[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

My transparent-glass IVA HUD in the Mark-I cockpit is pretty hard to read, and flickers a bit - any idea how I can fix this?

Submit a new font texture :) . Seriously, the problem is that the font we have for the HUD has a 1-pixel wide color section bordered by 1-pixel wide black (take a look at GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Library/Fonts/hudfont.png). When it's displayed in a significantly-shrunk size, like the IVA HUD, the narrow color section and the border causes it to flicker badly. Unfortunately, Mihara doesn't remember where that font came from, so we can't simply reprocess it. What we need is someone who can create a new font using 2-pixel wide color strips with no black border pixels. I think that would provide a reasonably easy to read font, with none (or very little) of the flicker we have now. I don't have the time nor artistic talent to work on such a thing, but I would be very grateful if someone did come up with one.

Any idea of a reference to the config you need to put into place to make this happen?

Create a config file somewhere (I put mine in GameData/MOARdV/overrides.cfg) with the following:

@PART[dockingPort2]
{
MODULE
{
name = JSIExternalCameraSelector
cameraContainer = dockingNode
cameraIDPrefix = ExtCam
}
}

This will make the 1.25m Clamp-O-Tron docking port contain an ExtCam (the stock external camera name) that will show up in the external cameras list. It will still work as a reference part camera for docking, but this will let you look through the docking port camera when it's not configured as the reference part. You can make similar changes for the other docking ports by replacing "dockingPort2" with the appropriate names, or do something fancier with ModuleManager to add cameras to all docking ports.

Submit a new font texture :) . Seriously, the problem is that the font we have for the HUD has a 1-pixel wide color section bordered by 1-pixel wide black (take a look at GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Library/Fonts/hudfont.png). When it's displayed in a significantly-shrunk size, like the IVA HUD, the narrow color section and the border causes it to flicker badly. Unfortunately, Mihara doesn't remember where that font came from, so we can't simply reprocess it. What we need is someone who can create a new font using 2-pixel wide color strips with no black border pixels. I think that would provide a reasonably easy to read font, with none (or very little) of the flicker we have now. I don't have the time nor artistic talent to work on such a thing, but I would be very grateful if someone did come up with one.

Thanks - I just edited the existing font to remove the black outlines - it can be a bit thin now but is much better when smaller, so will do for now.

Create a config file somewhere (I put mine in GameData/MOARdV/overrides.cfg) with the following:

This will make the 1.25m Clamp-O-Tron docking port contain an ExtCam (the stock external camera name) that will show up in the external cameras list. It will still work as a reference part camera for docking, but this will let you look through the docking port camera when it's not configured as the reference part. You can make similar changes for the other docking ports by replacing "dockingPort2" with the appropriate names, or do something fancier with ModuleManager to add cameras to all docking ports.

Again, thanks! I tried my own module configuration for this a while ago, and just managed to crash things.

You can use this tool I made to create font textures specifically for RPM... :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ae7qnf4sg2059gp/RPMFont.zip?dl=0

Edited by luizopiloto

Awesome mod, thanks for maintaining MOARdV.

I'm trying to do docking and rendezvous entirely from IVA, but RPM by itself does not display all the data I need (close approach distance for example). I'm pretty sure RPM can reference all the data I need but I can't find all where to edit what info is displayed on the different monitor pages. I'm not super mod savvy but I'm sure I can figure it out if you point me in the right direction. Also if anyone has a mod that does this already that I haven't been able to find that would be cool too :)

It also could be a nice feature if you could configure the monitors in game the same way you can change what info kerbal engineer displays. I don't know how do-able this is though.

Awesome mod, thanks for maintaining MOARdV.

I'm trying to do docking and rendezvous entirely from IVA, but RPM by itself does not display all the data I need (close approach distance for example)....

I'll publish my version of IVA "for Mk1-2 pod" and "ASET Props" in the next couple of days . You'll find all this information there :)

I'm trying to do docking and rendezvous entirely from IVA, but RPM by itself does not display all the data I need (close approach distance for example). I'm pretty sure RPM can reference all the data I need but I can't find all where to edit what info is displayed on the different monitor pages. I'm not super mod savvy but I'm sure I can figure it out if you point me in the right direction. Also if anyone has a mod that does this already that I haven't been able to find that would be cool too :)

It also could be a nice feature if you could configure the monitors in game the same way you can change what info kerbal engineer displays. I don't know how do-able this is though.

It's not really do-able - there are hundreds of variables, many ways to use them, various conditions where they're used, etc.

As far as editing your own - all of the text displayed on the screens can be found at GameData/JSI/RPMPodPatches/BasicMFD. The docking page is p3_target40x20.txt. Make a copy of that page as a backup, and you can edit the original to add defined variables that fill your needs. There should be a closest approach distance in there - I think I added that after Mihara had created the MFD.

I'll publish my version of IVA "for Mk1-2 pod" and "ASET Props" in the next couple of days . You'll find all this information there :)

Well, I guess I can shelve my version of the Mk1-2 IVA, then. It certainly won't be able to compete with yours. :)

That's because it hasn't been released yet. Wait a few days.

Thanks!

What about K2 Command Pod? I've tried to change some of the switches and buttons for at least one MFD and failed (I don't have Unity, I tried editing the .cfg files). Has anybody made a RPM interior for it?

I already know (and use) your Alcor mod. But I don't know where can I find this internal.

I just finished making this Internal and it's still in the testing phase. I'll public this immediately after it.

