[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

MixmsmH.png

//  This is a module manager configuration file for Kerbal Space Program 
//  It adds 2 Raster Prop Monitor Computer displays to MEM lander pod IVA 
//  To Use: copy and paste this text into a a text editor (Notepad will work)
//  Press Save, and then RENAME the file to RPMpatchMEM.cfg
//  Place the RPMpatchMEM.cfg file somewhere in your KSP/Gamedata folder
//  REQUIRES: Rasterprop monitor, "Making History" DLC, Module Manager
//   3-25-2019 CC0 - Full text @ http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ 
//  Enjoy -MrChumley
@PART[*]:HAS[@INTERNAL[MEM_IVA]]:AFTER[SquadExpansion]:NEEDS[SquadExpansion]
{
	MODULE 
	{
		name = RasterPropMonitorComputer
	}
}
@INTERNAL[MEM_IVA] 
{
	PROP
	{
		name = RasterPropMonitorBasicMFD
		position = -0.28,0.6913,-0.777
		rotation = 0,0.98715578,-0.9961947,0
		scale = 0.35,0.35,0.35
	}
	PROP
	{
		position = 0.28,0.6913,-0.77665
		scale = 0.35,0.35,0.35
	}
}

Here take this. 

On 3/22/2019 at 12:14 PM, BenjaminVonBraun said:

Hi, I am desiging a full scale simulator for kerbal space program based on the cockpit from the MK1-2 capsule with RPM and I am wondering how I could make the LCD’s work in real life, you codes virtual buttons to operate a virtual screen, how can I code the virtual buttons to work with real world inputs and mirror the screens from the displays in the cockpit to real world screens? I can send you some sketches I drawed really quick to show you what I am trying to build. If by any chance I’ve triggered your interest, could you help me with this project?

Kind regards from Belgium.

There is a mod for that, or rather, a program connecting to kRPC which still is known to work with 1.6.1. Needs an external computer and Krewmember has dropped of the planet, but it could be a place to start.

8 hours ago, MrChumley said:

MixmsmH.png

//  This is a module manager configuration file for Kerbal Space Program 
//  It adds 2 Raster Prop Monitor Computer displays to MEM lander pod IVA 
//  To Use: copy and paste this text into a a text editor (Notepad will work)
//  Press Save, and then RENAME the file to RPMpatchMEM.cfg
//  Place the RPMpatchMEM.cfg file somewhere in your KSP/Gamedata folder
//  REQUIRES: Rasterprop monitor, "Making History" DLC, Module Manager
//   3-25-2019 CC0 - Full text @ http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ 
//  Enjoy -MrChumley
@PART[*]:HAS[@INTERNAL[MEM_IVA]]:AFTER[SquadExpansion]:NEEDS[SquadExpansion]
{
	MODULE 
	{
		name = RasterPropMonitorComputer
	}
}
@INTERNAL[MEM_IVA] 
{
	PROP
	{
		position = -0.28,0.6913,-0.777
		scale = 0.35,0.35,0.35
	}
	PROP
	{
		position = 0.28,0.6913,-0.77665
		scale = 0.35,0.35,0.35
	}
}

Here take this. 

Thank you! Could I be able to control the side buttons on the virtual MFD with for example the buttons on a Thrustmaster Cougar MFD? And mirror the display with the code above on a smaller display where I mount the Thrustmaster MFD on.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Grem said:

It is a pity that the development stopped: (
I will really miss this modification.

The platform is being deprecated and a new one is being developed in its place: 

Please tell me, and have similar modifications that replace all existing stock cabin? RPM was so beautiful that he had all the cabins at once. For mods like: SCANSAT, HullcamVDS, functional cabins with monitors are just needed.

I finally realized why the JSI External Camera wasn't showing up in 1.7. Its model relies on the place-anywhere linear RCS stock Squad part, which has been revamped in 1.7 and among other things is contained in a different folder. So no JSI Cam in 1.7 :'(

UPDATE: I have callously copied the old GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility\linearRCS part folder from a 1.6 installation into my 1.7 installation and the JSI Cam has shown up again! Yay!

