New Mobile Processing Lab mechanics

After i landed on the Mun and Minmus i wanted to set up a spacestation with a mobile lab do passively get some science while i plan and fly a mission to Duna or Gilly. Since my launcher was a bit overbuild i placed the lab in a 1000km munar orbit, not around Kerbin as planed. As i moved my kerbonauts to the lab and started research i noticed that i dont get any science, 0,0000sci/day. Even after a long timewarp i still havent got any science. I have solarpanels, but my batterys are not big enough for the long time in munar shadow, is that the reason for failure or am i using the lab wrong?

Have you done science in orbit of The Mun? Because once you have done science in an area it will give you less (or none) science as you could easily farm the same area of scince. (I don't play career that much so I am not really sure)

There's a few prerequisites - the lab has to be crewed by two kerbals (preferably scientists to boost the science output, the higher level the better) and apparently a manned pod/probe core on the same craft.

Next, you need data in the form of science experiments, if you run an experiment you should see another icon that tells you how much data it'll add to the lab, lab can hold a max of 500. After that, you just start research, it'll eat up electricity and slowly give you science.

I think that's more or less it.

OK, I was playing with this earlier and I think I'm starting to understand it.

On the craft with the MPL you need a variety of experiments, one of each type. Whatever you have available so far in the tech tree you need to throw on there. Oh, and an antenna and plenty of power.

Then you need a couple of scientists in there. Not sure this is totally necessary but I think the better the scientist the more science you'll get.

Launch it.

Now you run an experiment and make sure you choose to Process in Lab Module (the bubbling yellow flask). You should see after it finishes in the MPL that the Data has increased depending on how much science you got from running the experiment; not much at the launchpad, more on the Mun. You will also have some Rate of sci/day now, which is the important bit, its what you are trying to get high.

You repeat this for all the experiments, max 6, one of each type.

You will then have a up to 500 Data depending on how many experiments you used, how good the science was (have you already done all the science before at this location?) and the quality of your scientists.

Hit Start Research and your Science will start to go up. Whenever you like can Transmit Science.

If you leave it too long and Science maxes out at 500 then anymore will be lost. So be sure to check in regularly.

Or something like that.

I shoot my lab (after a reload) into interplanetary space with a mun flyby and run all experiments i could on the way. After that i had 483 data in the lab (apparently you also get data from experments that would yield no science since they were recovered before). I retuned my lab to a kerbin orbit (changed nothing in sci/day) and started to research there. It somehow uses the data and generates science from it, 1 data yields about 4 science...

Stuff you folks probably care about:

• Scientists matter - the more stars the better.
  • You can plunk data in even if you have no more normal science to gain (otherwise it would limit what you could use based on when you got the lab unlocked).
  • You get a data bonus if you are on the ground vs orbit.
  • You get a data bonus if the lab is in/around the same body the science came from
  • Science rate is based on scientists and how much data you have.
  • It has a long tail! But anticipate about 5 science per data.
  • Each lab can, in it's lifetime, research only one copy of any single unique experiment result. Goo at the poles and Goo over the grasslands are two different results.
  • You can put an experiment in as many labs as you like :)

I was trying to work out an optimum scenario for their use now. Something like:

Drop an MPL with 6 experiments and two top scientists to a virgin biome. Do the experiments and process the results. Start collecting collecting science over time. Then either move the MPL to another biome or bring data from another biome to it and process it to increase the data and so science rate.

I have a feeling that you don't want to send the science results back. This would reduce the science produced from the location for a subsequent MPL (or non-MPL) visit to that location.

MPL research and regular science from transmission are completely decoupled - using one does not preclude the use of another.

Aha, interesting. So the lab has the same value with fresh untransmitted data as with used already transmitted data.

Ok I think I understand, you can both analyze in lab, transmit and retrieve an science measurement like an surface sample or eva observation.

The science labs data counter is not the same as the mbit of data in an sample, the later is just how long it takes to transmit while the lab data depend on how much science the sample contains.

Will the amount of data in the lab go down over time as its getting converted into science? Has only tested this on runway. but plan on launching one to Mun soon.

Ok I think I understand, you can both analyze in lab, transmit and retrieve an science measurement like an surface sample or eva observation.

The science labs data counter is not the same as the mbit of data in an sample, the later is just how long it takes to transmit while the lab data depend on how much science the sample contains.

Will the amount of data in the lab go down over time as its getting converted into science? Has only tested this on runway. but plan on launching one to Mun soon.

The amount of data goes down as it is consumed and turned into science.

So... the first thing to do would be to put one of those labs on wheels and park at the KSP, do temperature, gravity, goo, jr. lab experiments and let the lab munch on tha data until it is finished, then move it to an adjacent biome and repeat the process? Then, same procedure in Kerbal orbit, Mun surface, etc.?

How much science can I expect like this? I am a rather new player and have started a new career game and am starved of science, but I figure getting that lab asap would alleviate my issues.

So... the first thing to do would be to put one of those labs on wheels and park at the KSP, do temperature, gravity, goo, jr. lab experiments and let the lab munch on tha data until it is finished, then move it to an adjacent biome and repeat the process? Then, same procedure in Kerbal orbit, Mun surface, etc.?

How much science can I expect like this? I am a rather new player and have started a new career game and am starved of science, but I figure getting that lab asap would alleviate my issues.

Probably not very cost effective but more to learn how it works.

Far smarter to land it on Minmus or put it on Mun orbit and feed it with data of far higher quality.

The amount of data goes down as it is consumed and turned into science.

Thanks, then it work as I expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually... your multiplier while on Kerbin is incredibly low - i.e. you don't learn more about the behavior of plants in space or life on other worlds by driving a rover through central park ;)

I was thinking more about how the lab was working. I have an lab on runway myself for this. I will recover it before launching the first to Mun or Minmus.

Oh, don´t worry, I will be spamming them. :)

Money is not the problem so far, playing only on moderate difficulty w reloads (I couldn´t afford the huge "learning by doing" costs I need right now, anyways...). The problem is more to get the science unlock both the lab as well as appropriate engines/tanks; they are pretty much spaced apart in the tech tree. Slightly worried that the lab comes a bit too late to really profit from it much, once the cash and outsourcing marketing strategy really kick in.

BTW, I did some stories about my first Kerbal exploits on my blog ( http://falkenherz.blogspot.de/ ). I have had a blast as a newb in 0.9!

Edited by Falkenherz

Wow! I really have to hand it to you, Roverdude and Squad. I remember all the threads we had on this forum about how visiting a planet/moon was a "land + click for science + leave" affair, and there was no reason to set up permanent shop or really anything to DO on and around it.

I think ISRU changed that. There's reason to have infrastructure in an area. Building a base is meaningful in a gameplay way, not just for roleplay.

And now I think the Mobile Processing lab is doing the same thing. There's a reason to have a lab in orbit, or better yet, on the surface, and biome hop to farm science in the lab while using the Science -> Funds strategy, or even the immediate science -> funds strategy.

This is excellent game design. Bravo!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.