[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

33 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

I'm waiting on FAR and MechJeb to release official versions, and I've got a font quality problem alexustas reported that I need to reproduce and to resolve.  So, no timeline on when the release will be.

Understood.

Thanks for replying, at least I'll be able to give people answers when they ask.

Hello to everyone,

KSP installed (steam) 1.2.1.1604; a few mods (KER/KIS/KAS/MJ/ScanSat/VesselView), and RPM - latest version from GitHub.

No RPM views in stock pods :( is this normal ? In default version or in 64-bit, in science mod, or sandbox.

What can be wrong ? :( 

2 hours ago, Maukse said:

Hello to everyone,

KSP installed (steam) 1.2.1.1604; a few mods (KER/KIS/KAS/MJ/ScanSat/VesselView), and RPM - latest version from GitHub.

No RPM views in stock pods :( is this normal ? In default version or in 64-bit, in science mod, or sandbox.

What can be wrong ? :( 

Most likely, you need to install ModuleManager.

Does anyone know how to format this variable in the screen .txt file so that it will always have the exact same number of places, whether there is a minus sign "-" or not.

RELATIVEINCLINATION:  45.0000

RELATIVEINCLINATION:  -45.0000

In plain language (which I need) I want the first one to insert a blank space before the "4" if the value is positive, and to not do so if the value is negative.   Then the numbers on-screen would always line up.

Thanks.   I figured it out.

Edited by nukeboyt
"Quotes" is all messed up for me in the forum

Hi MOARdV I've been looking at ye olde MFD mod made by hyomoto a while back and i'm thinking of trying to get it working.

Do you know of what significant changes I might have to deal with for a mod that worked up to 0.90 to make it work with RPM currently?

Edit 1: At the moment, the splash page is visible but none of the buttons work.

Edit 2: I've found a hacky way to make some of what hyomoto created, work and explained in this post.

Edited by jackellice

1 hour ago, jackellice said:

Hi MOARdV I've been looking at ye olde MFD mod made by hyomoto a while back and i'm thinking of trying to get it working.

Do you know of what significant changes I might have to deal with for a mod that worked up to 0.90 to make it work with RPM currently?

Edit 1: At the moment, the splash page is visible but none of the buttons work.

Forsoothe, I shoulde expect ye olde MFD mod to work verily.

*Ahem*, sorry...

Skimming the config file for it (MFD40x20.cfg), it looks like it's a convoluted MFD configuration.  Only certain buttons work from certain pages.  Some possibilities - colliders for the buttons aren't working (a problem with the model now thanks to KSP updates), or something broke in RPM in the last year or two, or you're not pressing the right buttons to get it to change screens.

What I'd try first is temporarily scrapping the complexity of the MFD and see if you can get a couple of pages working with simple button assignments (no disableSwitchingTo / CONTEXTREDIRECT stuff)  That eliminates the model as a problem.

From there, restore the page layouts, but keep the disableSwitchingTo stuff commented out - that should determine if the buttons are being disabled by the config.

If it works up to that point, it's possible I've broken something in the disableSwitchingTo functionality.  That is code Mihara wrote long ago that I wasn't involved in, and it's not functionality I've personally used.

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

What I'd try first is temporarily scrapping the complexity of the MFD and see if you can get a couple of pages working with simple button assignments (no disableSwitchingTo / CONTEXTREDIRECT stuff)  That eliminates the model as a problem.

From there, restore the page layouts, but keep the disableSwitchingTo stuff commented out - that should determine if the buttons are being disabled by the config.

If it works up to that point, it's possible I've broken something in the disableSwitchingTo functionality.  That is code Mihara wrote long ago that I wasn't involved in, and it's not functionality I've personally used.

I've hacked the mod together in a rather grizzly fashion and it works. I believe you're right about it being the model. there are a few things that need to be worked out.

Buttons aren't mapped correctly because Hyomoto used their own model with fewer horizontal buttons. I'm excited to incorporate more functionality that you've expanded upon in the mod that you've taken over since like kerbal piloting.

I think more buttons are better than less.

Edited by jackellice

7 minutes ago, jackellice said:

I think more buttons are better than less.

It's a matter of personal taste, but I what I liked about Hyomoto's MFD was exactly the fewer buttons/better organized aspect. It might be more complicated to make pages, but I found them more intuitive to use.

It does have a neat style to it. I'm having trouble figuring out the names of the buttons on the left side of the MFD. Do they have names?
Found the reference!

edit 2: Can't seem to use button_Left and button_Right. are they active? FIXED

Edited by jackellice

33 minutes ago, jackellice said:

It does have a neat style to it. I'm having trouble figuring out the names of the buttons on the left side of the MFD. Do they have names?
Found the reference!

edit 2: Can't seem to use button_Left and button_Right. are they active?

I can't say without pulling the prop in a hex editor (I don't have modeling tools that allow me to load it).

2 hours ago, monstah said:

what are we to expect of it? Is it like an RPM 2.0 (as in, monitor-focused), or is it a framework for props in general?

