We're working on 1.0.1

KasperVld

It's no exaggeration when everything you send to space spins on it's yaw axis out of control and if you do manage to get past that you will always die on re-entry because of the pod flip bug. So you tell me how to a play a game about space flight when all of your space flight physics are bugged, Poofer. If you think that's playable then be my guest. I consider that broken entirely. Can't complete space missions to gain science to advance. That's the very definition of broken and unplayable.

I can honestly say I haven't experienced what you're describing. What kind of stuff are you putting in space?

I am not the only one in the stock support forums to report this bug. Not everyone has it but the ones of us that do get it can't play the game. It doesn't matter if it is just a simple command pod or what. It will spin on it's yaw axis in space. You can't call someones point invalid just because you do not get the bug. Good for you. I wish I could put anything in space without it spinning wildly out of control for no reason. Just because it is playable for you without the bug doesn't mean I do not have the bug or my saying it is unplayable isn't a valid point. Put yourself in my shoes, anything you put in pace no matter how large or small spins out of control and assuming you manage to make it through that anything you send into space will suddenly and without reason do a 180 flip on re-entry and explode therefore making it impossible to recover science. That's unplayable. If you don't have that bug then good for you. Don't call those of us that do have a game breaking bug liars or in possession of an invalid point because things are working good for you. They are not working well for all or we wouldn't be discussing a 1.0.1 hot fix now would we? Logic. Use it.

It's no exaggeration when everything you send to space spins on it's yaw axis out of control and if you do manage to get past that you will always die on re-entry because of the pod flip bug. So you tell me how to a play a game about space flight when all of your space flight physics are bugged, Poofer. If you think that's playable then be my guest. I consider that broken entirely. Can't complete space missions to gain science to advance. That's the very definition of broken and unplayable.

Edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood your issue.

I've done a lot of successful flights in 1.0. Getting to orbit is much easier now than it was in 0.90, you just have to build an aerodynamically stable rocket, and keep your heading close to prograde during ascent. In other words: do a gravity turn instead of trying to tilt the rocket instantly at 10 km. The unstable pods are a bug, but one can either do shallow reentries, so that reaction wheels can counteract aerodynamic forces, or install the Stock Bugfix Modules (as you probably also did with 0.90).

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to 1.0.1 as well.

Edited by soulsource

We all knew this was going to happen. You can't expect a version that never went through a thorough testing cycle to be bug free. Had 1.0 been just an optimized and debugged version of .90, then it most likely wouldn't need a hot-fix. Adding so many new features and releasing them after only going through the experimentals leads to a buggy final release. The bugs being reported are all tied to the new features.

This is why I don't get too excited about release dates anymore. Companies continually rush software through the last stages to get it out. Customers are then treated as testers for the buggy release. I'm not blaming Squad, this is common place in the industry now. I'm sure missing a release date would probably cost them more in the long run. Never the less, this has taught me to postpone purchasing new games or devises until after the first few months.

I wasn't aiming that at you Red, was aiming it at the others saying my stating the game is unplayable is invalid. I have a video demonstrating this bug processing on youtube right now and will show everyone exactly what I am talking about very shortly.

Hmm... I don't play that much, but I think I had noticed this spinning effect too (even before v1) but only when starting the stock craft "Z-MAP Satellite Launch Kit". It (the final separated satellite cube) starts spinning slowly around it's own axis without any input (it isn't controllable anyway, since the QBE and OCTO2 don't have reaction wheels) and even after stopped the spinning completely (time acceleration / deceleration) it starts to spin faster and faster. And I'm not inside the atmosphere. But maybe it is not the same what UntamedZer0 talks about? I could make a video if you want.

It's not bad design. I have a video processing right now that clarifies it. It spins on it's own with or without SAS on and with or without reaction torque on. You can start the craft spinning in the opposite direction and it will over come that spin and begin to spin the opposite way on it's own without any input whats so ever. Over 2 years of KSP tells me what a bad design is. This is symmetrical and balanced with a centered COM. There is no reason this should happen.

Update: Here is your example.

