[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

I don't know if it's just me, but the orbit MFD doesn't show the actual orbit circle

https://imgur.com/a/Z8lTle6

I noticed it doesn't work in career, while it works fine in sandbox... weird. Any idea why it may be?

Do you think it could have anything to do with patchedConicSolver not being available in early career? I would like to try it out, but how do I enable it?

Edited by wowKerbal

17 hours ago, wowKerbal said:

Do you think it could have anything to do with patchedConicSolver not being available in early career

I'm pretty sure that's the issue.  RPM uses info from the patchedConicSolver for some of the orbital display.

In other news, RasterPropMonitor v0.30.4 is now out.  This fixes the inverted MFD problem in DX11.  I'm not sure why I thought previously that it was working - I probably had things configured wrong.

7 hours ago, Challyss said:

Hello. Great job on this mod.

How's the work going on the integration of RPM UI to new/reworked capsules ?

Anything a random player like me can do to help ?

Thanks, and welcome to the forum.

I am not developing new IVAs for RPM, since I've moved on to creating RPM's successor mod, MAS.  However, I'm always happy to add replacement IVAs from the forum.

If you want to help, there's always learning how to add props to an IVA in Unity.  It's not terribly difficult to do once you get the hang of it - the hardest part is usually getting the KSP PartTools working in Unity so you can get started.  There are posts on the forum that tell you how to make IVAs, but I don't have links handy right this moment (I'll try to track them down today and add them to my sig, but you should be able to search the add-on development forum).

Thanks for taking time to reply ! Keep up the good work. I'll check MAS when it's CKAN friendlier, and look into KSP PartTools when I get some time.

Congratulations again on your work on RPM, it's really a plus for KSP experience.

On 5/24/2018 at 6:08 AM, MOARdV said:

It's not terribly difficult to do once you get the hang of it

Isn't' that like saying "Quantum Mechanics is easy to do if you look like you know what your doing"? :cool:

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

Isn't' that like saying "Quantum Mechanics is easy to do if you look like you know what your doing"? :cool:

No.  Not at all.  Quantum Mechanics is much easier than MAS.

Wait.  Strike that. Reverse it.  :)

@MOARdV So i finally got the chance to fire up KSP for the first time, using 0.30.4...
Happy to confirm that the issue I was seeing with Dx11 and AA on, seems completley fixed. :D

As always, THANX for all that you do for us. ;)

4 hours ago, Angstinator said:

So lemme get this straight, the big problem's been fixed but a replacement mod is being developed anyway.

What else is wrong with RPM, then?

Architectural limitations of the design prevent it from being flexible and easy to work with for IVA prop developers. and they impose a performance hit as well.  For an example, look at the directory in the ASET props mod ASET/ASET_Props/CUSTOMs.  All of those files exist to do what should be really simple things like adding a couple of values together, or returning a particular number if some conditions are met.  MAS scraps that by allowing the prop creator to simply use a mathematical expression like "x + y".  It also adds support for Lua scripting, so if the prop creator wants to do something fancier, he or she has the flexibility to do that.  MAS also eliminates having every component of every prop subscribing to the Unity FixedUpdate and/or Update cycle - instead, only one component subscribes.  On top of all of that, MAS uses a subscription model for updating props.  Each prop knows what data it cares about, and it asks the MAS Flight Computer to provide updates only when the data changes; in RPM, each prop would ask "What's this value now?".

TL; DR: The replacement is more powerful with better performance.  To get an idea of what alexustas has done with MAS so far, look at his YouTube channel.

On 6/4/2018 at 4:32 AM, Angstinator said:

So lemme get this straight, the big problem's been fixed but a replacement mod is being developed anyway.

What else is wrong with RPM, then?

Just to add to MOARdVs comment, he's been awesome in continuing to put time into bugfixes for RPM, and continuing it on life support, simply because almost ALL of the custom IVA mods out there, use RPM.
MAS is still not complete, and not many IVA developers have switched over to using it for new IVAs, much less converting the older, existing RPM IVAs over to MAS.
Developing custom IVAs is very time consuming, and I understand, can be aggravating and tedious. There seems to be a (relatively) small segment of KSP users that actually use IVAs, so the user niche is small, and for all the work that goes into an IVA, there doesnt seem to be much gratification or motivation for IVA developers to put the time into converting existing IVAs from RPM to MAS... or maybe even to make new ones...

