MechJeb for KSP 1.0... problems?

Well, I love the new look and feel of KSP! But I was disappointed (but not too surprised) that MechJeb for 0.90 didn't work in 1.0.

Then, I saw that MechJeb got an update- YAY!- so I quickly removed my MechJeb folder from Gamedata and downloaded the new MechJeb (MJ) and installed it.

From the start, everything looked like it was back up to snuff... except for some oddness during MJ- controlled ascent (one of my most trustworthy spacecraft that launched flawlessly under 0.90 did some somersaults before correcting itself about midway to orbit), everything else seemed to work fine... Rendezvous Autopilot, Docking Autopilot, etc... all fine.

But the Landing Autopilot failed miserably on three tries... note, this was before entering atmosphere... so it's not because of the increased realism in re-entry. I'm saying, if you tell the Landing Autopilot to land at the Space Center, it draws an icon there on the planet, then the autopilot does the typical landing prediction blue icon and sweeps it to the Space Center... then over shoots it. This never happened in the previous MJ version. In fact, most times, the MJ- controlled Landing was so perfect that I was returned dead center to the launch pad! The other thing that doesn't seem to work is that the landing rockets don't fire early enough to slow the craft down. Again, this was all so flawless in MJ for 0.90.

Anyone else seeing this?

Btw- spotlights (at least the ones I was using in 0.90 without problems) explode violently on re-entry in 1.0. Bummer. I love a lit up ship! :)

Cheers,

Paul

Well, only speculation here, but based on all the posts I'm seeing talking about the weirdness of the new aero model, and how engines are supposedly overpowered, I would guess this is having a huge affect on MJ, even though it may have been updated to meet any new API changes in 1.0... (Basically, weirdness may be on Squad's end than anything to do with MJ...)

Again, just speculation on my part...

MJ is by far a hugely popular mod with the community so hopefully it will get worked out soon...

ascent autopilot - set limit angle of attack to 5-10 degrees until you reach 20-25km. In new aero system drag and lift does matter.

landing autopilot is fine on non atmospheric bodies. for me it failed to enter atmosphere at all.

reentry is more realistic, not as hard as deadly reentry on default settings, but heat shields are needed. TIP light fitted at the top of mk1 pod will survive retrograde facing reentry.

ascent autopilot - set limit angle of attack to 5-10 degrees until you reach 20-25km. In new aero system drag and lift does matter.

landing autopilot is fine on non atmospheric bodies. for me it failed to enter atmosphere at all.

reentry is more realistic, not as hard as deadly reentry on default settings, but heat shields are needed. TIP light fitted at the top of mk1 pod will survive retrograde facing reentry.

Still does not work pretty much tried everything. Ascent guidance is completely broke.

Still does not work pretty much tried everything. Ascent guidance is completely broke.

Ascent guidance works for me, as long as I have complete control authority.

Without enough control authority, the only place you're going is to not-space, and possibly straight to the afterlife, whether or not you use MJ's ascent guidance. A good player might be able to keep a craft with marginally insufficient control authority going where MJ might not be able to, but with seriously insufficient control authority, nobody's getting that sucker to space.

If you have sufficient authority, however, MJ remains on-the-dot. Make sure you have the fully-updated versions. Get reaction wheels!

Most functions seem okay. A always limited the angle of attack on ascents anyway.

Landing on Kerbin is pretty boinkers yet useful. The "show landing predictions" on shows the expected point right under me or 1/4 the planet away on some approaches. You can use the landing system with the predictions on to manually adjust your node to "get close" to the space center. Auto piloting landing is not working for Kerbin as of my last attempt. I could certainly get close with the help of Mech Jeb though.

Functions that do seem to work include manuever planner, hohmann transfer, rendeviouz autopilot etc.

I havent successfully seen a "porkchop" pattern developed for planetary transfer but I dont really use that nor know what the Kerbol Im looking at

Confirmed, I've even tried the latest builds of MechJeb from here http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/ and ascent guidance still completely ignores any custom ascent profiles I give it. When manually launching ships, I try to do my gravity turns after 20k and have even instructed MechJeb to do so, but it starts the gravity turn immediately no matter how I set it and my rocket ends up flipping over.

Oh well, manually launching isn't hard, just repetitive, especially for gaining funds from contracts in career mode.

I have been having problems with rondevu with an aircraft of space station. It will give me some crazy maneuver nodes and then the maneuver nodes will move around the nave ball all the time. I had just created a node and the velocity kept increasing after I had placed it indefinitely.

Yesterday it was working great and I could rondevu with any ship with in 20 m no problems.

Any help with this would be great.

Actually, I just noticed a problem with MJ. I was trying to land an unmanned probe on the Mun, and used the Landing Autopilot. Only for it to not work. It successfully deorbited, but didn't even try to do a descent burn.

EDIT: Uh, disregard. Figured out I didn't have enough delta v in my design.

Edited by Grenartia

MechJeb has problems with atmosphere.

Ascent Guidance: Limiting acceleration to 15 m/sec works. Terminal Velocity limiting wastes a lot of fuel and struggles to cope with SRBs.

Descent through atmosphere is horribly inaccurate, but the landing will work if you have enough fuel and arrive somewhere flat.

None of my 0.90 designs work right in 1.0, Mechjeb won't change that.

MechJeb has problems with atmosphere.

Ascent Guidance: Limiting acceleration to 15 m/sec works. Terminal Velocity limiting wastes a lot of fuel and struggles to cope with SRBs.

Descent through atmosphere is horribly inaccurate, but the landing will work if you have enough fuel and arrive somewhere flat.

You can limit it to 25 m/s² without problem

Most of my landings are chute and capsule, but generally the landing prediction is right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.