Friendly PSA: Stack node fixes in 1.0

CaptainKipard

If you have ever created a part with multiple stack nodes that are aligned in more than one axis and especially at angles other than 0, 90, 180 or 270 then you'll know how KSP used to misbehave.

I've been updating my hubs set for 1.0 and noticed that:

1. You can attach a multi-node part to another part by any node now. You don't have to start with the last two in your cfg, and rearrange anymore
  2. Angled stack nodes now receive connections correctly from other parts instead of being treated like right-angled stack nodes in certain situations
  3. Toadicus also informed me that EGO-based stack NODE{}s now only attach to correctly aligned stack nodes. All your thin parts will no longer snap to the wrong stack node on the other side of the part.

That is all. Happy modding.

So my old way of defining nodes is out of date and nothing seems to be working. I can twist and turn my two parts around every which way and they refuse to connect.

How does one correctly align a node{}? Must their gameobject axis point in all the same directions? So if i were to overlay the node of part A and B would all axis point in the same direction when correctly assembled?

Huh, I haven't checked my GO based NODE{} connections yet, to the sandmobox!

[Edit] OK, I think you will want your GO's Z+ pointed in the direction things will be attaching from for NODE{}. Picture better;

ZVPtex2.png

[Edit2] Yes you want Z+

Edited by NoMrBond

After 20 minutes of trial and error I answered my own question:

Question:

How does one correctly align a "node{}"?

Answer:

The Zaxis of the two nodes you intend to attach to each other must point towards each other. So in a classic vertical stack up the attach node of the bottom part must have its Zaxis pointing UP and the attach node of the top part must have its Zaxis point DOWN. The Xaxis and Yaxis do not appear to have any significance in how the two parts attach so it doesn't matter how they align in relation to one another as long as the Zaxis are anti-aligned (point in opposite directions).

I'm not sure if the above is an absolute answer. You might be able to get away with pointing the attach node of the bottom part DOWN and the attach point of the top part UP. It might be that you only need to anti-align the two Zaxis (point them in opposite directions). However, my test part (the bottom part in the example above) attached to a stock part when I pointed its attach node up.

Edited by Absolution

I'm not sure if the above is an absolute answer. You might be able to get away with pointing the attach node of the bottom part DOWN and the attach point of the top part UP. It might be that you only need to anti-align the two Zaxis (point them in opposite directions).

I'm pretty sure that orienting both nodes like this will let those two parts attach "correctly" to eachother, but not to anything else with the proper orientations.

Did you know if this method work on Ksp 1.0 ?

NODE

{

name = top

transform = myTransform

size = 1 // this is not used - ksp bug.

method = FIXED_JOINT // this is not used - ksp bug.

}

Yes, you want FIXED_JOINT for stack nodes (i.e. top and bottom) and HINGE_JOINT for radial nodes though.

Do correctly specify your node sizes too

Has anyone tried hinge_joint in 1.0 yet?

I'm using it in the part pictured above, it connects/works on the nodes specified as HINGE_JOINT's but I haven't had time to test further about the differences between the connection types sorry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.