[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

1 hour ago, Mark Kerbin said:

@Nightguard We are going to need more details. Output log, and maybe some screenshots of your gamedata folder. Also, are those modded cockpits or stock? 

airplane plus. until now i still dont know where i can findi the output log, I'll show the screenshot tomorrow

2 hours ago, Nightguard said:

airplane plus. until now i still dont know where i can findi the output log, I'll show the screenshot tomorrow

From a look at the Airplane Plus post, it does not include RPM IVAs.  RasterPropMonitor does not automatically create IVAs - someone has to make them.  It can take a long time to create a good IVA, so not many modders do.  You might try asking on the Airplane Plus thread if anyone has made RPM versions of the IVAs.

4 hours ago, Nightguard said:

until now i still dont know where i can findi the output log, I'll show the screenshot tomorrow

I have found that the newer versions of KSP (1.4 and up??) put the output_log.txt file in "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt", at least for PC systems.  Older versions had it the install directory somewhere.  Read this topic (also in the link at the bottom of MOARdV's sig block):

3 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I have found that the newer versions of KSP (1.4 and up??) put the output_log.txt file in "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt", at least for PC systems.  Older versions had it the install directory somewhere.  Read this topic (also in the link at the bottom of MOARdV's sig block):

thanks!

5 hours ago, MOARdV said:

From a look at the Airplane Plus post, it does not include RPM IVAs.  RasterPropMonitor does not automatically create IVAs - someone has to make them.  It can take a long time to create a good IVA, so not many modders do.  You might try asking on the Airplane Plus thread if anyone has made RPM versions of the IVAs.

oh... lemme try other cockpits...

May I ask how this mod is able to display the camera feed inside the IVA cockpit? I would like to write a mod (or modify the existing KURS or Hullcam mods) to broadcast the camera feed to a second monitor (that I want to integrate into a simpit), without actually rendering anything to the main KSP window. I assume this mod somehow renders the camera feed to a texture, and then renders the texture onto the IVA control panel? I imagine I would need to do something similar except that instead of rendering the texture, I would have to read the texture's data back (and then send it using away websockets of course).

Any advice would be helpful as, athough I am familiar with programming as a whole, I am not familiar with Unity or KSP modding :)

9 hours ago, c4ooo said:

May I ask how this mod is able to display the camera feed inside the IVA cockpit?

As you imagined, the camera (cameras, in KSP / Unity's case) render to a RenderTexture object.  That RT is also used as the texture on a simple mesh, which is how the camera view in the MFD shows up.  The source that does (most) of the work in RasterPropMonitor is in FlyingCamera.  However, I would recommend basing a design on the MOARdV's Avionics Systems version, MASCamera.  MAS has incorporated the things I learned since taking over RPM, and one of those is an improvement to managing the cameras (when they render, how they render).

On 5/27/2018 at 5:29 PM, Zafer Altan said:

isn't it compatible with the new MK1-3 Command pod? For me it's not working

Same issue.

Clean installation but some pods has no monitors.

Are there any solutions?

22 hours ago, slsh said:

Are there any solutions?

The solution is that someone has to take the time to add RPM props to the Mk1-3 Command Pod, and share that new IVA.  I am not developing new IVAs for this mod, since I am working on the replacement for this mod.

53 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

The solution is that someone has to take the time to add RPM props to the Mk1-3 Command Pod, and share that new IVA.  I am not developing new IVAs for this mod, since I am working on the replacement for this mod.

Oh boy, i just came in here to ask about if you'd be adding some more IVA's, and reading this, i'm looking forward to not having more IVA's added for the time being. Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 9:47 AM, MOARdV said:

As you imagined, the camera (cameras, in KSP / Unity's case) render to a RenderTexture object.  That RT is also used as the texture on a simple mesh, which is how the camera view in the MFD shows up.  The source that does (most) of the work in RasterPropMonitor is in FlyingCamera.  However, I would recommend basing a design on the MOARdV's Avionics Systems version, MASCamera.  MAS has incorporated the things I learned since taking over RPM, and one of those is an improvement to managing the cameras (when they render, how they render).

I have taken a look and I am not sure how the code is supposed to be used. As far as I see, MAS doesn't come with any camera models itself, so is the code meant to use/control cameras from mods like KURS?

11 hours ago, c4ooo said:

I have taken a look and I am not sure how the code is supposed to be used. As far as I see, MAS doesn't come with any camera models itself, so is the code meant to use/control cameras from mods like KURS?

The code can work with any part - it doesn't strictly have to be a camera model.  If you look in the GameData/MOARdV/FlightSystems at Squad.cfg, you can see where the MASCamera is added to docking ports (allowing for a docking camera).  If you're looking for camera parts, there's one in the ALCOR lander, IIRC, and HullcamVDS had lots of cameras (I don't know off-hand if that mod is still maintained, but the parts would probably be usable with MAS).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Just popping in to report an issue and the quick fix I did.

So reading back in this topic I see people mentioning that certain text on the MFDs are flipped. This recently happened to me, but don't worry, the issue was just user error. I had accidentally installed RPM twice so basically every file had a (2) version. I have no idea why this would cause flipping, but after I cleaned out all the duplicate files RPM worked normally again. What interests ,e is that the previous replies here seemed to indicate that the issue was caused by some anti-aliasing/DirectX issues, so being able cause this just by having duplicated files is very strange. I don't know if this was just a fluke on my end though, I'll try to recreate this on purpose and will report back later.

