[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

I update my game from 1.6.1 to 1.7.3 and I also update all my mod to the newest version. However, when I log in to the game, it shows that I missing the "JSIPrimitiveExternalCamera" and"KSPiNuclearJetEngine",which killed 4 space station, 7 kinds of rocket and 21kinds of plane....(two years' blood). The interest thing is that I finally find the.cfg file in the mod folders, however it still not works when I secondly try to log in the game. Who can help me? or give me some hint. I love the version 1.7.3, but if it cannot works, my only choose is to return 1.6.1

On 9/16/2019 at 1:35 PM, Stone Blue said:

@Aaron11 this post two pages back, should help fix the JSI/RPM camera problem... idk know about your other KSPI part problem... maybe its a similar/same issue? vOv

Yes, There are same problem...the nucleartubo jet engine has change the name to ......OX, which let the program can not find the name of the part...Anyway, Thx a lot

• 1 month later...

@MOARdV - definitely not the right forum for this, but what module owns GameData/moarDV/* ?  I can't find a reference to this path anywhere I've looked in CKAN, but whatever module it is, is causing me some grief and I'd like to know which modules use that path so I can figure out what the hell I'm even asking for help with :)  I figured you might know... ;)

Sorry, I dont know what your asking, other than the most likely *mod* that you are looking for that is in /MOARdV, is this: (and this is the thread it would be best to reply to...)

It sounds like maybe you have an IVA mod installed that references MAS, but you dont *have* MAS installed? vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nwillard said:

Rest in Peace RasterPropMonitor, we had some good times.

It's been available for adoption for quite some time, but no one has stepped forward.  My follow-on mod, MAS, received some notice, but not much.  There are other creative projects that I'd like to dedicate my free time towards.  It's a question of whether I spend my free time modifying someone else's creative works or working on my own.

11 hours ago, nwillard said:

Rest in Peace RasterPropMonitor, we had some good times.

Is it totally messed up in 1.8? Did not update yet, waiting for KSPWheel and BDArmory updates without them all my saves will be FUBAR

On 11/6/2019 at 5:57 PM, MOARdV said:

It's been available for adoption for quite some time, but no one has stepped forward.  My follow-on mod, MAS, received some notice, but not much.  There are other creative projects that I'd like to dedicate my free time towards.  It's a question of whether I spend my free time modifying someone else's creative works or working on my own.

In fact i would like to use more MAS, but there are not many IVA's for all stock command modules unfortunately ;.; so we depend on RPM yet.

Edited by marioq70

By all means, I think there is quite a large portion of the playerbase gasping for more IVA options.
My full first-person KSP career is still one of my favorite gaming experiences to date in large part thanks to RPM and  ALCOR.

If MAS would be more fleshed out it would probably suck in a bunch of people waiting for it.
I fully understand free time management, priorities and the difficulties of implementing the system..but I don't think you need to worry about it not being something many people would like.:)

On 11/7/2019 at 5:42 AM, Manul said:

Is it totally messed up in 1.8? Did not update yet, waiting for KSPWheel and BDArmory updates without them all my saves will be FUBAR

It's not specifically that RPM is messed up in 1.8, it is that the RPM dependent IVA's that many users use need to be upgraded for 1.8 and RPM.

I believe MOARdV has done an admirable job striving to create a replacement for RPM, the issue is that IVA dev's need to take it an run with it to give the general modding IVA user base what it has been craving  :)

[Sits patiently looking out thru the MK1-3 window, sometimes covered up, sometimes not, with reversed and flipped ASET navball displays ...]  hehehe ....

Edited by RW-1

I've had some free time this weekend so I tried to update RasterPropMonitor to KSP 1.8.1.

Fixed a whole lot of issues while I was at it :

- KSP 1.8.1 recompile
- ExternalCamera legacy shader fix
- ReStock compatibility
- CockpitHandle DXT3 texture conversion
- Flipped textures on the MFDs
- Flipped ExternalCamera view

You can find my patch here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/yw1tmiwtxls4cqd/JSI-ksp181-fixes.zip?dl=1 Just drop it on top of your RasterPropMonitor install in GameData !

