How to get to Mun in Early 1.0?

Does anyone have a tutorial or decent rocket design for early Mun attempts in 1.0 yet? Seems like my old rockets probably aren't going to work. I have first two tiers of tech tree and all, but one of the third tier. (Can't remember which, probably the top one). Any thoughts?

Edited by KatzOhki

mine is capable of a fly by, probably landing (taking off is another matter).

1st stage - 4 Thumpers

2nd stage- 4 Thumpers -49% thrust limit

3rd stage - 1 LVT-T30 with 4 t400 tanks

4th stage -1 LV-909 with 2 t100 tanks (or 1 t200)

5th stage - capsule, with service bay, 2 shutes, some science and a heatshield

Taller, thinner rockets and gravity turns are the only things that come to mind. That and more SRBs.

EDIT: How early are we talking about here? If you have the BACC, FL-400s, LVT-30s and a reaction wheel, you "might" get to munar orbit.

Edited by Forty21112

This craft is capable to fly by the mun. It has enough dv to forgive inaccurate maneuvers, because you might not use maneuver nodes. My first attempt has dv = 370m/s left before entering Kerbins atmosphere Tricky is the ascent path: Always Full throttle - Start gravity turn when surface speed is around 80m/s (not the most efficient one, due to low initial TWR).

http://imgur.com/a/p4BJo

Edited by funk

This craft is capable to fly by the mun. It has enough dv to forgive inaccurate maneuvers, because you might not use maneuver nodes. My first attempt has dv = 370m/s left before entering Kerbins atmosphere Tricky is the ascent path: Always Full throttle - Start gravity turn when surface speed is around 80m/s (not the most efficient one, due to low initial TWR).

http://imgur.com/a/p4BJo

Wow! Really?

@Poofer: How do you arrange 4x Thumpers?

Looks like I might not be building my craft tall enough. Also wanted to bring 2 Kerbals (1 Pilot and 1 Scientist), but I might not be able to yet.

indeed, the core includes the 3rd trough 5th stages, the (a) thumpers are the 2nd stage and the(B) thumpers, the 1st. i don't know how to produce those fancy blueprints like the one @funk produced, otherwise i'd show you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.