1.0 is actually a great update!

RocketPilot573

I think it is an excellent attempt. Many good changes, many bugs remain.

More importantly, I hope we can all finally learn that this NOT the a final product from early access, but rather the latest output from an "Open Iterative development" model (maybe not so open as most would like and likely going to get less open) but still... More versions to come.

For me, I'm still mostly disappointed in two things

1) that squad refuses to break open and away from their grind fest career framework - which should be more refined and actually appear to BE a space program. The player(s) should be working for theirselves rather than for a bunch of silly subcontractors. Give me an annual budget and public opinion, shifts in macro economic or political mood to stir things up (as if my failed missions were not enough!)

2) that we remain saddled with a deterministic tech "tree" framework - come on guys!

Everything else I can live with. These two things... This is where squad needs to pull their finger out and get innovating and stop copying old ideas.

I think 1.0 is a good update, though it is not the one I would have left Beta with.

After a few updates it will probably be pretty great.

It's debatable whether or not the game really ever left alpha, to be honest. With so many new features added in the previous version, lots of things still feel unpolished (*cough*clouds*cough*).

It's debatable whether or not the game really ever left alpha, to be honest. With so many new features added in the previous version, lots of things still feel unpolished (*cough*clouds*cough*).

I would agree.

But as far as that goes, I will just go with what the devs tell me. xD

But yes, many things to do until the game reaches the potential I've always had in my mind.

The player(s) should be working for theirselves rather than for a bunch of silly subcontractors.

Last time I checked, SpaceX was providing service for NASA and other US government services (i.e. Air Force etc.). I wonder how'd they fare financially if they "worked for themselves" instead of silly agencies like NASA?

Last time I checked, SpaceX was providing service for NASA and other US government services (i.e. Air Force etc.). I wonder how'd they fare financially if they "worked for themselves" instead of silly agencies like NASA?

Probably not too well. But your comment provides direct support of my point. NASA pays spaceX to do something for them, not the otherway around like in KSP.

I'm really enjoying it, the new aero is fine (I didn't enjoy near all that much).

All the new bits are great, and the load time has reduced!

Can't make a cup of tea while the game loads anymore.:D

I can now get space planes into space with enough fuel to make a stable orbit, deorbit get to KSC, and still have enough fuel to crash into the sea.

Edited by locustgate

(if the reviewers destroy them (except IGN) because this is really just 0.27 KSP, that doesn't make it a BAD 0.27 - it was just wrong to call it '1.0' and 'not an alpha/early access')

Why do some insist on this 0.27 idea? Did you really think there would be 100 updates...or is it because you consider it still in alpha stage? I guess I could understand the former.

As far as reviews, I have this sinking feeling that KSP's career mode is going to get a pass because it's sandbox mode is so unique. There's not really anything like KSP. Why a sinking feeling? I don't want Squad to think this career mode is good enough. It's not. In my opinion it's a mess. I love KSP. I just want it to be the amazing game it can be. That includes all parts of the game. Not just sandbox.

- - - Updated - - -

As for this update. It may actually be my favorite. The game finally feels close to a 1.0. There's still problems. Career mode has fundamental problems that will probably never be fixed. It would just take to much work. The water in the KSC pool is still an illusion. Little pieces of polish that make it not quite ready for 1.0. Anyway. That's my 2 cents.

Why do some insist on this 0.27 idea?
Because most software houses don't jump version numbers arbitrarily. 1.0 is just a number, the same as 0.27. The 0.27 version could just be 0.27 Release, same as 0.90 could have been 0.26 Release Candidate.

Can't make a cup of tea while the game loads anymore.:D

Can't make a cup of tea while getting in to orbit any more. Pretty barbaric, having to actually play the game now.

- - - Updated - - -

Because most software houses don't jump version numbers arbitrarily.

Dude, which part of version numbers is not arbitrary?

Dude, which part of version numbers is not arbitrary?
The part where they're almost universally incremental. Most places that use a versioning system have a versioning number guide so they don't descend into arbitrary numbering chaos.

I'd argue that only now is it the KSP we all know and love; all the versions before this one were suspect. I'm actually playing stock for once, it's a pretty great update.

You took the words right out of my mouth, all the things many people used mods for before are included now. Apart from some bugs, that certainly will be addressed in due time, the whole package feels much more polished then before. Honestly, I'm quite a happy puppy. :cool:

Greets,

Jan

Can't make a cup of tea while getting in to orbit any more. Pretty barbaric, having to actually play the game now.

