Kerbal Space Program 1.0 How to Get To Orbit With New Aerodynamics.

malkuth

• 3 weeks later...

Id like to thank you for the video, but I have constructed my ship exactly as yours and have tried multiple times to get into orbit as you did, and for some reason I just cant seem to do it. Heck, my first fuel tank is empty before I even get to 20,000 feet. Even when I do manage to get into space, my orbit comes nowhere close to full circle. it usually turns out to be a sub-orbit that goes about 1/8 around the world. Been attempting to duplicate you for about 6 hours now.

Thanks for the video, malkuth. Explaining the suborbital and orbital trajectories was nice for the newer players. I found your methods for orbital flight and deorbiting and landing/ splashing down near the KSC useful. My own preferred method of orbital flight is a hybrid of the old and new version methods I've seen explained. I like to climb vertically until I'm at the boundary between lower and middle atmosphere (about 7K meters) and start my turn there. Then I entice the prograde marker towards the horizon line gradually. My theory is that clearing the lower atmosphere before the turn reduces drag. The turn and curved flight go through the middle and upper atmospheres, where the drag is less. Mine's probably not the most efficient way of flying but it works for me. Thanks again for your efforts and for sharing with us!

Edit: I tend to launch at 100% throttle and will only throttle back a little if I have control issues.

Sounds good dispatcher. I tend to think of the atmosphere as a curve. To push that curve you could almost certainly run on the edge of the Mach effects and Heat warnings. This works well for SSTO. Staying above that curve can be tricky though.

Another issue that I have found is that its fine and dandy to get into orbit. But if you have a -500 PE to burn off at circulation then that's a tell tale warning that your Ascent profile is to high. A great way to tell if your doing an Efficient launch is once you get to space if you only have to burn off 100-200 PE to get into orbit.. Thats pretty decent. :) Takes practice.

This is pretty important because of how the engines work now. Some engines only work well in atmosphere and others work good in Vacuum getting as much out of those engines in their comfort zone makes all the difference.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.