And the source code here. I haven't managed to get Git working yet, so no diff for the moment.

If you use ASET Props you'll have to add this patch to correct the flipped MFDs [warning : this breaks MAS and requires you to reinstall ASET Props when RPM will be fixed]

Some issues remain : the externalCamera renderer and the Graph renderer are flipped on the multifunction displays. I've compensated the camera issue by adding a transform in the external-camera.cfg part file, but the issue remains if camera parts from other mods are used.

I'm not really a programmer so changing the render code is a bit beyond my capacities.

This is a great mod so I hope we can keep it alive a bit longer while we wait on KSP2 !

Edited by Tegmil
aset props warning

1 hour ago, Tegmil said:

Fixed a whole lot of issues while I was at it :

I appreciate the effort.  However, the code in RPM should be fixed correctly.  You noted that the external camera renderer and the graph renderer are still wrong.  They're upside down for the same reason the MFD textures appear upside down.

I would strongly recommend that you don't replace ASET textures - they'll be upside down when RPM is fixed, but, more importantly, those textures aren't part of the RPM distribution. Whoever puts in the effort to fix the RPM code is going to have to deal with people who report bugs because they had replaced ASET textures with upside-down textures.  It would be far better to use a Module Manager patch to update the props to use different textures so that you're not overwriting assets outside of the RPM folder.

1 hour ago, Tegmil said:

I'm not really a programmer so changing the render code is a bit beyond my capacities.

Unfortunately, the render code is where the problem is.  I had to make changes last May (11 May 2018 to 23 May 2018, per GitHub) to deal with the previous y-flip problem.  The new Unity update probably made some or all of those work-arounds irrelevant.

3 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I appreciate the effort.  However, the code in RPM should be fixed correctly.  You noted that the external camera renderer and the graph renderer are still wrong.  They're upside down for the same reason the MFD textures appear upside down.

I would strongly recommend that you don't replace ASET textures - they'll be upside down when RPM is fixed, but, more importantly, those textures aren't part of the RPM distribution. Whoever puts in the effort to fix the RPM code is going to have to deal with people who report bugs because they had replaced ASET textures with upside-down textures.  It would be far better to use a Module Manager patch to update the props to use different textures so that you're not overwriting assets outside of the RPM folder.

Unfortunately, the render code is where the problem is.  I had to make changes last May (11 May 2018 to 23 May 2018, per GitHub) to deal with the previous y-flip problem.  The new Unity update probably made some or all of those work-arounds irrelevant.

Is there any valid reason that Unity needs to invert (or use the opposite of) the coordinate system for rendering vice what DX and open GL use (If I understand this right) causing the flipped and mirrored issues we have had ongoing with updates?

1 hour ago, RW-1 said:

Is there any valid reason that Unity needs to invert (or use the opposite of) the coordinate system for rendering vice what DX and open GL use (If I understand this right) causing the flipped and mirrored issues we have had ongoing with updates?

I know that OpenGL uses a right-handed coordinate system, and DX9-DX11 (and maybe DX12, I don't recall) uses left-handed coordinate systems.  Beyond that, I don't know what Unity is doing (the only experience I have with it is modding KSP - I use other engines for my day job).  One weakness in RPM is that it does a lot of things using Unity functions that are closer to API level, instead of higher-level entities, so it is more likely to be affected by rendering API changes.  That's one of the reasons I started over with MAS - it was much, much easier to design it from the ground up than it was to try to shoehorn the changes into RPM.

Disabling the DirectX y-flip workaround you noted here has indeed fixed the rendering !

So here you have a new patch : https://www.dropbox.com/s/jycdhbwzxkqcpyj/JSI-ksp181-fixes-2.zip?dl=1

Source package here.

