OpenGL Mode Doesn't Work

New Update:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103129-Couldn-t-switch-to-requested-monitor-resolution/page3

Alright, so I tried the suggested solution in the link above here, and for me this finally fixed my problem launching the game on a higher resolution than 1680x1050 (running at 1920x1080 normally).

OpenGL is definately running, KSP with alot of mods installed runs at an initial load of 1.5Gb.

Point to note: You have to use a DVI/DVI cable. Plugging a DVI end into the GPU and the HDMI end of the DVI/HDMI cable into the monitor does not work (atleast it didn't for me).

And the other way around didn't register the monitor at all. :sticktongue:

So for me, this has solved the problem .... for now.

Hope this works for eveyone else aswell.

That sucks because my monitor only has HDMI.

That sucks because my monitor only has HDMI.

Alright, so I mucked around abit with the different cables again and looked in the Nvidia Controlpanel, and it seems that OpenGL does not like the 1080p setting. Switching it to 1080i did make the game fire up with OpenGL, but I could only get a max refreshfrequency of 30Hz when going interlaced, so it strained my eyes alittle. Particularly looking at the desktop it was very noticable.

Unfortunately, my knowledge about these things stops right around here I'm afraid. If anyone else has any suggestions for this, fire away. :)

GTX 760 here.

Though I do think I've read people with AMD's aswell having this problem.

This only manifested itself after 1.0, atleast for me.

I'm still able to fire up the game in 1920x1080 using a HDMI cable on 0.9 and older.

GTX 760 here.

I'm still able to fire up the game in 1920x1080 using a HDMI cable on 0.9 and older.

Same here, my older builds still function normally, just 1.0 and up. GTX970 driver version 350.12.

How many are using multiple monitors? Also, is the game rendering on the main monitor in Windows, or the secondary?

I am running dual monitors with the primary connected HDMI (1920*1080) and the second by DVI (1600*900). The game is rendering on my main monitor.

Same here, my older builds still function normally, just 1.0 and up. GTX970 driver version 350.12.

How many are using multiple monitors? Also, is the game rendering on the main monitor in Windows, or the secondary?

I am running dual monitors with the primary connected HDMI (1920*1080) and the second by DVI (1600*900). The game is rendering on my main monitor.

Running a 1920x1080 and a 1600x900 monitor here.

Chiming in!

KSP 1.0.2

Windows 8.1 x64

GTX 760 - Driver version 350.12

Resolution 1920x1080

DVI Cable

I've tested KSP with "-force-opengl" only and worked fine here, I can also access the settings menu.

There's a noticeable lag even with tiny rockets on Kerbin. This lag is not present using DirectX and, on previous versions, it was much much smaller on OpenGL.

Now, all this discussion about HDMI / DVI made me recall an issue I had...

Some time ago, I used to connect my monitor with an HDMI cable (my monitor have both HDMI and DVI connectors)

I've noticed something curious..

Every time I launched a game or a fullscreen program for the first time, while the game/program was trying to identify my resolution, it would switch back and forth between 1920x1080 (my res) and something around 640x480..

This happened with every game, but only the first time I launched it. Once the resolution was identified and saved, every subsequent launch would be fine.

Another weird behavior was that, once my monitor entered standby (when I didn't use my computer for some time), when I brought it back on from standby by moving my mouse, all my desktop icons and opened windows would have moved and resized to fit a 640x480 screen. This happened about 1/3 of the time.

Trying to figure out what was wrong, I've tested it on other computers and with other HDMI cables... It didn't matter what Windows version it was on, what HDMI cable and if the monitor drivers were updated or using windows' stock driver.

On Linux Ubuntu however, this issue did not happen.

Finally I found some discussions about this suggesting that it was a HDMI Handshake issue. Apparently, everytime the monitor "blinks" or gets turned off (either by actually being turned off, or getting in standby, or even that quick 'blink' during a resolution change), the monitor and graphic card needs a new 'Handshake' and, on the really tiny, microsecond moment between the signal being reestablished and the handshake, the computer doesn't know the monitor resolution and falls back to a "safe" 640x480 resolution. From what I understand, this handshake has partly to do with HDCP authentication, thus is not present if you're using non-hdmi cables (ie: DVI, VGA)

Perhaps KSP/Unity is having trouble with multiple resolution changes during a short time, but why is it affecting only OpenGL and only now in 1.0.x?

Well, probably it's a completely different issue, but I wanted to share this just in case...

GTX 760 here.

760 SLI

Same issue @ 1920 x 1200

Wow, i had this issue again so I can back to see how I solved it the first time, not knowing so much conversation had happened since! Anyway, for me, I have learnt to check the registry AND the settings.cfg, resetting both to get over the issue. I used to always run windowed mode, but I tried switching it to fullscreen and back, somehow I couldn't, so I went into the settings.cfg to do it manually.

When that was done, although it was "windowed", but there was only the picture, no actual window frame was visible, and I couldn't figure out why...

Wow, i had this issue again so I can back to see how I solved it the first time, not knowing so much conversation had happened since! Anyway, for me, I have learnt to check the registry AND the settings.cfg, resetting both to get over the issue. I used to always run windowed mode, but I tried switching it to fullscreen and back, somehow I couldn't, so I went into the settings.cfg to do it manually.

