[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

Just now, HaydenTheKing said:

Is there a repository of IVA's?

I have links on the front page to some RPM IVAs that other modders have created, but there are a lot of others out there.  I don't keep track of what's out there, so there's no repository.  It's mostly a "search the forum" thing.  There are some incredible designs out there - alexustas's Mk1-2 replacement, for instance.

@HaydenTheKing, I'm working on IVAs, but so far, mostly for piston engined Golden Age of Flight, and mod-focused. If you search for ASET or RPM on SpaceDock, you'll find some more.

@MOARdV, for some reason, some of the props using JSILabel and JSIVariableLabel are throwing text at right angles to where it was intended. This is with props that worked fine in 1.2.2 / previous release. Most recent dev version of ASET Pops and RPM 0.29.0 Beta 1

Also, how do I stop it dumping screenshots of the monitors when I take a screenshot? Is that something I can do on this end?

Just now, theonegalen said:

@HaydenTheKing, I'm working on IVAs, but so far, mostly for piston engined Golden Age of Flight, and mod-focused. If you search for ASET or RPM on SpaceDock, you'll find some more.

@MOARdV, for some reason, some of the props using JSILabel and JSIVariableLabel are throwing text at right angles to where it was intended. This is with props that worked fine in 1.2.2 / previous release. Most recent dev version of ASET Pops and RPM 0.29.0 Beta 1

Also, how do I stop it dumping screenshots of the monitors when I take a screenshot? Is that something I can do on this end?

Thank you guys for replies didn't realize i had to download extra IVA's I thought RPM had them all included in. I guess that was dumb of me lol

58 minutes ago, HaydenTheKing said:

Thank you guys for replies didn't realize i had to download extra IVA's I thought RPM had them all included in. I guess that was dumb of me lol

There are some basic ones that are included, I think, but they aren't much more than the stock IVAs with a bunch of basic monitors everywhere.

3 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I had a PM reporting that problem, as well.  Short answer, I have no clue (because I haven't had time to look into it).  I speculate that it's related to the localization changes, but I have not dug into the code to see if that is indeed the case.  Although MAS doesn't show that problem for some reason.  Hopefully I can get some time this weekend to look into it, since I had a very short deadline task tossed in my lap at work that's going to chew up some free time.

As for screen shots, add this to the monitors you want to suppress:

doScreenshots = false

EDIT: It turns out that the JSIVariableLabel and JSISwitchableVariableLabel both use stock KSP's InternalText object to display text, and InternalText uses TMPro  I speculate that there's a toggle somewhere that tells TMPro to use vertical orientation or something weird like that, but I don't know what that toggle is.

Everything else (JSILabel and the monitors) use my text renderer, instead.  MAS also uses my text renderer.  @theonegalen - are you sure you saw it with JSILabel, too?  I didn't notice any props that (I think) used JSILabel that were misbehaving in the ALCOR lander.

Edited by MOARdV

@MOARdV, I thought I had changed some configs to use JSILabel instead of JSIVariableLabel in my other install, but it looks like I was wrong. My apologies!

Is there any reason to keep using JSIVariableLabel instead of JSILabel besides backwards compatibility?

18 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

@MOARdV, I thought I had changed some configs to use JSILabel instead of JSIVariableLabel in my other install, but it looks like I was wrong. My apologies!

Is there any reason to keep using JSIVariableLabel instead of JSILabel besides backwards compatibility?

That's a relief - it's isolated to the older text display feature.

There's no reason I can think of not to use JSILabel exclusively.  JSIVariableLabel is the very limited original implementation, and it only supports Arial font.  JSISwitchableVariableLabel is slightly more flexible, since it can change what it displays, but it's still stuck using Arial.  JSILabel and a Select variable can do the same thing with minimal effort.  That, and JSILabel wasn't affected by the KSP update. :)

51 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

I tried replacing the JSIVariableLabel CrewManual props with JSILabel ones, but the modified text isn't showing up. I don't really understand the formatting at all. What formatting is used?

You should be able to get away with changing it by renaming it to JSILabel, and changing the size by multiplying by 1000 (for a first-order guess) - a number around 6 or 8, for instance, might be a good guess.  If you don't change the size, the text will be so small you won't see it.

EDIT: As for the formatting - it's a RPM special format.  It uses '$$$' to indicate a new line, and, since the labelText field is in a config file, it has to use '<=' and '=>' instead of the C# formatting characters '{' and '}'.

Edited by MOARdV

38 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

You should be able to get away with changing it by renaming it to JSILabel, and changing the size by multiplying by 1000 (for a first-order guess) - a number around 6 or 8, for instance, might be a good guess.  If you don't change the size, the text will be so small you won't see it.

