[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

On 7.7.2017 at 5:03 PM, MOARdV said:

Thank you for letting me know.  It looks like I to do something different for shader creation / bundling.  The Squad official process isn't working, or it's got some hidden steps somewhere.   *sigh*

Ok. Ping me if you need help testing new RPM betas on Linux.

FWIW, Texture Replacer Replaced and Vessel Viewer are also suffering from the same issue. The KSP 1.3 compile of the old Texture Replacer works fine, which supports the finding that something has changed in shader creation or bundling.

Please mod creator, please tell me if it would be possible to make this compatible with BdArmory and see info about how many missiles/ammo you have on your plane in the hud and see the radar and tracking pod imagery in the MFDs ?

33 minutes ago, SGT.Krieger said:

Please mod creator, please tell me if it would be possible to make this compatible with BdArmory and see info about how many missiles/ammo you have on your plane in the hud and see the radar and tracking pod imagery in the MFDs ?

It is possible to make a DLL that will do what you are asking.  However, I do not use BDArmory, so I am not interested in adding that capability and having to support it in RPM.  I am willing to provide hints and suggestions for someone else to do make such a DLL.

I have some trouble with the font rendering on Linux. See Screenshots below - I showed each screen in sequence

Album a/uBnVb will appear when post is submitted

There are also a lot monitor<date><somecode>.png files in the screenshots folder, probably implicating RPM realizes it has a problem. How do I get at the logs to post those too?

Edited by drdeath

37 minutes ago, drdeath said:

I have some trouble with the font rendering on Linux. See Screenshots below - I showed each screen in sequence

Album a/uBnVb will appear when post is submitted

There are also a lot monitor<date><somecode>.png files in the screenshots folder, probably implicating RPM realizes it has a problem. How do I get at the logs to post those too?

Font rendering in Linux is a known issue i am trying to find a solution for, unfortunately.  The monitor images in the screenshots folder are a feature of RPM where monitor contents are saved with the screenshot - it will do that regardless of whether a problem is present, unless you edit the monitor config file to switch it off.

1 minute ago, MOARdV said:

Font rendering in Linux is a known issue i am trying to find a solution for, unfortunately.

That doesn't sound good at all...

2 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

The monitor images in the screenshots folder are a feature of RPM where monitor contents are saved with the screenshot

Didn't see that before. Great idea though! Thanks!

There is a test build on DropBox.  This is not a formal beta, but a test release to see if the new shader management system works for Linux and OSX (I've tested it locally for Windows default and -force-glcore).  I would like feedback from Linux and OSX players: do the monitors still show pink blocks instead of text?  Or are they working?  Are there any other unexpected pink blocks?  If this finally solves the shader problem for Linux, and it doesn't break OSX, I will have an official release later this week, once I have a chance to tidy up the code changes I made.

1 hour ago, infinax said:

whenever I start my game I get a message that the rpm.dll  is in the wrong location but I checked and it's in the correct one and because of this the mod doesn't work any suggestionsB796621C70CE37D04627C6B6BB592D839A789FCB

Whelp, hard to say. Without a picture of your gamedata folder, I still think it may be an install issue. That error is pretty clear that the .dll is in the wrong spot.  Could you just have a duplicate .dll?

18 hours ago, MOARdV said:

There is a test build on DropBox.  This is not a formal beta, but a test release to see if the new shader management system works for Linux and OSX (I've tested it locally for Windows default and -force-glcore).  I would like feedback from Linux and OSX players: do the monitors still show pink blocks instead of text?  Or are they working?  Are there any other unexpected pink blocks?  If this finally solves the shader problem for Linux, and it doesn't break OSX, I will have an official release later this week, once I have a chance to tidy up the code changes I made.

Hey MOARdV!

I had the purple-block-thingie-bug on ubuntu 16, tried this test build and it resolved the issue. Thanks a lot man!

4 hours ago, isoPhotek said:

Hey MOARdV!

I had the purple-block-thingie-bug on ubuntu 16, tried this test build and it resolved the issue. Thanks a lot man!

Glad to hear that, and welcome to the forum!

If a Mac player can give me the green light (hint, hint :) ), I'll kick the official release out.