I just finished making this Internal and it's still in the testing phase. I'll public this immediately after it.

Thanks you, alexustas! You're the man!

What about K2 Command Pod?

I don't have Unity, so I tried, the hard way (editing the .cfg files), to change some of the switches and buttons of its internal file to add at least one MFD and failed. :(

I intended to delete some buttons and standing switches (I managed to do that), to move the altimeter (also accomplished that) and to set a smaller MFD on the freed space (thats the point where I failed).

T99KC5M.jpg

I know I'm asking TOO much, but can you take a look at K2's internal to see if it's possible to simply add one MFD?

Edited by jlcarneiro

I did an ALL-IVA rendezvous and docking with Alexustas' ALCOR capsule. I r

but not a good one.....

I only noticed today that Rpm can be used to arm and deploy real chute. I had a quick look on the panels and couldn't see any options for realchute. Is it only certain mods that include this feature on IVA?

Thanks

I only noticed today that Rpm can be used to arm and deploy real chute. I had a quick look on the panels and couldn't see any options for realchute. Is it only certain mods that include this feature on IVA?

Thanks

It's a relatively new feature, and I don't think any released mods use it.

It's a relatively new feature, and I don't think any released mods use it.

Thanks for the extremely fast reply!

I thought i had managed to completely miss this feature, I hope to see it in the future at some point. Anyway, keep up the good work with RPM, its without a doubt one of my favorite mods!

It's not really do-able - there are hundreds of variables, many ways to use them, various conditions where they're used, etc.

As far as editing your own - all of the text displayed on the screens can be found at GameData/JSI/RPMPodPatches/BasicMFD. The docking page is p3_target40x20.txt. Make a copy of that page as a backup, and you can edit the original to add defined variables that fill your needs. There should be a closest approach distance in there - I think I added that after Mihara had created the MFD.

so I've been messing around with the p3_target40x20.txt file

{1:"Target: ";"";""}{0}{1:;"Target: [#ffffff30]NO TARGET";""} $&$ TARGETNAME TARGETEXISTS
{2:;" ";""}Dist: {0:SIP_6.3}m Vel: {1:SIP_6.3}m/s $&$ TARGETDISTANCE APPROACHSPEED TARGETEXISTS
{3:;" ";""}R.Ang X: {0,6:0.00}° Y:{1,6:0.00}° Z: {2,6:0.00}° $&$TARGETANGLEX TARGETANGLEY TARGETANGLEZ TARGETEXISTS
{0:;;" Please select a reference part "} $&$ ISREMOTEREFERENCE
{0:;;" in target management menu. "} $&$ ISREMOTEREFERENCE

{0:;" ";""} [#ffffff77][@x-{1:0.0}][@y-{1:0.0}]¢ [@x{1:0.0}][@y-{1:0.0}]¡ $&$ TARGETEXISTS TARGETANGLEDEV

{0:;" ";""} [#ffffff77][@x-{1:0.0}][@y{1:0.0}]¤ [@x{1:0.0}][@y{1:0.0}]£ $&$ TARGETEXISTS TARGETANGLEDEV
[B]{0:;" ";""} D:{1:SIP_6.3}m $&$ TARGETCLOSESTAPPROACHDISTANCE TARGETEXISTS
{0:;" ";""} T:{0:METyy:ddd:hh:mm:ss.f}s $&$ TARGETCLOSESTAPPROACHTIME TARGETEXISTS[/B]

{0:;" ";""} R.Velocity R.Distance $&$ TARGETEXISTS
{2:;" ";""} X:{0:SIP_8.3}m/s X:{1:SIP_6.3}m $&$TGTRELX TARGETDISTANCEX TARGETEXISTS
{2:;" ";""} Y:{0:SIP_8.3}m/s Y:{1:SIP_6.3}m $&$TGTRELY TARGETDISTANCEY TARGETEXISTS
{2:;" ";""} Z:{0:SIP_8.3}m/s Z:{1:SIP_6.3}m $&$TGTRELZ TARGETDISTANCEZ TARGETEXISTS
SAS:{0,-6:"[#00ff00ff]Active[#ffffffff]";0;Off}| RCS:{1,-6:"[#00ff00ff]Active[#ffffffff]";0;Off}| {2:####.##;;"[#ff0000ff]!Empty!"}$&$ SAS RCS SYSR_MONOPROPELLANT

73cfDao

so data is showing up on the monitors just not the right data (I'm not 1m away from the target or 33 minutes out). I've been reading the page definition files on the dev manual but its a little beyond me. A little help would be appreciated :)

Edited by comandercom

so I've been messing around with the p3_target40x20.txt file

so data is showing up on the monitors just not the right data (I'm not 1m away from the target or 33 minutes out). I've been reading the page definition files on the dev manual but its a little beyond me. A little help would be appreciated :)

(the picture didn't show up for some reason)

If closest approach time is 33m, then the time of closest approach is 33 minutes away (which could be during the next orbit). At that time, your distance should be about 1 meter. You may get really close sooner, but it's not going to be the closest you'll get.

man... I had a hard time to make the HUD ladder behave a bit better, following the horizon line in a better way... It's not perfect but works... :P

Dude... This needs to become a thing...

(the picture didn't show up for some reason)

If closest approach time is 33m, then the time of closest approach is 33 minutes away (which could be during the next orbit). At that time, your distance should be about 1 meter. You may get really close sooner, but it's not going to be the closest you'll get.

the close approach distance on the map is about 273 km not one meter lol. I'm not sure what numbers rpm is pulling