[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

It's that time again... On DropBox, the latest dev build for v0.23.0. A couple of fixes: YAW/PITCH PROGRADE/RETROGRADE/etc variables now return better values. New variables for YAW and PITCH SURFPROGRADE / SURFRETROGRADE. New variable TARGETLAUNCHTIMESECS. PLUGIN_JSIMechJeb:GetLandingTime to get an estimate for time-to-landing (or time-to-impact, depending on your flying technique). I haven't fully documented them - I ran out of time, and I've got a business trip that'll keep me from doing much for the rest of the week.

So I have been tinkering today and I coded up a simple part menu toggle button for TransparentPods functionality. It has three settings: ON, OFF, AUTO. It defaults to ON, which means any part that has TransParentPod module will be transparent. If you toggle it to off, then you guessed it, it turns off transparentpod functionality for that part. and Auto will be off unless you set that part to be the "control from here" part or you hover the mouse over the part whereby it will turn transparentpod functionality on for that part. In testing with 5 parts all with transparentpod module assigned to them I got: 35FPS with them all set to ON. 52FPS with them all set to AUTO and 93FPS with them all set to off. Does anyone feel this would actually be a useful feature for TransparentPods?

So I have been tinkering today and I coded up a simple part menu toggle button for TransparentPods functionality. It has three settings: ON, OFF, AUTO. (snip) .Does anyone feel this would actually be a useful feature for TransparentPods?

Yes, please. It's available in the VAB and flight, correct?

I created an Issue on GitHub to do that, but I didn't have time to get to it before I had to travel this week. If you'd send a pull request, I'll get that integrated when I am back home for v0.23.0.

Yes, please. It's available in the VAB and flight, correct?

I created an Issue on GitHub to do that, but I didn't have time to get to it before I had to travel this week. If you'd send a pull request, I'll get that integrated when I am back home for v0.23.0.

Yes it works in the VAB/SPH and in flight. Description in the pull request.

https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/pull/369

The WIKI page will need to be updated. It's important to note that a part using JSITransparentPod should specify transparentTransforms field in the MODULE config so that when toggling JSITransparentPod OFF any window/transforms specified will be changed to opaque. If this is not specified for the part the internal will be turned off, but the window will remain transparent and you will see inside an empty part.

i'm accually curios why JSITransparentPod lowers FPS so much

i'm not good enough at rendering stuff, but given that it was made a while ago perhaps someone should review the code and se if theres a way to make it faster? i know pizzaoverhead is also working on a different style of seeing multiple IVAs, and he said his FPS wasnt dropping when i asked - though the 2 styles might be too different, dunno, as said just curious

Does anyone feel this would actually be a useful feature for TransparentPods?

i'll def use it

Edited by anxcon

i'm accually curios why JSITransparentPod lowers FPS so much

i'm not good enough at rendering stuff, but given that it was made a while ago perhaps someone should review the code and se if theres a way to make it faster? i know pizzaoverhead is also working on a different style of seeing multiple IVAs, and he said his FPS wasnt dropping when i asked - though the 2 styles might be too different, dunno, as said just curious

i'll def use it

It would be because Unity/KSP is rendering an external model and internal model at the same time... doing this for just one part usually isn't an issue.

But if you line up five of them like I was doing last week you notice a big difference. There is also this issue with Unity:

Props should not contain flat mesh colliders -- such objects when seen with a world-space camera cause Unity to spam error messages and cause a sharp drop in performance.

I would also guess the pizzaoverhead IVA mod you are referring to is actually for moving the IVA cameras around, not making them visible from external/flight view. Unless I have missed some new updates to that mod (highly likely).

I'm sorry if this has been reported before, and I have simply just missed it, but it seems that the IVA's with the HUD whether it be add on or stock cockpits, get a black box where it should be. All the screens are working fine, its just the HUD on the aircraft cockpits that have them. Any solutions?

I'm sorry if this has been reported before, and I have simply just missed it, but it seems that the IVA's with the HUD whether it be add on or stock cockpits, get a black box where it should be. All the screens are working fine, its just the HUD on the aircraft cockpits that have them. Any solutions?

Need more info: what version of RPM are you using? I've fixed that in the dev version of v0.23.0, but it is a known issue for some combinations of OS and video card in v0.22.2.

And again, here's an updated dev build. JPLRepo's controls for the JSITransparentPod are here, as are a few new variables. Probably a couple of other things. The change list is getting too long - I need to hurry up and make a release.

But for now, the dev build is updated on DropBox.

EDIT: The build has been updated (22 Sept, mid-day CDT) with a few more tweaks and a change courtesy ndevenish to make it easier for external mods to interact with RPM.

Edited by MOARdV
Another update

Good to see that this is still being maintained!

Now, MOARdV, about those requests I made a while back... :sticktongue:

Are you referring to the issues on github about the making other part's IVAs visible from inside a part? Transparent Pods?

I'm looking into it currently.

Also, the new dev build should help with your lag issue (can now turn off TransparentPods for each part via the right click menu)..

But you need to make sure you specify the transparentTransforms parm in the JSITransparenPods setup so that it makes your windows opaque when you switch off the transparency. Otherwise you get an view through the part window to an empty interior.

