[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

I think the fix for the camera bug (I'm guessing forcing a periodic redraw somehow) has broken the Vessel Viewer page. It now clears the images immediately after it draws it, causing flickering if the Vessel Viewer latency is set to anything other than "Off".

RasterPropMonitor has been updated to version 0.19.2. It is available on GitHub as well as KerbalStuff.

FIXES: The ghosting / background not being erased when external cameras were used, as well as the missing starfield in the external cameras.

NEW FEATURE: JSITransparentPod can be disabled in the VAB/SPH with a config file change for those computers that are too low spec to handle it. An optional config file is included in RPM to disable it.

NOTE: The initial 0.19.2 release was missing the JSITransparentPod disabling MM patch, so the zip file is 0.19.2.1 on GitHub and KerbalStuff has a version 0.19.2.1.

Thank you for figuring out the skybox issue! That helps me out tremendously.

PFD screens still use celsius while game temperature is in kelvin.

I haven't looked at the numbers yet, to be honest. If I need to convert from Kelvin to Celsius, I will. I don't think Kelvin is a useful scale for day-to-day use.

1) How does one make a camera from a part?

At least some of that question is answered by the Wiki page here.

1.1) What kind of module should I add in the config to connect it to RPM?

Add JSIExternalCameraSelector - for instance, the Module Manager overrides in JSI/RasterPropMonitor/ThirdPartySupport/hullcam-models-as-external-cameras.cfg add those modules to HullCam parts.

2) B9 Aerospace had its own PFD screen with several camera views which didn't require an external part. How does one do that?

Alexustas likewise did it with the ALCOR lander. I believe it's simply a case of pointing a JSIExternalCameraSelector to a specific transform on the model.

2.1) Is it possible to view your vessel from above using this technique?

I suppose it is, provided a part places the transform up there, or if you use a large enough offset to move the camera up there.

3) Is it possible to connect to cameras on other vessels? For example I'd like to see my launch from the launchpad view on the PFD screen. This would require a camera slapped on a launch clamp pointing upwards. But as soon as I release the clamp I lose the connection, is it possible to make the connection persistent until it unloads physically?

No - that gets to be really messy, and Mihara nixed that when he looked into it. I don't intend to try to get something like that to work any time soon.

4) is there any way to move the camera's viewport using screen arrows?

Using JSISteerableCamera for the background handler allows the screen arrows to aim the camera.

I think the fix for the camera bug (I'm guessing forcing a periodic redraw somehow) has broken the Vessel Viewer page. It now clears the images immediately after it draws it, causing flickering if the Vessel Viewer latency is set to anything other than "Off".

Darn. I'll grab a copy of VV and see if unwinding part of my changes will fix that problem without reintroducing the other one.

Question, will you be moving to add more compatible modules to RPM, or is it just the codeside that's being maintained? I'm asking because the MK 1 inline got updated, and I always used that as a control module before 3 man pods were created. So I want to know if I should wait for an update or swap out the models for the old MK1 from 0.9, which was RPM compatible.

Also converting to Celcius might be iffy, as the re-entry safe temperatures in the VAB are also in Kelvin, so unless you can change that readout, you'd have conflicting data being given to the user, such as parts exploding 273deg too soon. Better to just swap out the C for a K, or perhaps have both displayed.

Edited by Silent_Thunder

Question, will you be moving to add more compatible modules to RPM, or is it just the codeside that's being maintained? I'm asking because the MK 1 inline got updated, and I always used that as a control module before 3 man pods were created. So I want to know if I should wait for an update or swap out the models for the old MK1 from 0.9, which was RPM compatible.

Also converting to Celcius might be iffy, as the re-entry safe temperatures in the VAB are also in Kelvin, so unless you can change that readout, you'd have conflicting data being given to the user, such as parts exploding 273deg too soon. Better to just swap out the C for a K, or perhaps have both displayed.

I will get around to applying RPM updates to the new cockpits eventually, but if someone else comes up with something first, and they're willing to share, I'll include it in RPM. As for the temperatures, I may add Kelvin versions for them, as well, so IVA designers have their choice as to which scale to use.

I want to report a possible bug,

I use KSP 1.0, RP 0.19.2 and last VesselViewer.

And the image on the RP monitor strongly flickers.

same problem here, flicker only ocures on the vesselviewer, if i had epilepsy i would have totalled my room by now :D

@MOARdV I've been dancing with the steerable camera handler and it turned out awesome:

Not many people tweak MFDs that come with RPM, why not make this feature by default it's so useful?

The global button is still the switch between cameras, here's the code I used:

PAGE
{
name = extcam1
button = buttonR7
text = External Camera 1

BACKGROUNDHANDLER
{
name = JSISteerableCamera
method = RenderCamera
showNoSignal = yes
buttonClickMethod = ClickProcessor
buttonReleaseMethod = ReleaseProcessor
cameraTransform = ExtCam1
fovLimits = 30,60
zoomRate = 40
zoomIn = 7
zoomOut = 8
yawLimits = -45,45
yawRate = 50
pitchLimits = 45,-45
pitchRate = 50
yawLeft = 6
yawRight = 5
pitchUp = 0
pitchDown = 1
seekHome = 4
}
}

I changed camera numbers for each page.

