What are the best mods out there?

Stealth2668

Best is all in what each of us want KSP to be. To me and not counting parts mods, number 1 would be KOS simply because it adds a tremendous amount to what is involved in planning even the simplest mission, down to writing ship specific code for that particular rocket. MechJeb is a classic but to me I'd much rather have the satisfaction, after cursing and shouting and pulling my hair out for a couple of days, to see all the work I put into that mission, like writing the auto pilot code, ended with success. How many games have I ever played before where I felt that completing the first orbit entitled me to having a cold one from the fridge?

Another top ace is Kerbal Engineer Redux. When you don't feel like having to put a ton of work into a mission, then it really is a LOT of help. Even if you do like all the nasty maths bits, KER in my opinion offers more than just a few numbers to make the build easier. If you want to think ground control is busy with their computers computing orbital time, rendezvous time, any-sort-of-time, delta v, then KER will offer you all that.

If you want more out of your satelite program then 2 mods: Remote Tech and SCANSat. RT in particular is a game changer as far as sats and probes go.

Edited by LN400

I do like some features of some mods:

mechjeb:I love the suicidal burn(when you are landing),it's just soo scary but fun at some times.

kerbal foundries:for the wheels this mod is a most plus it has anti-grav.

kethane:for mining but i haven't tested the mining of the stock ksp sooo yea...

Kerbal Alarm Clock is a must have for everyone

I have to agree here.

"Best mod" can mean a lot of different things to different people. I like Firespitter, RetroFuture, and other aviation mods because I like more choices when building planes. I like the range of parts I get in NovaPunch and Near Future. Editor Extensions is a great aid to craft building, and MechJeb makes so many things so much easier.

But Kerbal Alarm Clock is the one that has most fundamentally changed the way I play KSP. Where I used to launch one rocket at a time and time warp it all the way through to its mission objective and return, with KAC I can have several missions going simultaneously, with much less time warping.

B9 Aerospace: love my massive 60+ ton payload SSTO jumbo jets (hope it gets updated soon).

Some form of life support system. trying out USI-LS at the moment, but TAC is good too. Depends on how much challenge you want. I personally like having to ferry supplies to my remote outposts to keep the kerbals alive. hehe.

Mech Jeb: might be sorta cheaty, but it takes alot of the annoyance out of the game after you have colonies set up on several planets. launching and landing manually is only fun the first few times, then its just a drag. plus, real spacecraft are computer controlled.

Near Future Tech & interstellar: love the huge solar panels really help cut down on part count for large stations. and who doesn't love reactors and radiators?

RemoteTech: Again, great if you like a challenge. can be frustrating until you get a nice deep space satellite network built. But it adds a great sense of "purpose" to your launches.

and a myriad of other various mods, i try to give everything a chance at least once, delete if im not using it or dont like it. etc. I usually play in sandbox mode, hence the lifesupport and drone comms mods to bring the challenge back in. your mileage may vary if you prefer science/career mode.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.