Separately though, I've picked up some discussions on a few other threads of lag/performance issues with TransParentPods.

In some testing I have discovered that Props cause lag with TranparentPods.. So I am looking into a potential change to JSITransparentPods to turn off Props (but not all of them, perhaps add a config file flag, as some props are large and the IVA from the outside may look silly if they are not there) when you are in flight view to try and deal with this lag issue as well.

Edited by JPLRepo

I plan on this being the last dev build prior to v0.23.0's official release. A couple of small fixes, plus one major new feature (the ability to adjust numbers in RPM, and load/set them in a plugin). The new feature is fairly limited, but I've wired everything so MechJeb spaceplane guidance (glideslope and heading/altitude for hold heading) can be adjusted from RPM, as can MechJeb Ascent Autopilot goal altitude (with the right props - not included). I'll set up more plumbing to allow more controls down the road, but this is sufficient for a proof-of-concept.

Yay ! Hurrah for RPM ! MOARdV, thank you for the great job !

I hope the improved performance of KSP 1.1 will allow even more application for RPM, as today, I can't really use all the screen as I would like for 100+ parts crafts.

It took a little longer than planned, but RasterPropMonitor v0.23.0 is now live on GitHub and KerbalStuff. This is a big update, with a lot of new features. It includes some performance improvements in the transparent pod module courtesy JPLRepo, and it includes some tweaks to make it easier to communicate with RPM from other plugins thanks to ndevenish, as well as an update to the MFD config to show the new config parameters for SCANsat v14.2 (thanks to DMagic).

There are also the first steps towards getting numeric input to function in IVA without immersion-breaking popup windows, although that's going to require some IVA makers to work on updates to their craft to demonstrate the new capabilities. There's now the ability to get a little bit of info from Kerbal Alarm Clock (the active vessel alarm count, and some info on the next alarm for the active vessel), and there's a new JSIRadar part module that can automatically target another vessel (or debris, if you want) to facilitate orbital rendezvous (or whatever other purpose you have for tracking vessels :) ).

It's probably easier to just point you at the release notes on GitHub or KerbalStuff. :)

Hey guys, I'm noticing an exception (well, an exception string) that is getting generated when I use the rover pod from ROverDudes Karibou Expedition Rover pack.

What happens is that if I have a craft with the rover pod or just the rover cabin itself and I exit the SPH/VAB by either method, it first gives this exception:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at JSI.JUtil.IsInIVA () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at JSI.JSITransparentPod.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

and then two of these:

at JSI.JSITransparentPod.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I've reproduced it with just the Karibou rover+dependencies, RPM, stock, and exception detector.

The easiest way to reproduce is:

1. Start a new KSP session (previously while I was looking at it, it generated a couple times and then stopped)

2. plop down the Karibou rover cab, nothing else is needed.

3. Exit the VAB/SPH by either method as it doesn't matter which one. Though launching seems to make it stop after that point.

Hey guys, I'm noticing an exception (well, an exception string) that is getting generated when I use the rover pod from ROverDudes Karibou Expedition Rover pack.

What happens is that if I have a craft with the rover pod or just the rover cabin itself and I exit the SPH/VAB by either method, it first gives this exception:

at JSI.JSITransparentPod.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

and then two of these:

at JSI.JSITransparentPod.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I've reproduced it with just the Karibou rover+dependencies, RPM, stock, and exception detector.

The easiest way to reproduce is:

1. Start a new KSP session (previously while I was looking at it, it generated a couple times and then stopped)

2. plop down the Karibou rover cab, nothing else is needed.

3. Exit the VAB/SPH by either method as it doesn't matter which one. Though launching seems to make it stop after that point.

Yes thanks. I picked this up as well. It's not causing an issue with the function of anything, just some log spam. It occurs only when in the editor or leaving the editor and you have a vessel with a JSITransparentPod loaded in the editor. I have a fix that I will get MOARdV to implement.

Edited by JPLRepo

Lots of bugfixes on new features, plus the JSITransparentPod fix by JPLRepo. A couple of new features and variables, and a fairly large change to the way RPM manages variables under the hood that may help CPU loading.

Available on DropBox.

Just wondering, (not a request), would it be possible to have one monitor show two camera outputs? As in split screen or picture in picture.

I've looked at that previously - it'd need to be a 4-up configuration (two by two grid), but it would also require a fair bit of changes under the hood to get it to work. I haven't had the motivation to tackle it, since I've been chasing other features.

Now available on GitHub and KerbalStuff. It was supposed to be only a bug fix release, but I slipped a few (too many) extra features in while I was at it. Go browse the release notes for more specifics. :)

I must be doing something wrong, because when I go into IVA the little screens are all just gray. How do I fix this?

This is almost always an indication that you've got a texture replacement mod (or texture compression mod) that is messing up the RPM installation, or an incorrect installation of RPM. Without further info, I can't provide more specifics.

Hey MOARdv, is it possible to add the JSITransparentPod module to the stock parts or do they not have the proper transforms to do this?

There are requirements for JSITransparentPod that mean a part has to be specifically designed to support it. Stock parts don't. If someone remodeled the stock parts with the windows properly designed, it'd be possible, but that's way out side the scope of what I can do.