[WIP/Planning] SDHI AeroFairings - incrementally tweakable clamshell payload shrouds

sumghai

Bomoo, Sumghai all ready has an idea of what the mod will be like and why he wants it that way, no need to keep bringing up the same points. Especially because he all ready mentioned having boat-tail bases that will allow larger payloads (within reason). Besides, never had any problems designing craft with the old KW fairings, the restrictions of size made it more challenging and fun. If that doesn't sound fun for you then you can use Procedural Fairings/KW

Railgunner, the OP talked about how it'll be different than the KW mod.

I've been checking this thread throughout the day since you wrote the op. It's exactly what I've been looking for since the first time I booted up 1.0. Can't wait to get a chance to try it out!

@weeble, no, it refers to the old multi-part fairings you had to build from the nose down. Since then KW has been updated with a variation of the Stock Procedural fairings, however it enforces a strict radius limit on how you can build the fairings. If I use a 2.5m fairing base the fairing maxes a 2.5m, if I use a 3.75m expanded fairing base I can only go as wide as the top of the base....

In other words the KW fairings have strict limits on how crazy you can get with your payload fairings. As a side note, the KW fairings make great interstage fairings now!!

Edit: It also seems to enforce a strict height limit, so no really really tall fairings.....

Edited by Railgunner2160

I'm aware that KW Rocketry switched to using a modified version of the stock procedural faring system, with the aforementioned radius and length limits. However, SDHI AeroFairings adds an additional limitation to length, in that you can only alter them in discrete increments, rather than continuously like in procedural fairings. You can imagine this as the SDHI factory assembling fairings from various prefabricated segments of fixed dimensions, and then shipping them out to customers as turnkey solutions.

Again, folks, please don't expect SDHI AeroFairings as a be-all end-all solution to all fairing-related needs. If you guys want bespoke handcrafted fairings, feel free to use the stock / KW Rocketry / e-dog procedural fairings; however, if you want to take advantage of economies of scale from standardized mass-produced components, then SDHI AeroFairings is for you.

I sincerely hope I don't have to address this again.

• 1 month later...

How are you planning to get the varying number of sections that make up the length of the clamshell? It seems like you're doing it incrementally, which would be a great framework for a "make your own modular RTG" mod, where you can vary the number of smaller RTG sections that you need to get a greater level of power. So you'd be able to change the number of smaller RTG subsections to build up a larger RTG, up to a certain max length. Might be interesting.

(Sorry, this doesn't really have much to do with this fairing mod... Just a rambling thought I was having)

How are you planning to get the varying number of sections that make up the length of the clamshell?

As per my progress report from May 2015, the idea is that I will make a small set of shared models, and a bespoke plugin will duplicate/assemble them as needed in the VAB/SPH.

• 4 weeks later...
Any news? I am relly curious to test these fairings ^^

The laptop I do my dev work on is out of commission, and actually couldn't run KSP at all in the first place. I have all my data safely backed up, but otherwise, development is on hold until further notice.

Also, this add-on will make use of a bespoke plugin to eliminate dependencies. Since I'm a modeller and texturer rather than a coder, I'll need to work with MOARdV and Starwaster on this.

Finally, FusTek Station Parts currently takes priority, once I get a better machine that can actually run the game.

• 5 months later...
32 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

Sorry to necropost, but do you have that "better machine" yet? I don't want to see this disappear into the multitude of mods that were never completed.

I do now.

However, my priority right now is to get SDHI SMS compatible with 1.0.5/1.1, which is currently dependent on some third-party contributions/fixes.

• 2 months later...

I don't think this particular question has been asked yet (though I skim-read most of the thread) but has a tweakable base size been considered?

f.e. a slider that can scale from 1.25m to 3.75m in half-size steps?

I'm not sure if tweakables can be limited in availability in a tech tree though... (having to unlock bigger parts to make the larger tweakable settings available)

Also, have you ruled out 0.65m and 5m base sizes?

I'm really looking forward to when you have time to continue work on this fairing mod as it looks like a pretty damn awesome system to me, particularly the rocket-assisted payload separation!

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.