Edited by nwillard

56 minutes ago, nwillard said:

UPDATE: I have callously copied the old GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility\linearRCS part folder from a 1.6 installation into my 1.7 installation and the JSI Cam has shown up again! Yay!

better fix:
in a standard text editor, open the external-camera.cfg file... (found here JSI\RasterPropMonitor\Library\Parts\ExternalCameraPart\ ...)
Look for this line in the MODEL{ }:
model = Squad/Parts/Utility/linearRCS/model

replace it with this:
model = Squad/Parts/Utility/linearVernorRCS/Assets/linearRCS

Save the .cfg...
Profit :)

I'll add an Issue with this fix, on the repo for RPM for posterity's sake.

Edited by Stone Blue

On 5/8/2019 at 12:50 AM, nwillard said:

I finally realized why the JSI External Camera wasn't showing up in 1.7. Its model relies on the place-anywhere linear RCS stock Squad part, which has been revamped in 1.7 and among other things is contained in a different folder. So no JSI Cam in 1.7 :'(

On 5/8/2019 at 1:35 AM, Stone Blue said:

better fix:
in a standard text editor, open the external-camera.cfg file... (found here JSI\RasterPropMonitor\Library\Parts\ExternalCameraPart\ ...)
Look for this line in the MODEL{ }:

replace it with this:
model = Squad/Parts/Utility/linearVernorRCS/Assets/linearRCS

Save the .cfg...
Profit :)

I'll add an Issue with this fix, on the repo for RPM for posterity's sake.

Instead of copying the deprecated part or editing the config file directly, may I suggest creating a Module Manager patch in a separate directory under GameData. That way, even if you need to reinstall or update RPM, your changes are preserved. Since RPM requires Module Manager anyway, no additional dependencies are created.

It's as simple as putting

@PART[JSIPrimitiveExternalCamera]:AFTER[RasterPropMonitor]{
  @MODEL{
    @model = Squad/Parts/Utility/linearVernorRCS/Assets/linearRCS
  }
  %bulkheadProfiles = srf
}

into a text file ending with .cfg; for example, I use ./GameData/Corax/ModuleManager_RPM.cfg for – you guessed it – RPM related patches.

The patch updates the model, just as @Stone Blue suggested; 'bulkheadProfiles' fixes part sorting in the SPH/VAB extended panel.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but it seems that the airspeed indicator in the HUD uses some imaginary unit. I can't find any existing speed unit that would show the same results.

For instance, I can be going at an actual speed of 330m/s, but the airspeed indicator shows 169. The altimeter is right, but I can never rely on the HUD for an accurate airspeed reading.

8 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but it seems that the airspeed indicator in the HUD uses some imaginary unit. I can't find any existing speed unit that would show the same results.

For instance, I can be going at an actual speed of 330m/s, but the airspeed indicator shows 169. The altimeter is right, but I can never rely on the HUD for an accurate airspeed reading.

The "imaginary unit" is Equivalent Airspeed - the altitude at sea level that causes the same dynamic pressure as the current true airspeed and altitude.  Wikipedia has a couple of examples for why you'd care about it (stall prediction being one reason).

On 5/15/2019 at 7:10 AM, MOARdV said:

The "imaginary unit" is Equivalent Airspeed - the altitude at sea level that causes the same dynamic pressure as the current true airspeed and altitude.  Wikipedia has a couple of examples for why you'd care about it (stall prediction being one reason).

Ah, would have thought that you'd give true airspeed. My bad, didn't think that it was possible to give equivalent airspeed in KSP, and I couldn't think of anything else it could be but some weird unit.

Though, is there any way that I could switch it to true airspeed?

11 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

Though, is there any way that I could switch it to true airspeed?

