Strange mirroring in the SPH

Hi All,

When I tried to build a rover for the new ore handling I had something strange when adding wheels at both sides of the imaginairy centerline of my machine. An image says more then a thousand words, so here's the result.

strange_part_placement.png

Maybe I'm missing a 'new' keyboard shortcut that remedies this, but otherwise I would expect the placed wheel in the foreground and its mirrored counterpart should both be pointing down. :wink:

Greets,

Jan

Edited by Jananton

Yes, it looks like you have radial symmetry turned on. You want mirror symmetry, which you can toggle with R (as mentioned above). The editor will automatically switch modes if your mouse touches a part that is mirrored/radial, which can sometimes be a pain. Also, there are a few bugs with symmetry, especially if you build a single branch then try to replicate it with mirror symmetry.

Cheers,

-Claw

Well, I know of the 'R' key and I tried that too, but that didn't result in solving the problem. When pressing 'R' and after letting it go the mirrored item seems to position itself different, but it immediately snaps back to the position seen in the image regardless how often I press it. Also when already in mirror mode pressing the 'X' key again sometimes starts to count on, while I thought two was the max in the SPH. I presume this happens when radial symmetry is active?

ADDITIONAL:

Well, this seems to have been a glitch of some sort, since today it all worked as expected. Why I had this strange mirroring effect in the first place is still a mystery, the only case I can think of is that one cannot switch between symmetry and radial placement while one already has an item selected..., but if that was what happened, I'm not sure. :)

Greets,

Jan

Edited by Jananton
additional info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.