When that was done, although it was "windowed", but there was only the picture, no actual window frame was visible, and I couldn't figure out why...

Even if you set both to the correct resolutions, the game still crashes above a certain resolution.

Okay, I too have been having this problem since 1.0 launch. I've played KSP since .18 and used opengl since .23.5. I may have narrowed this down to what I believe is an issue when the game is launched in windowed mode.

First, my setup is an HDMI monitor running 1920x1080 as monitor 1. Second monitor is running DVI on 1680x1050.

I use Nvidia 770GTX ver 340.52 drivers. Second monitor is running a basic Nvidia 9500 card.

I believe this issue stems from the game opening itself right in the middle of the two monitors therefore causing it to try and adjust to the lowest resolution monitor.

Simple test I ran, was to remove the '-popupwindow' launch option and disable the 'fake full-screen' option from the launcher. Once these options were changed, I was able to run the game in 'windowed' (not borderless) and also in full-screen. However the windowed version started in-between the two monitors.

Hopefully this will help anyone else in the future. There really isn't a fix that I know if besides starting in full-screen and then changing to windowed (Alt+Enter), until they fix this opening in-between two desktops issue.

Edit: Apparently windowed mode with '-popupwindow -force-opengl' inherently carries this issue, as Alt+Enter just causes the same crash for me.

Edited by Tolos

Okay, I too have been having this problem since 1.0 launch. I've played KSP since .18 and used opengl since .23.5. I may have narrowed this down to what I believe is an issue when the game is launched in windowed mode.

First, my setup is an HDMI monitor running 1920x1080 as monitor 1. Second monitor is running DVI on 1680x1050.

I use Nvidia 770GTX ver 340.52 drivers. Second monitor is running a basic Nvidia 9500 card.

I believe this issue stems from the game opening itself right in the middle of the two monitors therefore causing it to try and adjust to the lowest resolution monitor.

Simple test I ran, was to remove the '-popupwindow' launch option and disable the 'fake full-screen' option from the launcher. Once these options were changed, I was able to run the game in 'windowed' (not borderless) and also in full-screen. However the windowed version started in-between the two monitors.

Hopefully this will help anyone else in the future. There really isn't a fix that I know if besides starting in full-screen and then changing to windowed (Alt+Enter), until they fix this opening in-between two desktops issue.

Edit: Apparently windowed mode with '-popupwindow -force-opengl' inherently carries this issue, as Alt+Enter just causes the same crash for me.

Just tried KSP with one monitor. Still has the issue. Not an issue of KSP starting inbetween monitors.

Had the same issue. I have a triple monitor setup with one main full-hd as the primary display connected via hdmi and two side monitors running 1280x1024 connected via DVI. My primary monitor only has HDMI so I'm not able to try using a DVI cable.

I went to the nvidia control panel and just changed my primary display to be one of the smaller ones instead of the one connected via HDMI. This instantly fixed the problem and I can run any resolution in KSP. Hope this helps :wink:

Had the same issue. I have a triple monitor setup with one main full-hd as the primary display connected via hdmi and two side monitors running 1280x1024 connected via DVI. My primary monitor only has HDMI so I'm not able to try using a DVI cable.

I went to the nvidia control panel and just changed my primary display to be one of the smaller ones instead of the one connected via HDMI. This instantly fixed the problem and I can run any resolution in KSP. Hope this helps :wink:

You can still use your main screen with the HDMI cable, just don't run it on higher than 1680x1050.

Another solution is changing the 1080p to 1080i. That worked for me, but my screen isn't built for that I think so it strained my eyes because it was fluttering too much.

• 3 weeks later...

I have another possible solution.

I haven't tested it yet myself (planing to though): If you have a DX11 grafics card, try replacing the -force-opengl command with -force-d3d11 .

It may work, you WILL still save memory appearantly, AND reflection will appearantly work propperly. :)

Just an FYI.

• 2 weeks later...
I have another possible solution.

I haven't tested it yet myself (planing to though): If you have a DX11 grafics card, try replacing the -force-opengl command with -force-d3d11 .

It may work, you WILL still save memory appearantly, AND reflection will appearantly work propperly. :)

Just an FYI.

thanks Jan!!! this is the only solution that worked for me, and the memory savings are similar to Open GL's!!!!

I'm not seeing enough (if any) memory savings in DX11 mode. I was still getting out of memory crashes on loading from hitting the ~3GB limit, even with textures set to half size. Runs OK with OpenGL as long as I stay in windowed mode and don't go above 1680x1050.

• 3 weeks later...

Catsun, I think I worked around this issue. Fresh install of KSP, get into the game, set it to Fullscreen mode, close the game, force open-gl then. The game will launch in fullscreen open-gl & you shouldn't have a problem (if you switch back to windowed it will crash)

Hmm so maybe it's the -popupwindow option causing the problem then. I'll try removing that switch first.

EDIT: Yep, that seems to have worked! Don't run it in windowed mode, and don't use the -popupwindow option.

Only downside though is I can't go into the settings menu because it's just black.

Edited by Castun

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.