You would need to edit the prop's config file - the file is in GameData/ASET/ASET_Avionics/ModernPack/ASET_HUD/ASET_HUD.cfg

Search for "EASPEED" in that file, you should see

labelText = <color=#3cff60>  <=0:000=>$&$EASPEED

Change EASPEED to SURFSPEED, and you'll have surface speed in m/s.  There isn't a separate true airspeed, since the airmass on Kerbin has no velocity relative to the surface.  Other speed options are at the RPM wiki here.

• 1 month later...

If anyone could help me with this I'd be very grateful.

Been trying for hours to get RPM to work with no luck. So far, my folder looks like this: 

Gamedata> JSI > [Agencies] [RastorPropMonitor] [RPMPodPatches]

I also have the ModuleManager.4.0.2.dll under gamedata as well.

I'm running KSP 1.6.1.2401 so it SHOULD all be working fine, but none of my command pods have the RPM screens.

The RPM version I've got in .0.30.6

Any suggestions? I'm getting no black RPM screens in IVA.

EDIT: I found out that I have the intractable screens in  the mark 1 cockpit (the really pointy one) and the Cupola. I think this is due to the updated IVAs of all the others. Is there any more recently updated version that adds the RPM screens to the new IVAs?

Edited by Chris Bolland

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2019 at 1:56 PM, MOARdV said:

Other speed options are at the RPM wiki here.

Thanks for the link. Now I have an instrument I newer knew I needed: a crashvariometer (or crash speed indicator or CSI). Really useful for landing a plane uphill or lithobraking into a crater wall. It displays RADARALTVERTSPEED, and allows the plane to fly parallel to the surface that isn't parallel to anything.

I know that the development has stopped, but does anyone have an idea of the size of the collision boxes of the small rectangular buttons around the screens?

In this mod I've noticed two sizes of screens :

• The larger ones (that most IVAs have only once or twice, for special stuff like landing mode),
  • and the smaller ones (that most IVAs cram everywhere possible in the cockpit).

I've noticed that in VR it's much harder to click on the rectangular buttons around the smaller model of screens, even though those buttons meshes have ore or less the same size as the buttons of the larger model of screen. With the smaller screens you always end up clicking three buttons simultaneously.

I'm wondering why. I'm suspecting the size of some sort of collision box for each button. Would that make sense? Has anyone ever had a look into the buttons meshes used by this mod? Note: I'm working almost exclusively with the RasterPropMonitors that are in the ALCOR landing can, if that's of any use.

Edited by jeancallisti

22 hours ago, jeancallisti said:

I'm wondering why. I'm suspecting the size of some sort of collision box for each button. Would that make sense? Has anyone ever had a look into the buttons meshes used by this mod? Note: I'm working almost exclusively with the RasterPropMonitors that are in the ALCOR landing can, if that's of any use.

The colliders for the MFD buttons are the size of the button. You can check this by loading the prop or IVA in Unity - the colliders are drawn as a green wire frame.  It's possible that the VR "press area" is large enough to hit multiple colliders, but I haven't worked with VR in a game environment myself.

On 9/7/2019 at 12:04 PM, Schmonzo said:

Has anyone got this working in current ksp or is working on continuing this mod? 

The only problem with 1.7.3 is a missing RCS port model. There are three ways to fix this described on this page.

On 8/31/2019 at 2:12 PM, MOARdV said:

The colliders for the MFD buttons are the size of the button. You can check this by loading the prop or IVA in Unity - the colliders are drawn as a green wire frame.  It's possible that the VR "press area" is large enough to hit multiple colliders, but I haven't worked with VR in a game environment myself.

Thanks. I'm currently trying to tweak the VR mod to reduce the size of the collision box at the fingertip.

