KSP #1 on Steam!

Hobbes Novakoff

I'm actually a bit surprised at the marketability of the game. Part of me was worried that everyone who might buy it already owned it.

There are a lot of people who got burned by Early Access scams in the past two years. It got so bad that the public opinion on the model changed from "this is a really awesome way to do it" of the Minecraft beta era to "this is a really obvious way to cheat people out of money and run". Just having something tagged "Early Access" makes a significant number of people automatically pass. Especially if they check a year later and see that the title is still in Early Access.

I'm fairly sure that Squad is very happy to be rid of this nowadays highly stigmatized baggage. And a lot of players who always said "looks kinda cool but I'm not falling for this again" now see that the title is fully released and will happily buy it.

I still have the old reciept:

Kerbal Space Program

14.99 EUR

Date confirmed:

Tue Jun 24 04:50:28 2014

Based on the timestamp i'm guessing i was up late, likely drunk and on my way to bed.

Best "spur of the moment" purchase ever! So far i have clocked 333 hours according to steam

There are a lot of people who got burned by Early Access scams in the past two years. It got so bad that the public opinion on the model changed from "this is a really awesome way to do it" of the Minecraft beta era to "this is a really obvious way to cheat people out of money and run". Just having something tagged "Early Access" makes a significant number of people automatically pass. Especially if they check a year later and see that the title is still in Early Access.

One of the more annoying things I come across with "anti-early-access debates" is "Updates are too slow, I'll be 80 by the time the game finishes". A typical game takes well around 4 years to complete, sometimes longer; yet the children who buy the game act as if they're entitled to the developers releasing updates on their schedule; sometimes even going so far as to demand their money back and make a big fuss on the forums about it. While you do have the "take the money and run" syndrome, you also have the "I can't take this pressure anymore."

Kerbal Space Program was great before the Early Access Program even existed on Steam. While I'm usually distrustful of anything that charges for early access any of sort; this game already had a demo out and later purchased it. Got a good investment out of it, especially with many playable test versions. :D

One could say Kerbal Space Program was one of the very few of the Early Access Program to succeed without shutting down (as many others have a way of shutting down or totally abandoning their projects). I salute Squad for perseverance on this project without ever giving up. ;)

$23 (which was about £14 at the time). For the price of a cinema ticket and popcorn, I have had hundreds of hours of enjoyment, and am still playing it on a weekly basis nearly 2 years later. Can't give a better testament to a game than that. Worth every penny, and still would be if I'd paid £100 for it.

I bought it during a steam sale for 18 euros if a rememerber well... And i never regret this purchase :) But it's a little bit strange because on steam KPS is now 40€ and on the KSP website only 30€ Why such a big gap between KPS site and Steam... Gaben ... ?

It's great to see KSP on top, especially on such a massive site as steam. Funny to see it going for £30 though, considering I bought it for only £12.99!

Cheers, CP

I would definitely pay that £12.99 again, considering the 100+ hours I've spent playing this brilliant game.

40$ seems to be a good price for such a game. It's not an alpha anymore. It's well featured and quite a long life game, even without mods.

Don't forget that many games start with a medium price but add DLC. Final price is much higher.

Yeah, nice "sale" we have going on there :wink:

The joke is that it used to cost 29.99 anyways.

Early acces/beta is cheaper, because you aren't getting a full product

One of the more annoying things I come across with "anti-early-access debates" is "Updates are too slow, I'll be 80 by the time the game finishes". A typical game takes well around 4 years to complete, sometimes longer; yet the children who buy the game act as if they're entitled to the developers releasing updates on their schedule; sometimes even going so far as to demand their money back and make a big fuss on the forums about it. While you do have the "take the money and run" syndrome, you also have the "I can't take this pressure anymore."

No doubt a large part in this is kids seeing a new Call of Duty (or Assassins creed, or whatever) each year, and asume it only takes a year to make a game.

Not concidering that those games are build by gigantic studios, and probably also take longer than a single year

In related news, steamcharts reports a jump from the usual 2-3k people playing to 17k after launch.

The current lowest of the day is around 6k

http://steamcharts.com/app/220200

Edited by Sirrobert

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.