[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

11 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

you're talking about just the placement of props?

Yes.  The IVAs I've released entailed 40+ hours of work between placing props, customizing them, and testing them throughout most flight procedures.  I'm not willing to sink that kind of time commitment into IVAs that I don't use in the game, so I won't be creating IVA prop layouts for most stock IVAs.

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

Yikes. I guess IVA dev sucks in all aspects :P well, good to know so I don't go about trying to do one myself and expect it to be quick

It's certainly possible to make them much, much faster than I do.  It's one place where I am a perfectionist - I want an IVA layout that makes sense and can be used effectively.  And I suppose if I went for an all-glass cockpit, it'd be even quicker, since I don't have to care as much about where I place things - put the big screens in front of the crew, add some buttons for action groups, gear, lights, etc, and done.  But I find non-digital instrument panels more interesting, myself.

@MOARdV I'm working on a holo visor which which would report different situations for players who play with the Through The Eyes of a Kerbal mod.

Is it possible to take RPM out and make it work outside? I tried to add RPM modules to a part, but it still refuses to work in EVA. I don't need buttons, just a particular info page.

34-2-1386227502.jpg   

Edited by Enceos

Hey there, I noticed that the definied variables, DELTAV and DELTAVSTAGE don't produce any values.

edit: okay issue appears to be in UpdateDeltaVStats()

the error i get is System.invalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.

Edited by jackellice

2 hours ago, jackellice said:

Hey there, I noticed that the definied variables, DELTAV and DELTAVSTAGE don't produce any values.

the error i get is System.invalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.

It looks like I didn't get a fix in to RPM for a change in MechJeb.

6 hours ago, Enceos said:

@MOARdV I'm working on a holo visor which which would report different situations for players who play with the Through The Eyes of a Kerbal mod.

Is it possible to take RPM out and make it work outside? I tried to add RPM modules to a part, but it still refuses to work in EVA. I don't need buttons, just a particular info page.

No, it's not.  Due to the many "This mod is laggy!" complaints that showed up over the years, RPM only works when in IVA, or possibly when outside the vessel and using the see-though-the-hull mode.  It goes to sleep and stops updating otherwise.

On 12/15/2016 at 7:38 PM, MOARdV said:

I suspect it does.  I'm currently on 1.2.2, and I haven't needed to rebuild.

You still have it listed as a pre-release on Github, so CKAN won't touch it.  

If it's stable,could you move it into a full release?  There are a number of mods which depend on it and are currently uninstallable because of this

Thanks

4 hours ago, jackellice said:

I checked again, and I don't get that error.  Are you up to date on MechJeb?  If you are, please put the full log somewhere so I can look into this.  Otherwise, please update to 2.6.0

EDIT: Correction - I didn't get an update out with the fix.  Too much going on, and I missed releasing a beta.  I'll get one out "today", I think.

Edited by MOARdV

v0.28.0 is now officially released.  This release includes a couple of last-second fixes.  If you haven't been using one of the betas before today, take the time to look at the release notes on the GitHub release page - there are changes required in some glass cockpit / digital display props in order to work correctly with v0.28.0.

Ugghh.. I'm working on overhauling the model for Yarbrough08's Mk1-1 A2 pod, and came here to report a couple bugs/issues I came across, only to see they've already been fixed in the latest release... lol
@MOARdV, I usually check first anyway, but THANX for posting a link directly to the latest rel. notes :thumbs_up:

26 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Ugghh.. I'm working on overhauling the model for Yarbrough08's Mk1-1 A2 pod, and came here to report a couple bugs/issues I came across, only to see they've already been fixed in the latest release... lol
@MOARdV, I usually check first anyway, but THANX for posting a link directly to the latest rel. notes :thumbs_up:

The Yarbrough08 pod is still my favorite 2-seater.  It's my default platform for developing the RPM follow-on plugin.  One of these days I'll post screen shots, and maybe an alpha build for it.

4 hours ago, MOARdV said:

The Yarbrough08 pod is still my favorite 2-seater.  It's my default platform for developing the RPM follow-on plugin.  One of these days I'll post screen shots, and maybe an alpha build for it.

Yeah... but its your Flight Redux that solely attracts me to using THIS 2-seater... :P

I've been struggling for the past couple weeks making changes to the models & textures... Got the external ComPod completely finished.. Just got the flag working again yesterday... I have window lighting and the hatch/ladder working. Had the heatshield just about done, when I did something to the RCS ports... :P
The IVA is proving the most difficult... And all I did for that was to redo the UV & textures, but having to get it set up properly in Unity again is proving a HUGE PIA...