- KSP 1.8.1 recompile
- ExternalCamera part updated
- ReStock compatibility
- Dx11 MFD and navball flipping fixed (for real this time)

If you downloaded my previous patches you should reinstall RasterPropMonitor 30.6 and ASET Props 1.5.0 before applying this last patch, or you could have texture flipping.

I've tested it on KSP 1.8.1 with and without ASET, in both DirectX and OpenGl mode. The text rendering seems somewhat broken with ASET in OpenGl mode, but the MFDs work perfectly.

13 minutes ago, CSA said:

I have installed this patch and avionicsSystems and SAS does not work properly if I use joystick. I don't know what the problem is and if it happens to someone else.

I'm always getting problems with SAS when my joystick isn't perfectly centered due to mechanical wear. An old one with resistors used to mess up with SAS all the time putting a vessel into uncontrollable spin, a new joystick with magnetic sensors doesn't do this but sometimes confuses SAS by being slightly offcentered on one axis

On 11/6/2019 at 5:57 PM, MOARdV said:

I think MAS has more future potential, but RPM has the name recognition.  If we could, some how, get IVA makers on board with MAS, I think that would be the way to go.  I feel like we're currently caught between pancakes and waffles and no one's willing to make the jump either way.

20 hours ago, Manul said:

I'm always getting problems with SAS when my joystick isn't perfectly centered due to mechanical wear. An old one with resistors used to mess up with SAS all the time putting a vessel into uncontrollable spin, a new joystick with magnetic sensors doesn't do this but sometimes confuses SAS by being slightly offcentered on one axis

Can you recommend any brand and model of joystick?

Edited by CSA

On 11/13/2019 at 1:38 AM, Tegmil said:

Disabling the DirectX y-flip workaround you noted here has indeed fixed the rendering !

So here you have a new patch : https://www.dropbox.com/s/jycdhbwzxkqcpyj/JSI-ksp181-fixes-2.zip?dl=1

Source package here.

- KSP 1.8.1 recompile
- ExternalCamera part updated
- ReStock compatibility
- Dx11 MFD and navball flipping fixed (for real this time)

If you downloaded my previous patches you should reinstall RasterPropMonitor 30.6 and ASET Props 1.5.0 before applying this last patch, or you could have texture flipping.

I've tested it on KSP 1.8.1 with and without ASET, in both DirectX and OpenGl mode. The text rendering seems somewhat broken with ASET in OpenGl mode, but the MFDs work perfectly.

Thank you. You have just saved the day for all IVA pilots

On 11/14/2019 at 8:49 PM, CSA said:

Can you recommend any brand and model of joystick?

I'm currently using Defender Cobra M5 but I can not recommend anyone to use this monstrosity since it requires tons of upgrade parts from VKB-sim and these parts are not produced or sold anymore. I have future plans to use EJoy32 controller to join joystick and my custom built ECS (including RCS stick) into a single USB device and also add MOAR buttons, lights and adjustment knobs

On 11/8/2019 at 3:09 AM, Artfact said:

By all means, I think there is quite a large portion of the playerbase gasping for more IVA options.
My full first-person KSP career is still one of my favorite gaming experiences to date in large part thanks to RPM and  ALCOR.

If MAS would be more fleshed out it would probably suck in a bunch of people waiting for it.
I fully understand free time management, priorities and the difficulties of implementing the system..but I don't think you need to worry about it not being something many people would like.:)

How fleshed out are you expecting it to be? It already has a full-featured MFD and implementation for all the major standard gauge types. It's perfectly usable and has a number of items never implemented in RPM. It really just needs IVA makers.

I'm hoping to create some, but I'd never done an IVA before, so I expect it'll be very slow going for me. MAS is worth it, though. I can't run RPM well anymore due to the hit on frame rate when running with my other mods - if someone *does* pick up RPM for further dev, I really hope they optimize or re-write it to be faster.