[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

8 hours ago, Dazza23 said:

hi just wondering what im missing, i cant seem to be able to move the attached camera i can only zoom in or out? Is there more than one type of camera because i can only find one?

As @nukeboyt said, the default installation ships with no pan and tilt.  That's because I have no way of knowing where the cameras are mounted, what camera models are in use, and what limits are reasonable for your configuration.  You can change that in the config file GameData/JSI/RPMPodPatches/BasicMFD/MFD40x20.cfg by adding 'pitchLimits', 'pitchRate', 'yawLimits', and 'yawRate' as explained on the RPM wiki (as well as uncommenting the yaw and pitch button IDs).

As for additional cameras - you will need to check in other mods.  The ASET ALCOR has/had an external camera, and RPM includes patches for many / most of the HullCam VDS cameras.

On 23.6.2016 at 5:48 PM, blackrack said:

The depth buffer scatterer renders is for the main camera and so doesn't match additional viewpoints, there is also some trickery with the effect being applied to a box surrounding the camera which won't work from additional viewpoints. This is assuming you're in the atmosphere, in scaledspace all should work fine.

Fixing it for additional cameras is on my to-do list for the future.

Thanks alot for the reply and all the work, Hopefully you'll get this "fixed" soon!

9 hours ago, AlbertoKermov said:

I couldn't find much documentation on implementing a page with vessel viewer. I didn't see it in the Wiki, am I missing something?

I saw on github some implementations but documentation would be very, very helpful.

The Vessel View mod has a page dedicated to it in the MFD.  Take a look at JSI/RPMPodPatches/BasicMFD/MFD40x20.cfg, and search for "VesselView".  All of the functionality is controlled by that mod, so all RPM does is provide the page handler and background handler.

Or are you looking to implement a page for a different mod / different functionality?

7 hours ago, MOARdV said:

The Vessel View mod has a page dedicated to it in the MFD.  Take a look at JSI/RPMPodPatches/BasicMFD/MFD40x20.cfg, and search for "VesselView".  All of the functionality is controlled by that mod, so all RPM does is provide the page handler and background handler.

Or are you looking to implement a page for a different mod / different functionality?

I'll look into that. Thanks.

Nope, I just want to create a page definition for it. I just didn't see an example on the rasterpropmonitor wiki, was hoping there would be one just like the one for mechjeb, etc. 

I'm relatively busy this week, but the next I'd like to fork your repo and look into adding an action item menu. Just a normal menu with the 10 action groups, up/down navigation and "enter" to execute. Seems low in difficulty and ideal for introduction to your codebase. 

1st question: Guys do you know how to increase the camera's FOV (field of view)? Tried to modify the config file of the camera by adding:

cameraFoVMax = 140
    cameraFoVMin = 120

and it doesn't work. Is there another way to do this?

2nd question: is there possibility to add "grain effect" or distortion to the camera?

atv-5-docking@2x.jpg

This was used in a different mod "HullCameraVDS.V0.52" but it isn't updated anymore.

1 hour ago, strozyk85 said:

1st question: Guys do you know how to increase the camera's FOV (field of view)? Tried to modify the config file of the camera by adding:

cameraFoVMax = 140
    cameraFoVMin = 120

and it doesn't work. Is there another way to do this?

2nd question: is there possibility to add "grain effect" or distortion to the camera?

Camera FOV is controlled by the monitor page in the config file.  The HullCam VDS configs have no effect in RPM.  If you're using the included sample IVAs, the config file is in GameData/JSI/RPMPodPatches/BasicMFD/MFD40x20.cfg - search for 'extcamAll' (without quotes), and a few lines below is fovLimits = 20,5|20,5... - those are the min and max FOV per camera.

Gain and noise are both available in RPM currently, but the sample IVAs do not use it.  Upcoming versions of my Yarbrough IVA rebuild and alexustas' ALCOR and Mk1-2 IVA use the effect, but I'm waiting for the ASET Props update before I can release my IVA.

6 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Camera FOV is controlled by the monitor page in the config file.  The HullCam VDS configs have no effect in RPM.  If you're using the included sample IVAs, the config file is in GameData/JSI/RPMPodPatches/BasicMFD/MFD40x20.cfg - search for 'extcamAll' (without quotes), and a few lines below is fovLimits = 20,5|20,5... - those are the min and max FOV per camera.

Gain and noise are both available in RPM currently, but the sample IVAs do not use it.  Upcoming versions of my Yarbrough IVA rebuild and alexustas' ALCOR and Mk1-2 IVA use the effect, but I'm waiting for the ASET Props update before I can release my IVA.

