Younger Players be damned - Kerbal EDU to suffer? Future kerbonaught's concerned!

Although I personally hate the new learning curve imposed on us recently in 1.0 I am sure as an adult, I can figure it out over time.

It seems even in sandbox that physics be damned no longer applies and the race to the mun is still a great challenge.

But my real concern is this.

Mr 6 can barely read. We spend time together as father and son bonding in the hope that exposing him to science will excite him and in turn he will enjoy learning and have fun whilst we practice reading the prompts on the screen and learn new words etc etc.

He has successful so far managed to orbit kerbin and execute a maneuver to a polar orbit.

in his words since 1.0 - "No im playing minecraft"

He then went on to explain how he struggles to get ships up even once I have shown him new methods for launch. He's over it.

Now one could argue that I be paitent and teach him about whats going on, but I think thats asking too much of a 6yo. The boy is smart but we grasp concepts and different stages and this lads stage just ran out of fuel.

So I politely ask Squad this.

"Do you plan on implementing features to customize the learning curve experienced by the player or releasing something for Kerbal EDU that will assit young players in understanding and working with the imposed changes brought with Aerodynamics?"

Kind regards,

The Easte family

Edited by Kerbal007
Answered

I can appreciate your plight. I would love give a quick and emphatic "Yes!" But EDU is built and maintained by a separate group of people. It isn't a squad product, so the actual next round of EDU may or may not suit your request.

I would say that planes are probably a bit easier, but rockets are harder. It's not quite a "launch and forget" maneuver anymore. Although one of the first big steps is to learn to actually throttle the engines down. The new aero lets you go a lot faster, but when you go faster at low altitude, things can be harder to control.

I don't know if any of that will help you, but I can sympathize.

Cheers,

-Claw

Claw, Thanks for your response, straight up and informative. I just don't want to see the kids forgotten about.

Since posting and another cup of coffee I found the following in another thread here fresh today. I look forward to testing this with my son.

Prop's to the man that produced it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.