OpenGL Mode Doesn't Work

Oh by the way, anyone still trying to make OpenGL work could try these new commands.

-force-glcore (Windows only) Make the editor use OpenGL core profile for rendering. The editor tries to use on the best OpenGL version available and all OpenGL extensions exposed by the OpenGL drivers. If the platform isn’t supported, Direct3D is used.
-force-glcoreXY (Windows only) Similar to -force-glcore but request a specific OpenGL context version. Accepted values for XY: 32, 33, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 or 45.
-force-clamped (Windows only) Used together with -force-glcoreXY, but it prevents checking for additional OpenGL extensions allowing to run between platforms with the same code paths

If you're having trouble with the standard -force-opengl, forcing a different version may help.

Has there been any update on this? I am also suffering from this issue, which prevents me from playing KSP 1.0.4 (or any other version >= 1.0) on my HDMI connected projector with -force-opengl and a resolution (native) of 1920x1080. With 0.90 and previous versions, everything was working fine. The above mentioned "-force-glcore" CLI switches don't work for me, OpenGL is not enabled and thus I am crashing at the 3.5 GB limit.

This needs to get more attention, as it is cleary a bug introduced with a Unity update in KSP >1.0.

As others have reported, I can play the game just fined with -force-opengl -popupwindow and max resolution (1920x1200) on my main monitor, which is connected via DVI.

Has there been any update on this? I am also suffering from this issue, which prevents me from playing KSP 1.0.4 (or any other version >= 1.0) on my HDMI connected projector with -force-opengl and a resolution (native) of 1920x1080. With 0.90 and previous versions, everything was working fine. The above mentioned "-force-glcore" CLI switches don't work for me, OpenGL is not enabled and thus I am crashing at the 3.5 GB limit.

This needs to get more attention, as it is cleary a bug introduced with a Unity update in KSP >1.0.

As others have reported, I can play the game just fined with -force-opengl -popupwindow and max resolution (1920x1200) on my main monitor, which is connected via DVI.

My solution every time this problem pops up on my system is to edit the windows registry to re-force fullscreen mode (or disable it if it was currently enabled in the registry). Will try and update later with the exact key locations and what values need to be changed (if I remember); but basically there is a registry key that needs its value flipped from whatever it is (0-> 1; 1->0). You can also force-update your resolution while you are in there. After it is fixed I generally export the key to a .reg file so that I can re-fix the problem easily whenever it next occurs (which seems to be whenever I mess with the in-game video settings related to fullscreen mode).

Ahh, here is a reference to the key location (mostly unrelated topic, but it explains where in the registry the key is located):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118264-Windows-KSP-won-t-accept-Joystick-axes?p=1888479&viewfull=1#post1888479

Okay I cant stress this enough, but -force-opengl and -force-d3d11 are at the engine level, bringing more attention to failings with these here is absolutely useless, you'd need access to Unity source code and a low level understanding of gpu api's to have a hope of changing this.

The most you can realistically do is to add your experience to an existing Unity tracker issue, as it seems that reporting new issues is locked down.

But as KSP does not support OpenGL on Windows I can guess the response from Unity, if you're forcing it to do something it's not designed for and it breaks there's nothing they can do.

Hi Shadowmage. So you are suggesting that inverting the value of:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SQUAD\Kerbal Space Program\"Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode_h3981298716" will fix this problem? That would be a very strange fix, but I'll try as soon as I fire up my projector the next time.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I cant stress this enough, but -force-opengl and -force-d3d11 are at the engine level, bringing more attention to failings with these here is absolutely useless, you'd need access to Unity source code and a low level understanding of gpu api's to have a hope of changing this.

The most you can realistically do is to add your experience to an existing Unity tracker issue, as it seems that reporting new issues is locked down.

But as KSP does not support OpenGL on Windows I can guess the response from Unity, if you're forcing it to do something it's not designed for and it breaks there's nothing they can do.

KSP might not officially support OpenGL, but since it also doesn't provide/support x64-builds for Windows any longer (and never ones that actually worked), a large part of the more ambitious player base is practically forced to use OpenGL or at least ATM in aggressive mode to get around the 3.5G RAM limitation. My current modded 1.0.4. install doesn't even have a lot of expensive mods installed, Astronomers Pack with a decent SkyBox is enough to push you over the limit.

So what I'm saying is that SQUAD cannot just ignore OpenGL not working properly any more in 1.0.x and blame everything on Unity, since a lot of Windows players (which are definitely the majority) have no real alternative if they want to use mods, and KSP is all about using mods. It was also working flawlessly with previous Unity versions, and it still does when your display is connected via DVI, so it's probably not very hard to get this working again. SQUAD and the Unity devs could easily collaborate on fixing the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I found somebody mentioning this very bug on the Unity forums. Apparently it has been around for longer and in this case it only happened when you switch resolution right away.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/couldnt-switch-to-requested-monitor-resolution.150771/

There's no might, Squad does not support OpenGL on Windows, and nor does Unity, it can be forced but if it does not work Squad cannot fix it and Unity don't have to, because it's not supported.

So Squad definitely can ignore OpenGL on Windows, and you are no more forced to use OpenGL as you are forced to use addons, both are a choice.

As for addons, they should all be using .dds textures to reduce their memory footprint, just as Squad currently does.

:)

Another update on this: Changing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SQUAD\Kerbal Space Program\"Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode_h3981298716" from 0 to 1 had the effect that the KSP loading window was at least showing, but the crash still happened immediately after.

Edited by Sethur
Typo

• 2 years later...

Hey idk if anyone is still having this issue, but I think I found a solution. instead of using the startup command -force-opengl,

use this one --force-opengl

the added (-) to it makes it work for me. so instead of -force-opengl, its --force-opengl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.