I didn't see documentation regarding grain/distortion to the camera. Can you point me to it?

6 hours ago, AlbertoKermov said:

I didn't see documentation regarding grain/distortion to the camera. Can you point me to it?

https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/JSISteerableCamera#post-processing-effects

You will need to add some lines to the config, and if you want to control the gain/distortion, you'll need to configure a prop for that as well.

For instance, in my Yarbrough IVA, I added the following config entries to the JSISteerableCamera:

cameraEffectShader = RPM/Noise
	cameraEffectVariables = _Gain,MATH_MOARdV_GAIN_NOISE|_Blend,MATH_MOARdV_BLEND_NOISE|_NoiseOffset,RANDOM
	cameraEffectTextures = _Noise,ASET/ASET_Props/MFDs/ScreenPlates/noise

Note that the noise texture under cameraEffectTextures is not available in a public release yet, so you will need to come up with your own noise texture.  The camera effect variables are described in the link above.  In my configuration, setting the gain higher increases _Gain, making the image brighter, but it also decreases _Blend, which makes the image noisier.  The _NoiseOffset simply makes sure the noise effect moves around on screen, instead of staying in one place.

32 minutes ago, Commissar said:

having alot of throws from RPM...

log: https://mega.nz/#!I8ZUUJbR!J2JvKCTiSqlx9m7seU-RpOqRhQi2LY71Zr09aBy7nn0

Please remove the outdated DLLs from your installation.  I see a LOT of exceptions in that log, and the exception detector plugin should have brought those to your attention, too.  You have at least one mod that isn't updated for KSP 1.1.3 that is interfering with everyone else.

1 minute ago, MOARdV said:

Please remove the outdated DLLs from your installation.  I see a LOT of exceptions in that log, and the exception detector plugin should have brought those to your attention, too.  You have at least one mod that isn't updated for KSP 1.1.3 that is interfering with everyone else.

probably... i have like 89... not all are updated yet. liek b9. i use ckan, so most should be updated, if there are updates. uks and assorted are a littel weird. their updates don't push to ckan

13 hours ago, Commissar said:

probably... i have like 89... not all are updated yet. liek b9. i use ckan, so most should be updated, if there are updates. uks and assorted are a littel weird. their updates don't push to ckan

CKAN data is only as good as the people who submit it to CKAN, and there have been many mistakes made in the past, so you can not currently rely on CKAN having the right data.  Regardless, the problem is in an outdated mod or a botched installation of a mod due to bad CKAN data. You will need to eliminate those mods (specifically, those that have plugin DLLs) until you find the one that's causing the cascading failures.

Dear MoardV, can you answer please some questions on the mod ?

1. I remember the ext camera once had a white crosshair. Now i cannot find any way to enable the marker again.

The Github repository mentions some "R3 button" but there's no clear explanation what it is or where is located.

It is possible to enable a screen crosshair for a camera display now?

2. Why there's a hard limit of 8 cameras only?

Why not allowing a hundred or even a thousand of JSI cameras?

3. A camera view doesnt show the active camera number.

If there is a such option or a special keystroke to display the camera name?

Have also a little suggesstion for the mod.

Each time the craft is launched one needs to tune manually a lot of displays, ten in my case.

It's really annoying when you have multiple cameras.

Saving and restoring the cockpit settings into a profile would be really nice.

The cameras themselves can be named, not simply numbered. For example, a "right wing camera" sounds far more informative than "Cam-008".

@_Astra_

Answers (hopefully):

1: The cross hair for the multi-camera page is turned off, it looks like.  In MFD40x20.cfg, homeCrosshairColor is set to (0, 0, 0, 0), so it's invisible.  Change that to (255, 255, 255, 255) and it'll be a white crosshair.

2: There is no maximum if you make changes to the config files.  You can add 'maximum=100' or whatever value you like to the JSIExternalCameraSelector module in each external camera part to increase the limit in the VAB.  However, you will also have to edit MFD40x20.cfg to list all supportable cameras, which is tedious.

3: Yes, active camera id is no longer displayed.  It was for a while because of a hack I put in RPM, but that hack no longer works due to performance changes I've made.  If I can find a good way to add that ability back in, I will.  One way to change that is to edit MFD40x20.cfg so each camera has its own page, instead of a single page shared by all cameras.  That also allows you to place any text you like on the page, so you can show names for each camera.  However, it also means you have to manually cycle past each "missing" camera before you can reach the working cameras.  This is part of the reason there are only 8 cameras by default in RPM - each camera had its own page, and not many people installed more than a small number of cameras.