At least MOARdV has worked it so that RPM and MAS can BOTH be used in an IVA at the same time, so that should make it a lot easier for IVA makers to switch IVAs from RPM to MAS... Notice I said "easIER"... NOT "easY".

So, if you use custom IVAs, its especially important to MAKE SURE to thank and support all the IVA developers. Especially alexustas and MOARdV, as well as all the actual IVA makers.

Edited by Stone Blue

RasterPropMonitor v0.30.5 is now available.  This is another small bugfix release, this time dealing with NREs that may occur when switching between vessels within physics range of one another.

Just downloaded it, and, Amazing. BUT it won't work anywhere except the Mk-1 inline cockpit 

Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it?

also kinda confused as to how some of the displays work.

Edited by Major_Rafael

Hello! I'm starting to use this awesome mod,  but met some weird trouble. On few screens the signs on image(just few, not all) is looks upside down, like this :

https://dropmefiles.com/JA499

Maybe someone also met such trouble before and can help me to solve this?

I'm using the last official steam version of KSP(64 bit) and last version of this mod. The other mods installed in really short amount yet and I dont think what its can be result of such conflict.

UPD: Trouble is solved, for some mysterious reason the version which I'm used appears not last. Kerbal-style lack of conentration perhaps.

UPD1: Mod is awesome, great thanks for the creator.

Edited by Istar

• 2 weeks later...

So i have an issue dealing with the Scatterer mod, the one that adds all of the fancy atmosphere and water effects, specifically to do with the post processing of scatterer and the external camera of raster prop monitor.

Basically: it shows what i'm looking at in the post processing through the exterior camera of raster prop monitor. so for instance, i have a camera pointed at the ground so i can see my stage seperations when in IVA. However, i happen to see the mountains my iva camera is pointing at as well, despite the camera not being pointed at them.

9 hours ago, TheScienceGuy120 said:

So i have an issue dealing with the Scatterer mod, the one that adds all of the fancy atmosphere and water effects, specifically to do with the post processing of scatterer and the external camera of raster prop monitor.

Basically: it shows what i'm looking at in the post processing through the exterior camera of raster prop monitor. so for instance, i have a camera pointed at the ground so i can see my stage seperations when in IVA. However, i happen to see the mountains my iva camera is pointing at as well, despite the camera not being pointed at them.

This is a known issue between Scatterer and the IVA cameras.  Scatterer doesn't know about these cameras being aimed differently than the main game camera, so it draws effects based on the main cameras, not the currently-active camera.  A fix would most likely require changes to both Scatterer and RPM/MAS so the IVA mod can tell Scatterer about the camera position.

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Nightguard said:

IT WORKS! Also, i dont know why, i recorded it, for some reason heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I forgot to mention that RPM feature in the release notes, I guess.

As a convention, most modders list versions that a mod is compatible with in the post's title, enclosed in square brackets (eg, "[1.4.x]").  If the last digit is an 'x' or a '*', that means "does not matter what number is here".  So, [1.4.x] means "Any version of KSP 1.4 - 1.4.0, 1.4.1, 1.4,2, 1.4.3, or 1.4.4".

3 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I forgot to mention that RPM feature in the release notes, I guess.

As a convention, most modders list versions that a mod is compatible with in the post's title, enclosed in square brackets (eg, "[1.4.x]").  If the last digit is an 'x' or a '*', that means "does not matter what number is here".  So, [1.4.x] means "Any version of KSP 1.4 - 1.4.0, 1.4.1, 1.4,2, 1.4.3, or 1.4.4".

oh, ok... but i sometimes still get a feeling it might have bugs, and it happens to all mods. thanks!

I put the jsi folder in the gamedata folder, but the cockpits still dont have rpm. im sure they will have if there was nothing wrong i was using 1.4.4 ksp as well and i have modulemanager. anyone got ideas?