Edited by TronX33

Ok so yeah, I thought something was off. I tried duplicating everything but RPM still worked fine. I can't reproduce the flipped text anymore, even though all I did to fix it was to clean up the JSI folder.

Here's my sequence of events:

1) Installed RPM + RPM compatible mods.

2) Found that some text elements were flipped.

3) Tries reinstalling RPM from the original .zip that I downloaded, so no new versions from GitHub were downloaded if any were released. This probably caused the duplicated now that I think back.

4) Still broken.

5) Remove everything except JSI, Squad, and ModuleManager from GameData folder.

6) Still broken.

7) At this point I've given up on fixing this myself and prepare to ask for help. I go into the JSi folder to get to the RPM config and turn on the more detailed error logging. I see the duplicates.

8) I remove the duplicates.

8) Launch KSP to get screenshots and to generate a new output_log and ksp.log

9) RPM works fine.

I am just completely confused right now.

Oh boy I got more issues.

RPM doesn't seem to add any MFDs into some of the stock cockpits.

I thought it might have been because for time period-realism purposes, but the basic MK1 pod has MFDs, but the new Mk 1-2 does not. The MK1 Inline also has no MFDs, as well as the MK2 Inline.

I've cleaned out my GameData of everything except stock parts, then reinstalled RPM from scratch. I've enabled Debuglogging in the RPM config. I've put the KSP.log and output_log into a zip folder because pastebin said it was too big.

Here is an imgur album of screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/Ur2VoyC

and a link to both log files:

https://mega.nz/#F!72ZzECyJ

6 minutes ago, TronX33 said:

I thought it might have been because for time period-realism purposes, but the basic MK1 pod has MFDs, but the new Mk 1-2 does not. The MK1 Inline also has no MFDs, as well as the MK2 Inline.

I'm glad you sorted out the installation error earlier.

As far as what you're reporting here: this is not a bug.  RPM was intended to be a toolkit to allow other modders to create interactive IVAs.  It has always included stock IVAs so players and modders alike could get an idea of what the mod could do.  However, it was never intended to be a replacement for all stock IVAs, nor was it intended to introduce period-accurate IVAs (especially since the props available in RPM are inadequate for anything other than a glass or semi-glass cockpit). Every IVA requires someone to take the time to create them, but it takes a fair amount of time to do so.  When Squad changes an IVA (such as the space plans) or adds a new command pod (such as the Mk1-3), there will not be a new IVA until someone creates one.

There are also a number of other mods around that provide RPM IVAs that are higher quality and/or more detailed than what's included here.  I've lost track of which ones are available, and which ones are still maintained, so it will take a bit of poking around the forum to find them.

The RPM replacement, MOARdV's Avionics Systems (see my sig) includes a replacement Mk1 pod that's closer to 1960's space tech.  It also includes a partial Mk1-3 "Apollo-ish" IVA, as well.  I'm also working on an advanced Apollo-style IVA that will work with the Bluedog Design Bureau Apollo/Saturn stack.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for your patience, I guess I just may have misremembered which cockpits had some demo IVAs, it's been a while since I last played.

Also didn't realize that the new pod was actually new (1-3 vs 1-2).

I'll definitely look around for some dedicated IVA mods.

I also want to thank you for maintenance this mod, which has basically been mandatory for me through my years of off-and-on play of KSP.

You should make this mod compatible with the BDArmory mod. you can make a display for the radars and targeting parts. perhaps a weapons menu as well. I think this has great potential for things like that

Here is a link to BDArmory, the mod I am talking about:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155014-14x-bdarmory-continued-v1222-882018-vessel-mover-camera-tools-bdmk22-destruction-effects-burn-together/

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 2:48 PM, TronX33 said:

I've cleaned out my GameData of everything except stock parts, then reinstalled RPM from scratch. I've enabled Debuglogging in the RPM config. I've put the KSP.log and output_log into a zip folder because pastebin said it was too big.

Here is an imgur album of screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/Ur2VoyC

and a link to both log files:

https://mega.nz/#F!72ZzECyJ

Yeah they can be a pain to redo the cockpits to add in the monitors. I helped work on them back in the day and did some modded ones. If I had the time now i would update the new capsules to have the monitors, but I don't really have the time I did years ago. If I remember correctly, you have to download Unity and then load a cockpit or capsule scene and move around all the buttons and what not to make room for the monitors. 

On 8/26/2018 at 12:59 PM, TigerCAt_meh said:

You should make this mod compatible with the BDArmory mod. you can make a display for the radars and targeting parts. perhaps a weapons menu as well. I think this has great potential for things like that

Well, I say, I say, hold on there.

You're asking someone to take on a pile of extra work.  RPM is the set of tools to create IVAs and has a few demo IVAs included with it to show what can be done.  It's not up to @MOARdV to write every IVA.  I imagine he has his hands full maintaining RPM, developing its replacement MAR, working on a couple of IVAs like he mentions above, and supporting his other mods.  Perhaps squeezing in some playing of KSP for his own enjoyment.

MOARdV keeps RPM working.  Others use the tools RPM provides (as well as the extended tools provided by @alexustas's ASET Avionics and Props) to make IVAs.

If you want IVAs that are tailored to BD Armory, I suggest you ask about it in their topic.  There may be some appropriate IVAs already developed.  And if not, maybe someone there will have spare time and the knowhow of what should be in a BD Armory IVA to write them.  And if the BD Armory IVA modders need new plumbing tools from RPM or ASET to implement what they want, they can talk to MOARdV and alexustas about perhaps adding those tools.

Edited by Jacke