Trying to Drill in minmus

Heyap, newbie asking stuff.. ^^

Why my "Drill-o-matic" mining excavator, ISRU converter and large holding tank doesn't work at minmus? I get tiny amount of ore and after that drill just keeps overheating almost instantly.

When i tested same setup at kerbal it was working nice without overheating and gets my lander refueled.

Is there somewhere a mining map or other source which would show where mining works and where it doesn't?

Game is non-modded ver 1.0

I'm having the same problem. Mining on minmus, I can get the drills to work; although quite slowly. The ISRU however shows 100% overheat and will not start. My rig has 6 large solar panels. The entire machine is stock.

Well.. I tried second time on minmus:

This time i landed on south pole of minmus and drilling seems to work. Earlier try was (i assume) 'great flats' biome.

From first landing spot i got enough ore to make about 1000 units of fuel and oxidizer before drill went idle and overheated. Then I flew a few kilometres and from 2nd spot i managed to mine enough to ore fill fuel tanks, that is about 12000 units (kg?) of fuel and oxidizer.

So i suppose it's about biomes.. should learn how those work :-P

got the same problem on the mun no idea how to cool it down though

For me ISRU seems to overheat easily IF container is full of ore before i start ISRU, this makes ISRU work at high load and overheat easy.

If i start drill & ISRU at same time ISRU works at very light load (1% or so) and doesn't seem to overheat. As for drill overheating i assume it only means that the place you are drilling is 'empty'.

Heyap, newbie asking stuff.. ^^

Why my "Drill-o-matic" mining excavator, ISRU converter and large holding tank doesn't work at minmus? I get tiny amount of ore and after that drill just keeps overheating almost instantly.

When i tested same setup at kerbal it was working nice without overheating and gets my lander refueled.

Is there somewhere a mining map or other source which would show where mining works and where it doesn't?

Game is non-modded ver 1.0

Did your ship have solar panels?

The whole resource mining stuff does not work due to overheating. I went into the respective parts .cfg files and changed "TemperatureModifier" from 500 in the ISRU and 50 for the drill to 5. Now it works like a charm.

The ISRU have a "TemperatureModifier" for each conversion mode.

I guess you have to put that new scanner (in the science tab) on a polar orbit so it shows you where are the higher concentrations of ore in the planet. I did not send drills to other places yet, but I have this new scanner on kerbin's polar orbit and now I have a color overlay on map showing where there's more ore.

I got the same problem on the Mun, but with an extra twist. My drilling ship has a return capsule to go back to Kerbin. Now that the drills and ISRU are at 100% overheat, it seems to be eating up the capsule's ablator. Any ideas anyone? Is this a bug, should I get a mod with radiators or am I just doing something wrong. Engineer maybe?

Edited by PeskyPony

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.