Well, in fact ,with the new atmo model, if you have to give input to your rocket while it ascends, you're probably designing your rocket wrong since well designed rockets now will put themselves in orbit with fairly low pilot input compared with 0.90 ( In other words, we can actually let gravity turn the rockets now like in RL ;) instead of forcing the rocket to turn by ourselves )

On topic: 1.0 is a good update and it is a fun ride. has it's bugs , surely, but TBH I know enough of programming to know that a bug free program is a mirage. Now in terms of polish and general UI handling ... well, the UI is still very messy and like others said, there is still a lot of necessary eye candy and little details to fix for the game to create the necessary suspension of disbelief.

In other words, this update is a good update by itself, but it is short of what would be to be expected in a RC, even more of a actual release product. Atleast that is my own 0.02€ in this subject :D

Still struggling to agree. The new atmo is great, my biggest issue right now is that falling to the east includes several corrections so I don't drift too far north or south. Doing that instead of launching and then watching the kettle boil is terrible. Terrible!

I rather like how the update turned out, 9/10 on all fronts, I would like it if the Mk 1 command pod were balanced so it would face bottom first into the airstream with the heat shield attached, and I would also really like it if the stayputnik were not a tumbling-out-of-control-fail-machine in the vacuum because of no SAS. It should at least be able to dampen control inputs over time but as it is right now I just went and researched the next probe core.

The early career is very slow, and needs more contracts which can actually be done to help put wind in players' figurative sails. Contracts in the early game especially should award plenty of science too so that players can get to the next level.

Also a full video tutorial of a perfect rocket launch for newbies should be placed at the beginning of the campaign. This would help the visual learning process which the game encourages, without having people relying on youtube and wiki's to do the teaching job (many of which are still based on the old aero)

That's my view anyway:P

Because most software houses don't jump version numbers arbitrarily. 1.0 is just a number, the same as 0.27. The 0.27 version could just be 0.27 Release, same as 0.90 could have been 0.26 Release Candidate.

Got it. I've never worked on software. All I know is that 1.0 usually represents finished or close to. That is from my point of view and I'm assuming is what most people think 1.0 means.

I love everything about this update (especially Val, she is amazing!), but the heating is interesting. It's so complex and gameplay-changing, yet I know nothing about it. :P

I really don't care that much about val she/it is just another kerbal.

On topic: 1.0 is a good update and it is a fun ride. has it's bugs , surely, but TBH I know enough of programming to know that a bug free program is a mirage. Now in terms of polish and general UI handling ... well, the UI is still very messy and like others said, there is still a lot of necessary eye candy and little details to fix for the game to create the necessary suspension of disbelief.

I doubt anyone (at least those with a background in software development) expects a bug free version 1.0

However, in the first day after the release “the community†found a whole slew of bugs that weren’t caught during experimentals. It’s open for discussion how deep experimental testing went (as there are a couple of bugs that were pretty basic) but the fact is, as an Early Access game you have an active community. It still boggles my mind why this wasn't rolled out as 0.95, playtested, bugfixed and then release the patched version as 1.0 to “the public.†Surely it will have bugs, but not the bugs you encounter within one hour of gameplay!

1.0 is a fantastic update and the new features make it a rounded game worthy of its 1.0 designation. The bugs, on the other hand, make it feel as this should have been 0.95 or .99

What? You are challenging me on the bugs? Here's a couple:

• The heatshield center-of-mass issue that makes it nearly impossible to return anything else than a capsule (yet the materials bay needs to be returned to maximize science yield)
  • Parachutes that are ridiculously overpowered. Going 1500 m/s at 2000m ASL? No problem, just deploy the chute! You'll land safely! And never mind the fact that you can deploy them in the upper atmosphere as they have no problem withstanding re-entry heat
  • A configuration error does not limit how many times certain contract classes can appear. So I now have EIGHT tourist contracts whose only benefit is reputation (as they pay so little that they're hardly profitable)
  • Val's Kerbin EVA's: BOOM! Apparently she's made of anti-matter as she'll spontaneously combust when EVA'ing on Kerbin
  • And there's many more!

I hate to be negative, but most of the new parts are space plane parts, and with aerodynamics as broken as they are... I'm a tiny bit disappointed.

Oh well, I'm sure it will get fixed sooner or later.

Just because you're not an aerospace engineer does NOT mean that aerodynamics update was implemented wrong. Quite the opposite, it proves that the people complaining about it..are armchair scientists who know NOTHING about aerodynamics and love to pretend they do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.