EDIT: As for the formatting - it's a RPM special format.  It uses '$$$' to indicate a new line, and, since the labelText field is in a config file, it has to use '<=' and '=>' instead of the C# formatting characters '{' and '}'.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH.

Thanks! :D

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

so.. the 1.3 compatible version is still a pre-release?  Or was that marked in error on github and the 1.3.0 is actually official?

As the thread title says, RPM v0.29.0 is a beta.  I don't have the bandwidth to fully test out the code, so I throw a pre-release out in the hopes that I get feedback on it.  There's one bug that affects everyone as discussed on this page, and there is a report from one person (so far) that the JSILabel module is causing crash/hang problems on Mac.

RasterPropMonitor has now been updated to v0.29.0 beta 2, now on GitHub.

This update includes a fix to the JSIVariableLabel and JSISwitchableVariableLabel text orientation problem, and it includes a fix for Mac crashes using JSILabel.  Many thanks to @silentvelcro for being a Mac tester to help me isolate the crash and check the fix.

Just dragged the beta into gamedata, installed the AIES mod, IVA looks like this:

Screenshot%20from%202017-06-05%2020-27-3

Running: Linux KSP x64

Installed Mods: https://pastebin.com/VscgGYh9

logfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucp4gg1d16ydqrr/Player (copy).log?dl=0

I also confirmed that I have the Liberation font family installed.

Where did I go wrong?

Edited by martinmike2
added support data

13 hours ago, martinmike2 said:

Where did I go wrong?

You installed a beta. :)

Seriously, those pink blocks tell me the shader for the on-screen text display isn't working in Linux.  I was worried something like that would happen, since I had to rebuild the asset bundles and I don't have a Linux box I can use for testing.  I can try a couple of things and post replacement asset bundles, but it's a shot in the dark.

EDIT: You also have at least one outdated mod that is throwing exceptions, which can cause problems.  A FuseBox mod or something like that, from the name I see in the log.

EDIT2: I've got an alternate rasterpropmonitor.ksp asset bundle on DropBox.  This may fix the problem for Linux, and it hopefully works for Mac.

Edited by MOARdV

11 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I was worried something like that would happen, since I had to rebuild the asset bundles and I don't have a Linux box I can use for testing.

Just a heads up, the alternate bundle didn't fix it.

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/CroppedDisplayShader' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/CroppedDisplayShader' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Blur' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Blur' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/DisplayShader' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/DisplayShader' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/FontShader' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/FontShader' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Grayscale' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Grayscale' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Greenscale' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Greenscale' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'FORWARD_DELTA' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - All passes removed
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'FORWARD_DELTA' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/JSILabel' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Noise' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Noise' - Setting to default shader.
[RPMShaderLoader]: Found 8 RPM shaders and 9 fonts.

I offer my machine as a testbed should you need it.

12 hours ago, martinmike2 said:

I offer my machine as a testbed should you need it.

I've re-updated the asset bundle on DropBox.  I don't expect it to fix the issue, but fingers crossed.  What's annoying is that I had this exact same problem when KSP first moved to asset bundles, and I don't remember what combination of hoops I had to jump through to fix it, and that was on my previous computer.  And it seems to be a common problem, and has been for a while, in the broader Unity community.

Not yet

Screenshot%20from%202017-06-07%2017-37-0

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/CroppedDisplayShader' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/CroppedDisplayShader' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Blur' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Blur' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/DisplayShader' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/DisplayShader' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/FontShader' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/FontShader' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Grayscale' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Grayscale' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Greenscale' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Greenscale' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/JSILabel' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Noise' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'RPM/Noise' - Setting to default shader.
[RPMShaderLoader]: Found 8 RPM shaders and 9 fonts.

For information:  I created a new clean install and only installed the ASET props, ModuleManager, and the RPM mod.  Then d/l your new ksp, overwrote the one in the mod folder and relaunched

14 hours ago, martinmike2 said:

Not yet

(snip)

For information:  I created a new clean install and only installed the ASET props, ModuleManager, and the RPM mod.  Then d/l your new ksp, overwrote the one in the mod folder and relaunched

What sort of GPU do you have on you machine?  I'm concerned that even the fallback shader failed in your case.

Are there any other Linux users who have tried the beta?  Having more data points may help me understand the issue.

58 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

What sort of GPU do you have on you machine?  I'm concerned that even the fallback shader failed in your case.

NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 950] (rev a1) with driver version 375

Just now, martinmike2 said:

NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 950] (rev a1) with driver version 375

Is it running in OpenGL 4.x mode?  Or do you have KSP forced to run in GL 2.x (I assume there's a way to do that)?