OpenGL Mode Doesn't Work

Hi all,

I have tried to run KSP 1.0 using -force-opengl, but the error "Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution" comes up and I cannot actually get into the game.

The details about the error is:

Switching to resolution 1768x992 failed, trying lower oneAll resolution switches have failed

Screen: could not switch resolution (1768x992 fs=0 hz=0)

The things I have tried to get this solved is:

• Ensuring I have the latest graphics driver installed - which I have
  • I have looked online and found a couple of resources for older version - wasn't a problem in the current version
  • Been trying to wait it out to see if I get some other users with similar errors - still can't find any active threads on this
  • Absolutely clean install of KSP 1.0, tried restarting (multiple times) the computer but problem persists

So this leads me to think that would this be an isolated incident only for me or have some of you also experienced something similar?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Brendan

Ok good to have a confirmation. I have tried to reinstall but still no good. I tried to reinstall at other locations too.

The closest thing and the next thing I'll try is to remove an old profile from the NVidia control panel which I used to AA the OpenGL on .9

Checked and reinstalled, still no good, nothing wrong with the nvidia control panel :(

EDIT [sOLVED]

BUTTT.... About 1 min after I replied here, I think I solved the problem :D

I went into the settings and disabled launch with launcher option (an option of that was to that effect) and it seemed to load fine now :D

Edited by Brenchen

went into what "settings" are you referring to? I can't get it to start with OpenGL at all, same issue - I'm using -force-opengl -popupwindow (as I have since 0.90).

I believe he's referring to the "Settings.cfg" file in your KSP folder.

Tried this,did not work.

I've also tried checking the registry, someone else noticed the screen resolution was zero for some reason there. Mine was fine.

Also tried restarting computer, no luck.

Adding -popupwindow doesn't help.

Tried different KSP 1.0.2 installs, 1 is with mods, 1 is without mods (both are copies from the Steam folder in seperate folders).

Even tried adding the -force-opengl command in the Steam preference settings, but still no go.

Have not tried re-installing KSP yet, will do that next. Nor have I changed any grafics drivers (Nvidia).

Edited by Jan Gaarni

EDIT 2: Spoke too soon. I think I was launching the game from the launcher by mistake which of course doesn't enable OpenGL mode.

---------------

EDIT: I fixed the problem! The game is set to run in 64 bit mode by default.

I happened to run the launcher.exe and go into the advanced settings, and saw that the "Run in 64 bit mode" option was enabled. I turned it off and all is good again!

----------------------------

I narrowed down the problem, somewhat.

I have the same problem. Worked perfectly fine in .90 and previous versions.

None of the above solutions worked for me.

I finally deleted the Squad folder in the Registry (which alone didn't work) and then deleted the settings.ini. I also edited the new registry key to a lower resolution (1280x720) rather than 1920x1200. With the -popupwindow and -force-opengl options, it finally started in a smaller window. But when I went into the settings menu and changed the resolution back up to 1920x1200, it crashed with the same error again.

Started from scratch, this time bumping the resolution up 1 setting at a time, it let me go larger and larger until I hit 1768x992, where it crashed.

I enabled fullscreen mode, and noticed my monitor was still running at 1920x1200, and just scaling the game to fit, which is interesting.

I am running nVidia drivers v350.12.

Very concerned, as just a few graphics mods usually pushes me over the RAM limit in DirectX mode, even with ATM.

Edited by Castun

I also edited the new registry key to a lower resolution (1280x720) rather than 1920x1200. With the -popupwindow and -force-opengl options, it finally started in a smaller window..

Thanks, that is what I had to do to get it working. However I also still have the same problem at higher resolutions like you do, but at least I can run it at a lower one now.

Edited by leftler

My latest attempt to see when this happens has revealed the game won't start up if the graphics are set to 1768x992 or higher.

Atleast for me.

Max resolution seems to be 1680x1050.

I also have v350.12 installed, Castun.

I did get the game to fire up in 1920x1080 w/Opengl after a clean install thru Steam, but now it's back to the same again. Not even able to get it to work with a new clean install. :huh:

I as well have the same issues. My main monitor is a Vizio 32" TV connected via HDMI @ 1080P secondary is a Dell 20" @ 1600*900. My system is as follows: i5 4690k @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 970 (Nvidia drivers 350.12). I can launch in directX mode, with minimal mods due to known issues, at any resolution fullscreen or popup. If I add -force-opengl I cannot launch above 1680*1050. My KSP is from the Kerbal store, not Steam. I generally launch with CKAN, but for testing have tried both command line and CKAN launch settings. The same issue persists either way.

When trying to launch OpenGL through a shortcut, I get stuck on the end of the loading screen--no idea why, I had no problem launching back in 0.90 (or any version when I tried to use OpenGL). It's the "hanging on loading", where the messages keep changing, but the game is clearly stuck.