One problem is that I haven't figured out a way to make the "no signal" screen when there's no cam for that page.

A also made some reverse cameras by offsetting them.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Enceos

@MOARdV I've been dancing with the steerable camera handler and it turned out awesome:

(-snip video-)

Not many people tweak MFDs that come with RPM, why not make this feature by default it's so useful?

The drawback with the steerable camera is you have to place it correctly, and you have to tweak the yaw/pitch limits. If you put a JSI External camera close to the hull, and it has a pitch value that allows it to pitch "down" relative to its default position, you'll get a camera view that clips inside the fuel tank. A different camera part (like the probe camera in FASA with my Gemini RPM package) won't have that problem because it stands away from the hull. It's a better user experience for people who don't tweak the RPM package to leave the cameras fixed by default. And maybe it will encourage more people to experiment with tweaking RPM configs. :)

The drawback with the steerable camera is you have to place it correctly, and you have to tweak the yaw/pitch limits. If you put a JSI External camera close to the hull, and it has a pitch value that allows it to pitch "down" relative to its default position, you'll get a camera view that clips inside the fuel tank. A different camera part (like the probe camera in FASA with my Gemini RPM package) won't have that problem because it stands away from the hull. It's a better user experience for people who don't tweak the RPM package to leave the cameras fixed by default. And maybe it will encourage more people to experiment with tweaking RPM configs. :)

Maybe we could include such configs into an Extras folder or an optional download package for people who would like to use these features without delving into the RPM configs?

Is there a tutorial floating around on how to launch/rendezvous/dock/land at ksc with RPM (IVA ONLY) ? :D

While you can do it without third person just fine, i highly doubt that you can do anything IVA only since most maneouvers will require map modifications and planning. Besides that, you will need other addon mods to help you. ALCOR capsule has most of these elements in already, otherwise if you want to do it with a stock capsule, you should get Vessel Viewer, Docking cam, Mechjeb, Scansat, and if you dont mind, use the map a little, other than that, everything else should be up to you and your ship.

Feature Suggestion: Have implementation of IVA interiors be a tweak-able option in the build hangers when right clicking the capsules/cockpits. Then depending on whether the IVA is stock or advanced w/ Rasterprop, it influences the cost of the capsule. IE: so glass cockpits cost a little more.

How do I get the nice IVA's with the FASA Apollo module?

I believe the FASA Apollo module and LEM already have RPM enabled interiors. However, they were modeled to be like the original Apollo, not a modern glass cockpit.

A problem I found is that there was not a GL.Clear every frame for the render texture that RPM renders into. Mihara had set it up so only under certain circumstances would he do a clear. I added GL.Clear to the beginning of the render routine, and it seems like it fixed the problem. Well, to be more specific, all of the ghosting and garbage is gone. I have not actually looked closely at it to see if the skybox is rendering or not, so it might just be drawing planets and craft on a black background.
I want to report a possible bug,

I use KSP 1.0, RP 0.19.2 and last VesselViewer.

And the image on the RP monitor strongly flickers.

same problem here, flicker only ocures on the vesselviewer, if i had epilepsy i would have totalled my room by now :D

I think these are related.

A workaround for me was to turn off latency on VesselView, but Spode knows what will happen to my FPS as I progress in my career.

I think these are related.

A workaround for me was to turn off latency on VesselView, but Spode knows what will happen to my FPS as I progress in my career.

Yeah, the problem is that *something* changed in the way render targets are supplied to RPM forcing me to clear them every frame. Prior to 1.0, we got away with selective clearing. Now, since I have to clear every frame, when VV is in latency mode, there's a picture drawn on the screen only once every N frames, and the rest are black. PetsTimesSix is aware of the issue (we've PM'd about it), but it will require a change in VV.

Hello,

first i want to admit that i didnt read all pages in both RPM threads so perhaps this question was raised already ;)

I have an issue with the IVA Undock option in Target management -> Undock

The issue is that no matter how i name the ports in VAB and Attach modules to it, the IVA screens still show some generic port name ("dockingport2 (front)") for instance.

Only Ports which i docked something to in Space, show proper names, apparently taken from the name of the Vessel i have docked there.

Is this expected behavior or am i missing something ?

I would like to control the Undocking of some parts from inside the ship, as from the orbital view these are not visible (hidden behind fairings or other recesses) so i cannot right-click on them and undock normally

Well, dear MOARdV,I got some problems while I want to extand the use of RPM,would u PLEASE to tell me how to solve them?

I wanna add a camera to the orginal docking port,so I add the codes from the part of mod HullCameraVDS,and also I add the codes from the cfg called hullcam-models-as-external-cameras inside RPM's ThirdPartySupport folder.

