I killed Valentina!

Kerbart

Tourism contracts are a good way to boost reputation (moneywise not so much).

So after yet another sub-orbital tourism trip my Mk-I + Inline cockpit contracption landed (vertically, with the tiny landing gears for stability).

"Well, this is a new biome. Let me get Val out of the inline cockpit to do an EVA and grab some science. FOR SCIENCE!"

Val gets out, does the "cling to the canopy thing" for about half a second and then gravity takes over, followed by impact about a tenth of a second later. BOOOOOM. Val gone.

I sat there staring at my screen for at least ten seconds in complete disbelief.

Same here, lost my Val in my ironman normal difficulty game. I also stared at my screen a few seconds wondering what just happened. EVA from a standard Mk 1 pod, but it had radial chutes, so she might have been launched because of those. Right into the ground so fast she disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Sadly, she was my last available pilot, the next few missions had to be done by scientists and engineers, and without SAS it was...problematic to get them to return. Eventually I unlocked the Stayputnik, and then the OKTO probe core after planeRoving around KSC collecting science. I was about > < close to losing the game though due to funds loss. Had to take a few contracts I knew I couldn't do just to get the upfront K$ to get my program back on its feet.

How tall was this thing?! :0.0:

I've had Jeb and Val jump from heights greater than what I'm envisioning for your contraption and easily live...

Heck, yesterday my Valentina survived a 3.5km fall (into water, but still...)

Has anyone confirmed the "bouncing off of helmet" bug where a kerbal can survive unlimited falls by bouncing off of their heads?

I assume the thinner Atmo means they won't slow down as much anymore, possibly killing this bug. It was fun having jeb bounce from interstellar space though. :D

The other day Jeb insisted on stowing away aboard my low-tech rescue ship, and I was too frustrated to try relaunching, so I made him skydive back to Kerbin. He bounced once and then landed as if it was no big thing. o_O

This thread is about Val but somebody mentioned surviving falls ^^; My Val is too well-behaved to get into any sort of trouble like this.

Has anyone confirmed the "bouncing off of helmet" bug where a kerbal can survive unlimited falls by bouncing off of their heads?

I assume the thinner Atmo means they won't slow down as much anymore, possibly killing this bug. It was fun having jeb bounce from interstellar space though. :D

this made me wonder... is there a parachute for kerbals mod?

• 3 years later...

I lost Val while finishing a contract. She and Jeb were flying to the other side of Kerbin in a Mk. 2 jet to get a pressure reading; since we would not have enough fuel to make the return trip (and I sucked at landing), I made a mechanism that ejected the cockpit from the main body of the plane and deployed radially-mounted parachutes (standard-issue to all aircraft). After I deployed the cockpit chutes, I decided to have Jeb go on an EVA and show off his new suit Level 2 parachute. Though I managed to land Jeb safely in the water, I later learned that Valentina was killed in action.

The weird part was that I deployed that system many times and it was perfectly safe. I don't know what happened to her; even if the SAS was turned off, I'm sure the cockpit-mounted parachutes would have still slowed her down to a safe velocity (even if we're over water).

Any ideas as to how she died, everyone? Just like NASA with the Challenger, the KSP will take all necessary steps to ensure the death of a crewmember does not happen again.

I lost Val on a routine Skylark shuttle mission, along with rookie engineer Pondsey. A solid booster detached the wrong way, destroying the right wing and causing the unbalanced stack to rotate before disintegrating 28 kilometers up. That was three weeks ago (I still play in 1.3.1)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.