the "Alt"-key and you'll get it, click on the "Folder Options" - In there go to tab "View" and uncheck the "Hide extensions of known file types".

And then I sure if you go into you KSP dir. you'll see KSP.exe.exe, rename it to only KSP.exe.

Hope it helps.

I'm sure it's because Windows Explore is hiding file extension of known ones. So open Windows Explore and at the top there should be a menu called "View" *If not then press the "Alt"-key and you'll get it, click on the "Folder Options" - In there go to tab "View" and uncheck the "Hide extensions of known file types".

And then I sure if you go into you KSP dir. you'll see KSP.exe.exe, rename it to only KSP.exe.

Hope it helps.

You sir are a legend!! Worked first time and after an hour or so of play I havn't experienced a single problem! Thankyou so much :)

Awesome! Been using 64bit all afternoon/evening and its so good! Only 2 things ive found wrongish are 2 ive seen mentioned here........pods icon dissapears yet go into subassemblies and back and pods return and the right/left mouse buttons after closing the game being reversed, again a simple fix by simply tapping each button a few times fast on the desktop.

Cant say about the building's as I only play sandbox. Id backed up my entire KSP folder before trying this but there was nothing to fear.

Excellent!

Awesome! Been using 64bit all afternoon/evening and its so good! Only 2 things ive found wrongish are 2 ive seen mentioned here........pods icon dissapears yet go into subassemblies and back and pods return and the right/left mouse buttons after closing the game being reversed, again a simple fix by simply tapping each button a few times fast on the desktop.

Cant say about the building's as I only play sandbox. Id backed up my entire KSP folder before trying this but there was nothing to fear.

Excellent!

If you click rapidly in the parts corner between fuel tanks and pods, it'll reappear after a bit. At least, that's what I do to get it to show up again. Clicking around in that general area seems to work too.

Looks like we have to stop playing around with 64bit KSP for now. :(

To know why read this post from sarbian http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113069-WIN-1-0-X-KSP-x64-Total-Unfixer-v2-1-18-07-2015?p=2113398&viewfull=1#post2113398

And please don't disagree with sarbian on this one, somebody played dirty on this one, and I can understand why sarbian is doing this now, sad but understandable :(

Edited by Lumaan

Looks like we have to stop playing around with 64bit KSP for now. :(

To know why read this post from sarbian http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113069-WIN-1-0-X-KSP-x64-Total-Unfixer-v2-1-18-07-2015?p=2113398&viewfull=1#post2113398

And please don't disagree with sarbian on this one, somebody played dirty on this one, and I can understand why sarbian is doing this now, sad but understandable :(

That... is extremely unfortunate. I knew the first thing that I signed off on when I moved to 64-bit was lack of support, I've had a handful of other issues with mods and I haven't had any inclination to report them since switching to 64-bit. Really wish whoever did this had some common sense.

This is sad news from Sarbian. I have used the 64 bit windows version and found that it was fine except for the few known issues. Using the remover mod made it so I could use mods that were otherwise unavailable. Now someone has made a boneheaded decision and messed things up for us. I had a hunch that it was only a matter of time, but at least we know that it works well enough to play with. I'm not at all upset with Sarbian, he had made his stance on 64-bit KSP known quite some time ago.

I made the 64 workaround, so far seems very stable with many mods.

However the frame rate is deplorable, even a single SRB will lag enough to make the game unplayable.

I run x32 with no issues (aside from memory crashes), and 1.0 really seemed to make graphics smoother.

so close, and yet so far... any ideas?

thx

I made the 64 workaround, so far seems very stable with many mods.

However the frame rate is deplorable, even a single SRB will lag enough to make the game unplayable.

I run x32 with no issues (aside from memory crashes), and 1.0 really seemed to make graphics smoother.

so close, and yet so far... any ideas?

thx

Using "-force-d3d11" when launching the game?

If not we need some info on mods/system spect.

Thanks for getting back to me. I am not much of a hacker, what is "-force-d3d11"... did I miss this in the instructions?

strange part is that VAB works perfectly.

windows7 (on a MacPro)

Dual Xeon E5462 2.8G

10GB Ram/ AMD Radeon HD5800 series 2Gig.

Mods:

toolbar

aviation lights

wayland corp

biodomes

boulder co

EVE

FASA

hooligan labs

KAS

infernal robotics

mechjeb2

near future

part wizard

soviet pack

sbd

squad

@gmcr70 - No you didn't miss anything, if was just a question if you had made the change, but from the way you reply I sure you have not. It's a command that is used when running KSP.

Any chance you can upload the KSP.log file??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.