The camera worked profectly,but RPM cannt identify it at all ! Other cameras can switch its Camera ID,but my docking carmera just cannot switch ,infact ,it doesnt have a Camera ID. This problem is driving me crazy , so can u help me?

PS:Im a Chinese high school student and my English is poor XD, please don't mind my mistakes :)

Another PS: Im also just start using Forum and I cannot use it well,so I just paste the codes I added here……

MODULE

{

name = MuMechModuleHullCameraZoom

cameraName = BoosterCamAft

cameraForward = 0, 1, 0

cameraUp = 1, 0, 0

cameraPosition = 0.05, 0.14, 0.0

cameraFoVMax = 90

cameraFoVMin = 60

}

MODULE

{

name = JSIExternalCameraSelector

cameraContainer = hc_booster

rotateCamera = -90,-90,0

translateCamera = 0.06,0.1,0

cameraIDPrefix = ExtCam

}

(What Im suppose to say at the end of this quick reply? I guess a thx would be the best XD)

I Just realised that naming docking ports is not a feature of the core game but of Docking Port Alignment Indicator - still i'd be interested to know from where does RPM take the names which it displays in the IVA Cockpit Instruments ?

Well, dear MOARdV,I got some problems while I want to extand the use of RPM,would u PLEASE to tell me how to solve them?

I wanna add a camera to the orginal docking port,so I add the codes from the part of mod HullCameraVDS,and also I add the codes from the cfg called hullcam-models-as-external-cameras inside RPM's ThirdPartySupport folder.

The camera worked profectly,but RPM cannt identify it at all ! Other cameras can switch its Camera ID,but my docking carmera just cannot switch ,infact ,it doesnt have a Camera ID. This problem is driving me crazy , so can u help me?

PS:Im a Chinese high school student and my English is poor XD, please don't mind my mistakes :)

Another PS: Im also just start using Forum and I cannot use it well,so I just paste the codes I added here……

MODULE

{

name = MuMechModuleHullCameraZoom

cameraName = BoosterCamAft

cameraForward = 0, 1, 0

cameraUp = 1, 0, 0

cameraPosition = 0.05, 0.14, 0.0

cameraFoVMax = 90

cameraFoVMin = 60

}

MODULE

{

cameraContainer = hc_booster

rotateCamera = -90,-90,0

translateCamera = 0.06,0.1,0

cameraIDPrefix = ExtCam

}

(What Im suppose to say at the end of this quick reply? I guess a thx would be the best XD)

You can wrap code in [ CODE ] and [ /CODE ] (remove the spaces from before and after the word "CODE"). :)

You do not need Module MuMechModuleHullCameraZoom - that is for HullCam.

All docking ports automatically have a camera added to them that can be used when they are the Reference Part (you have to choose Reference Part in the Target menu on the MFD). To use a docking port as a normal external camera, all you need to do is use a Module Manager script like this:

@PART[dockingPort2]
{
MODULE
{
cameraContainer = dockingNode
cameraIDPrefix = ExtCam
}
}

This code adds a camera to the Clamp-o-Tron docking port (1.25m) named ExtCam. It will now be available in the External Cameras MFD page. You were close - the reason it did not work is the cameraContainer is specific to a part. For Squad docking ports, it is dockingNode. For HullCam or other parts, it may be different. The rotateCamera and translateCamera are used in special cases, but they should not be needed for simple parts. Copy this code and save it as a text file somewhere in GameData with a name like DockingPortCamera.cfg

I hope this helps.

I Just realised that naming docking ports is not a feature of the core game but of Docking Port Alignment Indicator - still i'd be interested to know from where does RPM take the names which it displays in the IVA Cockpit Instruments ?

I was going to ask how you were naming the ports. An interface with DPAI would be nice, so you can use its names. When I have time, I'll get in touch with NavyFish and see what it would take for me to add that support (and for DPAI to support RPM doing it). As for docking port names, for parts that are attached in advance (in the VAB), all it does is take the name of the part and its orientation. For docking ports that were docked in flight, it uses the name of the other craft.

I'm having a problem with my Orbit screen: the orbit itself (the blue ellipse) isn't showing, only the surface/atmosphere and the Ap/Pe markers. Anyone else getting this?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, this mod is awesome in conjunction with RPM:

QuickIVA

There was a first person EVA mod too, but can't find it anymore.

ops……Thats awkward……

I just noticed that RPM already have a docking camera itself……

Thx for answer me anywayï¼Â:)

I only just noticed, when browsing Kerbal Stuff for recent updates (found a mod that didn't have the correct API extension DLL specified and caused KSP to stop loading... completely... like totally stuck... okay, I'm done now.) that you added the transparent pod disabling in the editors thing I was working on a while back. Awesome stuff. Now I can remove my custom override DLL I made with just those methods in it.

EDIT: in reply to the Chinese student's post... your English is actually an improvement over many native English users that post on these boards. I wouldn't worry about little mistakes so much were I in your shoes. Not that I want to trade shoes with you or anything. That would be creepy.

Edited by Gaalidas