I'm trying to get back into playing KSP after being gone for a LONG time.   I made the mistake of letting my steam KSP update without first backing it up.   Now I'm struggling to get my mods correctly working.    The problem of the moment, is that I am trying to load a craft and it won't load because it cannot find the part "JSIPrimitiveExternalCamera".   I have checked, and I DO have the part "ExternalCameraPart" 

Spoiler

PART
{
    // --- general parameters ---
    name = JSIPrimitiveExternalCamera
    module = Part
    author = C. Jenkins / Mihara

// --- asset parameters ---
    MODEL
    {
        texture = rcs,JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Library/Parts/ExternalCameraPart/model000
        scale = 0.4,0.8,0.4
    }

// --- node definitions ---
    // definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
    node_attach = 0.0, -0.06, 0.0, 0.0, -1, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
    TechRequired = basicScience
    entryCost = 4200
    cost = 400
    category = Utility
    subcategory = 0
    title = JSI External Radial-mount Camera 
    manufacturer = Junk Systems Inc.
    description = Customers who like multi-function displays with JSI software keep looking around for simple external camera options. This is a most primitive camera, but it works fine when you don't have a better one. No, it's not just an RCS thruster with lens painted on, we have standards here!

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
    mass = 0.004
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.05
    minimum_drag = 0.05
    angularDrag = 1
    crashTolerance = 8
    maxTemp = 1200

MODULE
    {
        name = JSIExternalCameraSelector
        cameraContainer = RCSthruster
        rotateCamera = -90,0,0
        cameraIDPrefix = ExtCam
    }

}

Can someone help me make sense of this?  Thanks

16 minutes ago, nukeboyt said:

I'm trying to get back into playing KSP after being gone for a LONG time.   I made the mistake of letting my steam KSP update without first backing it up.   Now I'm struggling to get my mods correctly working.    The problem of the moment, is that I am trying to load a craft and it won't load because it cannot find the part "JSIPrimitiveExternalCamera".   I have checked, and I DO have the part "ExternalCameraPart" 

Reveal hidden contents

PART
{
    // --- general parameters ---
    name = JSIPrimitiveExternalCamera
    module = Part
    author = C. Jenkins / Mihara

// --- asset parameters ---
    MODEL
    {
        texture = rcs,JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Library/Parts/ExternalCameraPart/model000
        scale = 0.4,0.8,0.4
    }

// --- node definitions ---
    // definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
    node_attach = 0.0, -0.06, 0.0, 0.0, -1, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
    TechRequired = basicScience
    entryCost = 4200
    cost = 400
    category = Utility
    subcategory = 0
    title = JSI External Radial-mount Camera 
    manufacturer = Junk Systems Inc.
    description = Customers who like multi-function displays with JSI software keep looking around for simple external camera options. This is a most primitive camera, but it works fine when you don't have a better one. No, it's not just an RCS thruster with lens painted on, we have standards here!

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
    mass = 0.004
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.05
    minimum_drag = 0.05
    angularDrag = 1
    crashTolerance = 8
    maxTemp = 1200

MODULE
    {
        name = JSIExternalCameraSelector
        cameraContainer = RCSthruster
        rotateCamera = -90,0,0
        cameraIDPrefix = ExtCam
    }

}

Can someone help me make sense of this?  Thanks

There's a fix a few posts above you (the model directory changed a few version ago which meant RPM was trying to load something in a folder that didn't exist):

On 5/13/2019 at 6:54 AM, Corax said:

Instead of copying the deprecated part or editing the config file directly, may I suggest creating a Module Manager patch in a separate directory under GameData. That way, even if you need to reinstall or update RPM, your changes are preserved. Since RPM requires Module Manager anyway, no additional dependencies are created.

It's as simple as putting

@PART[JSIPrimitiveExternalCamera]:AFTER[RasterPropMonitor]{
  @MODEL{
    @model = Squad/Parts/Utility/linearVernorRCS/Assets/linearRCS
  }
  %bulkheadProfiles = srf
}

into a text file ending with .cfg; for example, I use ./GameData/Corax/ModuleManager_RPM.cfg for – you guessed it – RPM related patches.

The patch updates the model, just as @Stone Blue suggested; 'bulkheadProfiles' fixes part sorting in the SPH/VAB extended panel.

Edited by BudgetHedgehog