Windows 64 bit community workaround

WWEdeadman

I have a fresh install so I do not have Module Manager installed. Am I to assume Module Manager is the missing piece?

It really has no outward sign that you are running 64-bit, but Module Manager has a specific indicator that is extremely noticeable and it states that you are running 64-bit. 64-bit is only to unlock the ability to use more than 3.5GB of RAM, which is only really achieved through memory leaks or extensive mod usage.

It really has no outward sign that you are running 64-bit, but Module Manager has a specific indicator that is extremely noticeable and it states that you are running 64-bit..

I see. Well I gave it another shot today following the instructions and nothing. You said in a previous post about an "unfixed version", is that a specific version or it that latest release still unfixed?

Also i'm not quite sure if it is accurate, but I read something about 64bit not working with Win10...is there any truth in that?

I see. Well I gave it another shot today following the instructions and nothing. You said in a previous post about an "unfixed version", is that a specific version or it that latest release still unfixed?

There's a 64-bit unfixer program that removes all Win64 specific blocks or changes, so if it's used on Module Manager, it stops the nyancat, the warning and 64-bit specific log entries. Essentially, your loading screen will look a bit like this with Module Manager installed.

Z4Gr2wo.jpg?2

Success, maybe? I downloaded the latest Module Manager and dropped into the GameData folder, booted the game up and saw Nyan Cat along with the above warning.

At the risk of sounding dumb...thats me running on 64bit KSP right?

Yes, it means it's detected that it's running in 64-bit. As I said, you really should only be running 64-bit if you're running an extensive amount of mods or lots of planet packs. KSP 1.0.4 is fairly stable without mods and most users can get away with a handful before hitting the hard memory limit. Otherwise, it's just a buggier version of the game without any real support.

Yes, it means it's detected that it's running in 64-bit. As I said, you really should only be running 64-bit if you're running an extensive amount of mods or lots of planet packs. KSP 1.0.4 is fairly stable without mods and most users can get away with a handful before hitting the hard memory limit. Otherwise, it's just a buggier version of the game without any real support.

Yeah that's the whole reason why I'm opting for the 64bit version, or atleast giving it a go. I am close to the memory limit and i'm kinda bored of balancing the mods I want to use based on the limitation. Plus my game randomly started to show a few bugs which caused me to lose my patience (especially a bug where the game would freeze whenever I clicked on a building after I had loaded my saves) and I thought i'm more prepared to deal with a slightly less stable version of KSP with all the mods I want, rather than stick with a version where I have to 'make-do' with a couple.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help with my isssue, I really appreciate it!

You can also easily check 64 vs 32 bit by looking at the KSP process in Windows Task Manager. In Win 7, 32-bit processes will have "*32" after the process image name in the processes tab, and Win 8 and 10 should have "(32-bit)" after the name. If that's not there, it should be 64-bit.

I'm sure it's because Windows Explore is hiding file extension of known ones. So open Windows Explore and at the top there should be a menu called "View" *If not then press the "Alt"-key and you'll get it, click on the "Folder Options" - In there go to tab "View" and uncheck the "Hide extensions of known file types".

And then I sure if you go into you KSP dir. you'll see KSP.exe.exe, rename it to only KSP.exe.

Hope it helps.

I am having the same problem even with the solution provided. What am I doing wrong? Have followed the directions to the T. Thanks for any help.

My game keeps freezing after sometime, no crash like with the 32 bit version, just either it freezes during a flight and then I have to click a few times and KSP stops responding or when im launching a vessel the game freezes and says it stopped responding.

No crash log is generated.

System specs:

AMD A8-3870 3.00 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6570

64 bit

My mods:

http://postimg.org/image/784eeor35/

These are the last lines in the KSP output log, don't know if that helps

FF: vessel situation change for Ast. ITX-104 (unloaded), situation changed from LANDED to ORBITING

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[AsteroidSpawner]: New object found near Kerbin: Ast. FWR-310!

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Active Vessel is moving (sqrVel = 1456.31881974642). Cannot save.

OK...

I have version 1.04.861 on both my computers

My laptop has the i7-4720HQ 2.6 ghz (3.6 turbo?) with 16 GB memory and the GeForce GTZ 950M w/2GB.

My Tower has the i7-4790 3.6 ghz with 32 GB memory and the GeForce GT720.

I have no apparent problems with memory drive access, or graphics processing. When I her several parts in play the system bogs down bad, but none of my monitoring programs show a problem

Is this because it's a 32 bit program? It doesn't seem to matter what rendering quality I use on either computer.

Here is a full screen shot with the game in a 1600 x 900 window. No apparent memory, drive, or CPU bottlenecking, on my laptop:

Task%20Manage%20while%20KSP%20running_zpssrckiyzc.png

No apparent GPU problems.

Monster%20launch%20GPU%20stats_zpsralpmvps.png

How much of a difference might the Unity download as listen in the OP make? The ship being launched has something like 2140 parts.

Edited by Wild Cobra

OK...

I have version 1.04.861 on both my computers

My laptop has the i7-4720HQ 2.6 ghz (3.6 turbo?) with 16 GB memory and the GeForce GTZ 950M w/2GB.

My Tower has the i7-4790 3.6 ghz with 32 GB memory and the GeForce GT720.

I have no apparent problems with memory drive access, or graphics processing. When I her several parts in play the system bogs down bad, but none of my monitoring programs show a problem

Is this because it's a 32 bit program? It doesn't seem to matter what rendering quality I use on either computer.