I will remove RPM (and ASET) for now, getting too much of

Exception handling event onVesselWasModified in class RPMVesselComputer:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at JSI.RPMVesselComputer.onVesselWasModified (.Vessel who) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at JSI.RPMVesselComputer.onVesselWasModified (.Vessel who) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleRTAntenna:AddTransmitter()
RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleRTAntenna:SetState(Boolean)
RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleRTAntenna:OnStart(StartState)
Part:ModulesOnStart()
<Start>c__Iterator3A:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei6y6xdxjbn1dh9/2017-07-11-2 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

Edited by Gordon Dry

9 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I will remove RPM (and ASET) for now, getting too much of

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei6y6xdxjbn1dh9/2017-07-11-2 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

I looked at the log.  You have a lot of mods, and a lot of exceptions and errors in that log that have nothing to do with RPM.  I suspect you have at least one mod that is not 1.2 compatible in there, or it does not play well with others, and it is the problem.  However, I'm not installing every mod you use to try to find it.  I'd recommend you set up a second installation of KSP, and start removing mods to figure out what the minimal combination is that reproduces the errors you're seeing.

On 7/10/2017 at 9:52 AM, MOARdV said:

Awesome, the shaders are working with this test build on Arch Linux with Nvidia driver.

On 10.7.2017 at 3:52 PM, MOARdV said:

I would like feedback from Linux and OSX players: do the monitors still show pink blocks instead of text?  Or are they working?  Are there any other unexpected pink blocks?

I can confirm that on Ubuntu with Nvidia proprietary drivers, no pink blocks and everything looks fine. All monitor pages seem to work as expected as far as I can tell.

Thanks to the Linux people who provided feedback.  I'm still hoping to hear from a Mac player before I stamp an official release: does the test build on DropBox work (no pink blocks on monitors, that sort of thing)?

On 7/16/2017 at 1:46 AM, MOARdV said:

Thanks to the Linux people who provided feedback.  I'm still hoping to hear from a Mac player before I stamp an official release: does the test build on DropBox work (no pink blocks on monitors, that sort of thing)?

I would like to confirm that I have not found any issues (pink blocks or anything else) while using RPM on a Mac. I have actually not had any issues using the last couple of versions of RPM :)!  Thanks @MOARdV!

13 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

New release looks great, and helped me finally catch a localization bug.

Astrogator includes an RPM page. Any chance of listing it under "Add-ons for RasterPropMonitor" or "Projects using RasterPropMonitor"?

Okay.  I added it.  Now I need to go check it out. :)

Got a problem with this cool mod. Green speed/altitude/heading HUD (it is similar to navball, double click on button "ATT") is a bit laggy on big crafts. The prograde node is updating real time, but all other information on it is updating about 2-3 times per second. The green level-cross is updating very strange, from 3 to 1 time per second

Edited by LynxOfTheSky

19 hours ago, LynxOfTheSky said:

Got a problem with this cool mod. Green speed/altitude/heading HUD (it is similar to navball, double click on button "ATT") is a bit laggy on big crafts. The prograde node is updating real time, but all other information on it is updating about 2-3 times per second. The green level-cross is updating very strange, from 3 to 1 time per second

RPM has some functionality in it to reduce its CPU load, because early on, a lot of people accused it of being "laggy".  However, the changes that were made reduce the frequency that complex data is computed, and the frequency that the text on MFDs are updated which ... makes it feel laggy.

In your installation's GameData, find JSI/RPMPodPatches/BasicMFD/MFD40x20.cfg .  Open that file with a text editor, and look around line 40 for 'refreshTextRate' and 'refreshDataRate'.  Make the numbers next to those lines smaller: The text rate is 10, which means text on the MFD may only update every 10 frames (6x per second with common refresh rates).  The data rate is 20, which means 3x per second.  If you're running on a mid-range PC, you might set those both at 3 and see how that affects things.  You're welcome to change those numbers all the way to 1, which would potentially allow "real time" updates.  RPM isn't ideal in the way it does a few things (it still generates plenty of temporary allocations that trigger garbage collections), so it may still have some lag, depending on the rest of your mods.

Quote: 

Can you add support for (insert favorite mod's name here)?

Probably not. Most of the mods that RPM interacts with are mods I (MOARdV) use when playing. As such, making sure RPM still works when those mods change is not a big deal. There are a couple of mods that I don't use that are in the list, and keeping RPM playing nice with them is already more effort than I can justify.

RPM provides a mechanism for plugin mod makers to add support to RPM. It is already in use with Docking Port Alignment, SCANsat, Ferram Aerospace Research, and others. This would be the best way for RPM to support other mods - go ask your mod maker about adding an optional RPM plugin. I am willing to provide advice and assistance with it, but I won't write 

MOARdV,do you use BD Armory? I would love to see RPM being compatible with it...

example for inspiration: 

Image result for mfd F16Image result for mfd F16