As for the suggested enhancements: Adding defaults for MFD displays is not likely.  The way pages are selected is complex, and there's no good way to provide a user interface that can record that information, especially since there's no user interface for RPM right now - I would have to add that, first.

Naming cameras is a good idea - NavyFish allows that with docking ports with DPAI, but displaying the name is a problem due to (3) above.  Very likely such capabilities will have to wait for an overhaul of the MFD code.

MoarDv, thank you.

I meant not defaulting any settings for a cockpit, but introducing a complete "save cockpit / load cockpit" functionality per craft.

The complexity of a such task is well understood.

First each display should provide a fully serializable data set - at the moment the code looks not very suitable for serialization.

I would also ask a simple question: where the camera view rendering is called?

Used cameras with both EVE and Scatterer and the picture looked weird if not crazy. With EVE clouds being on it simply turns black and white.

Have noticed also that antialiasing seems to be not working with the camera view. It's heavily laddered despite the 16xCSAA setting.

Cockpits are saved in flight, but there is not a mechanism to save a "snapshot" of the cockpit state that can be restored later to a different craft.  It was not a design consideration when the mod was originally designed - there are many elements of the monitor design that could be redesigned, but that is not a priority for me at the moment.

Camera rendering is done by the FlyingCamera class.  I use EVE, and I do not see any problems with rendering it here.  Scatterer is known not to work due to the way it does its processing (it is not compatible with RPM).

The images are not antialiased; neither do I generate mipmaps - the default monitor size is 640x640, but it is rarely drawn at full-scale in the IVA view.  Changing the monitor render texture dimensions would break several other mods that assume RPM monitors are always 640x640, so changes there will not be likely.

Scatterer is known not to work due to the way it does its processing (it is not compatible with RPM).

Oh, i didn't know that.

the default monitor size is 640x640, but it is rarely drawn at full-scale in the IVA view.

I am zooming IVA monitors to full HD ^_^

Changing the monitor render texture dimensions would break several other mods that assume RPM monitors are always 640x640, so changes there will not be likely.

I nearly dreamed of sending video to an external monitor.

If it is possible to render first a pair of full resolution layers (RenderTexture  + vector text markers), to make a composite and then to downscale a composite to a 640x640 copy ?

(the full res layers can be passed then to a callback for extra processing and data transmission)

2 hours ago, _Astra_ said:

I nearly dreamed of sending video to an external monitor.

If it is possible to render first a pair of full resolution layers (RenderTexture  + vector text markers), to make a composite and then to downscale a composite to a 640x640 copy ?

(the full res layers can be passed then to a callback for extra processing and data transmission)

Not right now.  In the future, it might be possible to generate a super-sample image and downscale it to monitor size.

I hate to bug you, but the hideKerbal function is not working correctly. If entering IVA for the first time it hides the head properly, but after exiting and re-entering it is visible again. Switching seats back-and-forth in multi-seat command pods fixes this until you leave again. Obviously this is not possible in single seat pods.

Edited by Mallikas

3 hours ago, Mallikas said:

I hate to bug you, but the hideKerbal function is not working correctly. If entering IVA for the first time it hides the head properly, but after exiting and re-entering it is visible again. Switching seats back-and-forth in multi-seat command pods fixes this until you leave again. Obviously this is not possible in single seat pods.

Arg.  Okay, that was a case I didn't test.  I'll add that to the bugfix queue.  Thanks for letting me know.

10 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Arg.  Okay, that was a case I didn't test.  I'll add that to the bugfix queue.  Thanks for letting me know.

Ok, Thank you for spending your time on these features :)

Ok, so I downloaded RPM and placed it into KSP's GameData folder, just like usual with every other mods, but it does not seem to work.  

Am I missing something, perhaps another addon to make RPM work? 

I've had RPM work before.  I stopped playing KSP for a while came back, deleted old mods, and replaced them with the newer versions.  Everything else seems to work but RPM.  =(

I keep seeing JSI pop up but I have no idea what that is.  

Edit:  I tried a few other things after reading the FAQ and even after all the files are under JSI i still cant get it to work.  I've also deleted the files so can someone tell me, simply, how to install this mod from the beginning.  Thanks in advance,

Edit2: RPM works.  After many hours of trying to figure out what was wrong, realized i was missing the ModuleManager.  

Edited by LnX