Is this the same issue others are having? I'm not sure if it matters, but I have it set to run at fullscreen but it defaults to a lower resolution window.

It may be me failing to understand, but this doesn't seemed solved by not going into fullscreen (though no matter what your settings are, at least in my case, it starts loading in windowed mode--then hangs.).

It may be me failing to understand, but this doesn't seemed solved by not going into fullscreen (though no matter what your settings are, at least in my case, it starts loading in windowed mode--then hangs.).

In my case, it IS resolved by not going into full-screen mode. If I run 1680*1050 or lower windowed, I can use -force-opengl. I load a save game at the space center with my mods and only using 1.5 GB of RAM. If I use full-screen with -force-opengl, no matter the resolution I set I get an error that the resolution can't be set. If I load full-screen with no arguments on the command line, I load with 2.9 GB RAM usage.

OpenGL works if the game is set to play in fullscreen mode, but that brings its own problems (most noticeable problem being that the game freezes when trying to access the settings menu)

In my case, it IS resolved by not going into full-screen mode. If I run 1680*1050 or lower windowed, I can use -force-opengl. I load a save game at the space center with my mods and only using 1.5 GB of RAM. If I use full-screen with -force-opengl, no matter the resolution I set I get an error that the resolution can't be set. If I load full-screen with no arguments on the command line, I load with 2.9 GB RAM usage.

Interesting--when it doesn't work, what happens? Does it hang on the end of loading? That's what happened for me.

As an experiment, I tried setting it to a lower resolution (1680x1050), setting it to be windowed in normal DirectX, then tried running through OpenGL--the window briefly was at the correct size, then reverted to a different resolution (it always goes to that size in my case), and then hung in the same place (checking the last asset before the spinning planet load screen). Weird. Looks like this new Unity version will not run OpenGL on my system, bummer.

EDIT: Okay, I played around with the settings a bit more, and I got OpenGL working, hurrah! Let's see if it keeps up after I restart though.

Edited by Synthesis

Interesting--when it doesn't work, what happens? Does it hang on the end of loading? That's what happened for me.

As an experiment, I tried setting it to a lower resolution (1680x1050), setting it to be windowed in normal DirectX, then tried running through OpenGL--the window briefly was at the correct size, then reverted to a different resolution (it always goes to that size in my case), and then hung in the same place (checking the last asset before the spinning planet load screen). Weird. Looks like this new Unity version will not run OpenGL on my system, bummer.

EDIT: Okay, I played around with the settings a bit more, and I got OpenGL working, hurrah! Let's see if it keeps up after I restart though.

What settings did you change?

I found a funky work around to get OpenGL working on fullscreen windowed borderless. Start the game in 1680x1050 (or lower), once its open, go to task manager and find KSP. Right click it, minimize, then maximize. Puts it into fullscreen windowed borderless.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the workout is really sub-optimal. You have to go into regedit and manually change the resolution back to 1680x1050 every time you restart KSP.

Edited by Unspec

I always crash before the game loads with the unity error: Couldn't switch to the requested monitor resolution.

What settings did you change?

I found a funky work around to get OpenGL working on fullscreen windowed borderless. Start the game in 1680x1050 (or lower), once its open, go to task manager and find KSP. Right click it, minimize, then maximize. Puts it into fullscreen windowed borderless.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the workout is really sub-optimal. You have to go into regedit and manually change the resolution back to 1680x1050 every time you restart KSP.

What OS are you running? I am in Win 7 Ultimate and I cannot minimize the application through the task manager or the task bar. I tried using the Windows Borderless Gaming app to force the game into fullscreen after lowering the resolution, but it rescales the image and causes the same error as above.

I always crash before the game loads with the unity error: Couldn't switch to the requested monitor resolution.

What OS are you running? I am in Win 7 Ultimate and I cannot minimize the application through the task manager or the task bar. I tried using the Windows Borderless Gaming app to force the game into fullscreen after lowering the resolution, but it rescales the image and causes the same error as above.

Also running windows 7

New Update:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103129-Couldn-t-switch-to-requested-monitor-resolution/page3

Alright, so I tried the suggested solution in the link above here, and for me this finally fixed my problem launching the game on a higher resolution than 1680x1050 (running at 1920x1080 normally).

OpenGL is definately running, KSP with alot of mods installed runs at an initial load of 1.5Gb.

Point to note: You have to use a DVI/DVI cable. Plugging a DVI end into the GPU and the HDMI end of the DVI/HDMI cable into the monitor does not work (atleast it didn't for me).

And the other way around didn't register the monitor at all. :sticktongue:

So for me, this has solved the problem .... for now.

Hope this works for eveyone else aswell.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.