@UntamedZer0

The point of pods spinning out and blowing up on reentry is a valid bug. But there are work-arounds available that make it possible to continue playing despite this issue. People were asking more information to try and help you enjoy the game until 1.0.1 comes out.

Regarding any craft flipping out of control on ascent to space, this is one of those things that Rockets have to deal with in real life and there is an easy in-game solution to resolve it.

@Kiro: The game is tested by many people. It isn't released without testing, but all bugs will never be fixed in such a big software. That's not fair of you to the testers.

I wasn't aiming that at you Red, was aiming it at the others saying my stating the game is unplayable is invalid. I have a video demonstrating this bug processing on youtube right now and will show everyone exactly what I am talking about very shortly.

That's a great idea. Make sure you refer to the video in a bug post in the Support forum as well!

A couple of things to get around the reentry flipping... 1) carry an extra chute and it'll drop your speed down quicker. 2) Put chutes and a heat shield on the science and other modules. 3) transfer your science (or transmit it) before attempting reentry - then you don't NEED to keep them attached.

The main thing though, keep pointing retrograde. Re-entry is no longer a "go away and make a cup of tea and make sure you're back in time to pull the chutes" deal... it requires as much attention to detail as the launch does - something I actually like.

I suspect they made the science module too light or have too much drag and the command module is trying to push past it (since it's the module + a chute (or 3) - if they increased the science module slightly, the CoM (centre of mass) would drop towards the base of the reentry module a bit more. One way to minimise it is to put only essentials on the command module (chutes only) and put the antennae and other non-essentials in the secondary command section (ie with the science module, the comms and batteries) so that it can be ejected if it's causing a problem. I wish they'd make it possible to transfer all the science to the command module easier, but it gives you something to do, I guess.

I'd be interested to know if the Rockomax modules also flip...

@Kiro: The game is tested by many people. It isn't released without testing, but all bugs will never be fixed in such a big software. That's not fair of you to the testers.

I wasn't criticizing the testers. Only the decision to release without a bigger beta exposure first. Ideally this version should have been .99

My point is that the major bugs being reported are due to the new features, which is an obvious sign that these features needed more testing in a larger sampling pool.

Considering the nature of the bugs I have encountered I am inclined to agree with Kiro's point. This should have been a release candidate rather than a final release. If this were a release candidate (.99) the devs wouldn't be under such a rush for a hot fix and those of us that do have a collection of nastier bugs wouldn't feel so let down.

You are confusing bug with bad design. I had the same problem, searched why was happening and then fixed my design, now no more flipping (btw, it's because your CoM is too high)

This, i had a couple of bad reentries at first due to badly designed ship, i just fixed the vehicle and used a bit of SAS. If all else fails, use chutes.

"i run out of EC" - add more EC

"chutes @ 35km is unrealistic" - then use SAS, or airbrakes

"the CM is all wrong!" - maybe, maybe not. Just adjust your design to fix it, it's not that hard.

Hi,

I got to go but just sayin I am glad to here this patch is in work...The Barn and 4 tier levels for the R&D building???

ALSO is there any way to have a TECH TREE setup to move parts around in it graphically to save a tree??

I have requested a graphical UI and excel/data program to change the partdatabase.cfg; this isnt updated when MODS are added? can there be a way to do this??

Cmdr Zeta

Updated:

Hello,

Is there any way to have the partlistdatabase.cfg have a graphical interface to move parts around in the nodes and also is there a way to add MODDED parts to this list (or is that separate?)?

I am also hoping and asking if the BARN and 4 tier levels for R&D will be included in the patch...plzzz !

Cmdr Zeta

I actually kind of... like this (camera wobble when starting EVA). It makes it feel like the Kerbal is opening and closing the airlock, you know?

Seconded. And frankly, not a big deal either way.

BTW my hunch -- totally unsupported by actual knowledge -- is that the wobble has something to do with a new code fix that does a bunch of quick things to keep the Kerbal from flying off the capsule when they pop out into EVA... that was a problem sometimes in prior versions.

Edited by Yakky