Here is a full screen shot with the game in a 1600 x 900 window. No apparent memory, drive, or CPU bottlenecking, on my laptop:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/Kerbal/Task%20Manage%20while%20KSP%20running_zpssrckiyzc.png

No apparent GPU problems.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/Kerbal/Monster%20launch%20GPU%20stats_zpsralpmvps.png

How much of a difference might the Unity download as listen in the OP make? The ship being launched has something like 2140 parts.

KSP uses 1 processor to run the math for all of those parts. It's a limitation in the software, not your machine. When 1.1 lands we are supposed to be getting a 64 bit multi threaded version of KSP. This thread just shows you how to hack a 64-bit Windows version of KSP.

KSP uses 1 processor to run the math for all of those parts. It's a limitation in the software, not your machine. When 1.1 lands we are supposed to be getting a 64 bit multi threaded version of KSP. This thread just shows you how to hack a 64-bit Windows version of KSP.

Well Thank-You.

Seems odd since none of those 8 CPU threads to the right of the one graphic look maxed out.

Guess I will have to deal with slow motion.

Seems odd since none of those 8 CPU threads to the right of the one graphic look maxed out.

That's because Windows has the habit of switching a running program between CPU cores, so instead of one 100% maxed out core, it looks like 4 25% utilitized cores, unless you're looking at much more detailed information.

Also, on the Unity 1.1 comment, we have reason to believe that a single craft will still be simulated in a single thread. The only people I've seen simulating multiple connected rigid bodies (the type of simulation KSP uses) have been research projects, not commercially available toolkits.

I wanted to post, that I am appreciative of this work to allow someone to opt to try a x64 build.

I also want to apologize to all the modders who are worked to the stress level of becoming snippety with others for opting to do this. I understand that there is no way for you to offer support for this, but I am more sad that so many people seek mod support, either it does or doesn't work and they shouldn't bug the modders unless they know for sure it is something they can fix.

I don't expect support for x64 usage with mods, but since I have never requested support in any mod thread since I found nothing to suggest torwards my problem myself as they are all memory limitations or outdated mods I am trying to tweak to work, I have no reason not to try this and I wish such harsh tone wasn't used toward trying 64 bit build testing.

Just did this and I have to say that it was completely worth downloading unity for. Loaded up 8k textures from the Astronomers pack and running anywhere from 4-6gb of ram and the only bugs i'm having are the building levels in career mode, right clicking in VAB, and weird transitions sometimes. If anything, 64 bit is more stable when modded than 32 bit.

I downloaded the Unity 4.6.4 Editor.

I quickly installed and threw together a large modlist I know would go over 3.2GB and gave this a shot. It works like a treat

uIIfdjR.jpg

I guess I'm not waiting for 1.1 anymore. Time to crank my graphics, go full screen and disappear into the Kerbal solar system again

WWEdeadman - Thanks for starting this thread and sharing crucial information in the 1st post.

Sabor - The post right above me, thanks for sharing your experience and reporting success.

Also thanks to all others contributed to this although reading the 1st and last posts were just enough :D

Here's my tiny contribution (even though it's reported elsewhere, it might help some people anyway): Do use Unity 4.6.4and do not use 4.6.8.f1 which is the latest in the same branch.

I just downloaded 1.4 GB and installed it (and then have to uninstall as it does not work).

Use Unity 4.6.4

EDIT: [After Action Report] I have installed this last night, as mentioned above by others correct version of Unity 4.6.4 is running KSP 1.0.4 on 64-bit Windows in 64-bit wonderfully.

All the mods I had before still working - I used the make-all-mods-work hack posted in the forums.

Of course I will not file any complaints/bug reports if anything breaks due to my deliberate circumvention of "No 64-bit!" limitation imposed by some mod devs.

Anyways, I can now play without any memory limitations from the 90s!!

Edited by csx23
add: after action report

This is great, I used 64-bit before and was forced to switch to Ubuntu (and I hate it) to keep my grand game. Is there any way how to obscure mods that block 64-bit? (real chutes, FAR) As fare as I understood, those mods are mostly under GPL-like licence, so you can remove the code that check for 64-bit compatibility and distribute it (or at least use it)

This is great, I used 64-bit before and was forced to switch to Ubuntu (and I hate it) to keep my grand game. Is there any way how to obscure mods that block 64-bit? (real chutes, FAR) As fare as I understood, those mods are mostly under GPL-like licence, so you can remove the code that check for 64-bit compatibility and distribute it (or at least use it)

Download https://github.com/jrodrigv/KSPx64TotalUnfixer/releases

I think you can place it anywhere, but I placed it inside the Kerbal Space Program directory.

Oh man I hate my internet connection, guess Ill test it tomorrow since the download gonna take ages.

Edit: I just downloaded 1.4GB just to get 2 files? And the rest of it, can I delete it, will I need it for something??

Edited by maculator

My game keeps freezing after sometime, no crash like with the 32 bit version, just either it freezes during a flight and then I have to click a few times and KSP stops responding or when im launching a vessel the game freezes and says it stopped responding.

No crash log is generated.

Just wanted to note I had the same problem. There are a few others earlier in the thread who noted the same. For me it seemed to happen around 6GB RAM use (I have 16GB). Has anyone found any cause or resolution for this issue?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.