Something wonderful... :)

The parts that work now are sufficient to drive props in general. I have all of the props I use in my Flight Systems Redux mod, plus some of the new props alexustas made for the upcoming ASET Props pack working, and I've been routinely flying all-IVA missions with it.  Monitor support is very rudimentary, mainly because they aren't part of my normal play style.  I plan on expanding on them, and they will be much more powerful for IVA creators, hopefully with fewer quirks than RPM has, since they'll be designed from the ground up to be flexible (as opposed to RPM bolting flexibility onto an existing framework).

Lovely!

The thing about monitors is that I find them quite hard to read on my resolution, they being rendered on a texture in a 3D environment, as opposed to on my screen. I like them, but I mostly use the 'graphical' ones - primary flight (not paying attention to most numbers), altitude graph, orbit display, vessel view, external cam, docking. The others I only use sparingly, and I usually have to zoom to make them useful.

So, I'm not opposed at all to having various props instead of a general monitor!

43 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

I can't say without pulling the prop in a hex editor (I don't have modeling tools that allow me to load it).

No worries ^^ I'm happy to kitbash the formats into your model. Maybe mix them up a little bit more. I've solved all of my problems and Hyomoto's MFDs work now! (except the model but nevermind that for now)

Hmm I heard good things about... folks who have used alcor props... i've been meaning to install one to see what they're like. Wonders if they're better than MFD.

Edited by jackellice

1 hour ago, jackellice said:

Hmm I heard good things about... folks who have used alcor props... i've been meaning to install one to see what they're like. Wonders if they're better than MFD.

ALCOR props are an almost overwhelming toolkit for making immersive IVA.  alexustas has made hundreds of props that run the entire range from pre-digital aviation to digital glass-cockpit styles.  Some of the still-in-development props include a lot of 1960's era NASA-inspired props (gauges, switches, and a DSKY, and a Soyuz-style IMP Globus), ... actually, a picture would be better:

Okgfcf.jpg

All of those buttons, gauges, and instruments are part of the upcoming release of alexustas' ASET Props / ASET Avionics. These in particular are also entirely powered by my in-development RPM-replacement plugin.  And all of them are functional - either they display real information from the game or a mod, or they allow you to control the vessel.  Click through, and you can see a better view of all of the detail.

The current ASET props require a little bit of finessing to get them working right, since I had to make changes in RPM for KSP 1.2.  However, most of that finessing relates to MFDs or displays.

Edited by MOARdV

22 hours ago, MOARdV said:

All of those buttons, gauges, and instruments are part of the upcoming release of alexustas' ASET Props / ASET Avionics. These in particular are also entirely powered by my in-development RPM-replacement plugin.  And all of them are functional - either they display real information from the game or a mod, or they allow you to control the vessel.  Click through, and you can see a better view of all of the detail.

Sweet! Does that work in 1.2.1? I'd love to give that a go inthe Mk. 1-1 A2 Two Kerbal Command Pod. Will download now.

Edit: Ah lovely. That is very impressive! This is something I can't wait to see finished!

Edited by jackellice

7 hours ago, jackellice said:

Sweet! Does that work in 1.2.1? I'd love to give that a go inthe Mk. 1-1 A2 Two Kerbal Command Pod. Will download now.

Edit: Ah lovely. That is very impressive! This is something I can't wait to see finished!

My local version works with 1.2.1.  Unfortunately, Yarbrough08 hasn't been around in a long time, so the pod hasn't been updated.  alexustas has released testing versions of the prop pack, and my plugin isn't quite ready for public alpha testing.  So, for the time being, that screen shot will be about as close to a release as you can get.

@MOARdV, I noticed some null reference exception errors that belongs to RPM in log file while I was creating report for kOS team. I think that I used verion packed along with B9 aerospace beta release mod, I no longer recall ecat download place.

Anyhow, here is file with log and other stuff for kOS members if it is worth to inspect.

38 minutes ago, Enceos said:

does RPM have a "force IVA" feature after docking? If yes, under what conditions does it work?

What-choo cookin up now? :P

EDIT:

OH!.. hello... think I fgured it out :wink: ...too funny, that was te next thread I went to read, and whatdoyouknow?...lol

Edited by Stone Blue

13 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

What-choo cookin up now? :P

OH!.. hello... think I fgured it out :wink: ...too funny, that was te next thread I went to read, and whatdoyouknow?...lol

Just playin' KSP xD wanted some first person immersion, don't like when my camera refocuses out of IVA after docking.

Edited by Enceos

3 hours ago, Enceos said:

@MOARdV Hi dude, does RPM have a "force IVA" feature after docking? If yes, under what conditions does it work?

No, it unfortunately doesn't.  If you get kicked out of IVA, that's because the vessel you were flying ceased to exist - when it docked with the other vessel / station, KSP decided to add clones of the parts from your vessel to the other vessel.  It might be possible to add a feature like that, but any such effort will be in my Avionics Systems mod, not RPM.

6 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

No, it unfortunately doesn't.  If you get kicked out of IVA, that's because the vessel you were flying ceased to exist - when it docked with the other vessel / station, KSP decided to add clones of the parts from your vessel to the other vessel.  It might be possible to add a feature like that, but any such effort will be in my Avionics Systems mod, not RPM.

Please add it to your "would like to do" list :3