Hello there,
I installed the mod and I have a serous issue. The problem is that the mod simply doesn't work, like it wasn't installed. I have only Raster Prop Monitor and ModuleManager.2.7.5 installed. I installed it via CKAN and manually and it didn't change anything. I could really use some help.

4 hours ago, Kowalski said:

Hello there,
I installed the mod and I have a serous issue. The problem is that the mod simply doesn't work, like it wasn't installed. I have only Raster Prop Monitor and ModuleManager.2.7.5 installed. I installed it via CKAN and manually and it didn't change anything. I could really use some help.

Please read the first post on the following topic.  It tells you about simple troubleshooting you can do.  Most importantly, it tells you where to find the KSP logs.  You will have to provide logs for anyone to figure out enough to help you.

51 minutes ago, serdarilban said:

how am I gonna do that scansat altimetry scan?

Using a scansat altimetry scanner.  RPM doesn't do the scanning for you.  You still have to place probes with scanners in orbit to generate the map, or place the scanner on your spacecraft so you can scan while you fly.

Is there a guideline on which is faster:

• using one JSIVariableAnimator with many VARIABLESETs or
  • using multiple JSIVariableAnimator with lessVARIABLESETs?

Using more could allow for some of them being refreshed less frequently, thats for sure, but if all are polled every frame, which is faster?

5 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

Is there a guideline on which is faster:

• using one JSIVariableAnimator with many VARIABLESETs or
  • using multiple JSIVariableAnimator with lessVARIABLESETs?

Using more could allow for some of them being refreshed less frequently, thats for sure, but if all are polled every frame, which is faster?

Each JSIVariableAnimator is an InternalModule, and it entails overhead to instantiate and to update every frame.  Multiple animators will be more costly (more memory required, and more CPU cycles), but I don't know if there's enough difference for it to be detectable.

Sorry to bother you again.

I am stuck finding a way to switch pages or adjust the zoom of a camera depending of the state of a perPodPersistent variable.
Currently, my setup is this:

the camera is bound to a page and uses globalbuttons to zoom in and out
MODULE
{
    name = RasterPropMonitor

.... yadda yadda screen transform etc...

globalButtons = collider_wide,collider_zoom

PAGE
    {
        name = tks_va_vzor_zoom_page
        cameraTransform = va_capsule_nodeVzor
        cameraAspect = 1.0
        zoomFov = 25,65,3
        zoomButtons = 0,1
    }
}

the same colliders "collider_wide","collider_zoom" are used in a JSINumericInput to affect a perPodPersistent variable that is then used in a JSIVariableAnimator to drive the rotation of a rotating selector knob.

The problem is: the state of the JSIVariableAnimator is saved in the persistent variable, but the state of the camera zoom is reset every time when the user is switching to the vessel.

Is there a way to control the zoom lever of a camera, or - if this is not possible - switch to different pages (that are configured with different zoom levels of a camera) by the state of a variable that is pod-persistant?

Again, sorry if this is already answered. Unfortunately, my first ever ksp prop is also a quite complicated RPM-driven one. :)

Edited by InsaneDruid

18 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

Is there a way to control the zoom lever of a camera, or - if this is not possible - switch to different pages (that are configured with different zoom levels of a camera) by the state of a variable that is pod-persistant?

Again, sorry if this is already answered. Unfortunately, my first ever ksp prop is also a quite complicated RPM-driven one. :)

Unfortunately, there isn't. This is a limitation of the way RPM was implemented.  Camera state is not persistent, and the only variable-driven element of the pages are the text overlays, not the backgrounds.

AH ok so I got the documentation right. Could it work the other way around - making a persistent variable (that controls the animation) be non-persistent? Before I added the RasterPropMonitorComputer module module to fix the problems mentioned by me on github (and thus realized it was the RasterPropMonitorComputer that made a persistent var persistent) it was OK, as the animation resetted to the same state as the zoom. Is this somehow possible?

What would work though is making several meshes that function as projecting surfaces for different RPM monitors -> each with a different camera config. These meshes then could flip 90° into a surrounding non-transparent mesh, depending on the same persistent variable as the switch rotation. IE on switch pos 0 plane a is visible, on switch pos 1 plane a gets rotated out of view and plane b is visible etc. But having at least 3 cams render to a surface that then is not really used seems wasteful.