[STOCK] Space Shuttle "Resolution"

Naito

Updated for KSP 1.4!

Yes yes, shuttles are old news now, but I still love them so here's an update for all you Shuttle huggers out there.

New for KSP 1.4

- Uses new 1.4 parts for proper size ratios between ET/Shuttle/boosters

- Solved SAS launch oscillation (was due to change in stability algorithms or something, since the control nodes are always offset from the centre of mass it was messing up badly)

- Fully certified for 40+T of cargo with zero modifications.  Just load her up and go.  Tested to 1500km with Mullet Dyne fuel pod https://kerbalx.com/Speeding_Mullet/Mullet-Dyne-40t-Fuel-Pod

Space Shuttle "Resolution"

The HMS Resolution was one of James Cook’s ships (One of which was Endeavour of course). As well, there was apparently once an enthusiast recreation of the shuttle cockpit that was named Resolution. So I thought it an appropriate for a KSP recreation by another shuttle enthusiast.

Download: https://kerbalx.com/crafts/14202

0aXis8Q.jpg

26BRq0PjSrwWhATsI.gif

UWr4thpl.png

New 1.2 SSME Fuel flow view!

New for this version!

• Uses new KSP SSMEs
  • Certified to launch 0 to 68T (4 full Ore tanks to 100km!)
  • Vernier engines as well as RCS for maneuvering
  • Redesigned OMS pods now use Fuel+Oxidizer rather than Monoprop. Shares fuel with fuel cells and vernier thrusters. SSME fuel is still isolated from rest of shuttle systems so you can safely burn to ET fuel exhaustion and still have OMS fuel remaining!
  • hybrid boosters (SRB integrated in LRBs to provide a bit of extra thrust and more dramatic exhaust effects)
  • Multiple control points for optimal control during Launch/Orbit/Docking/Re-entry (see details here)
  • Reduced part count!

1.0.x Shuttle still available here:  http://kerbalx.com/crafts/1923/

Sample payloads:

Spoiler

Extended Duration Orbiter (EDO) pallet - http://kerbalx.com/crafts/2236

xbbr2Whl.jpg

EDO Pallet v2 - http://kerbalx.com/crafts/3455

Zo87eWnl.png

Space Station Core (No relation to ISS :P )

Download

THExp1bl.jpg

Spoiler

Download

z9HVGCPl.pngSgW0HI3l.jpg

Download

XkpfKRol.png

Download

MKJPfIKl.png

[thread=102122]Moho Aeroworks[/thread] was kind enough to make an updated IUS booster. Can be used for any craft but see here attached to the Magellan probe!

Download

SJ9wulPl.png

kHcCpGgl.jpg

Kanadarm

OBSS boom

ISS Replica modules

Spoiler

These are designed to be assembled using this shuttle and the Infernal Robotics Kanadarm subassembly. All modules will be tested to ensure they can be docked together properly and assembled just like the real ISS was.

This is a full rocket, as the Zarya was launched by a Proton-K rocket and not via the shuttle. However it is the first piece of the ISS, so you'll need this to start with =) You'll need to replace the docking port junior with the Kanadarm dock for maximum authenticity, I only uploaded the fully stock version of this craft.

Download

JKiR2bM.png]

Download

DnNDJdvl.jpgXb1myywm.jpg

z2ithKHm.jpg3y9Kz3mm.jpg

Download

eDgg0jWl.png

Current state of ISS:

RpkDIszl.png

Features:

* Does NOT rely on Reaction Wheels to fly!

* Ability to perform Single-Engine-Out aborts like STS-51F. Depending on when the engine goes out, you may or may not make orbit! (just like real shuttle!)

* Realistic "twang" effect on SSME ignition

* Realistic fuel load (Oxidizer above Fuel)

* Realistic braking system (main landing gear brakes only, front landing gear steering only)

* Braking drogue chute

* Action groups allow for OMS assist during launch

* Fuel cell powered, use EDO pallet if you want extended duration missions!

* Realistic OMS and RCS placement

* Removable external airlock (reconfigure based on your cargo size)

* Fuel dump ports to help adjust CoG for landing

* CoG allows for stable nose-up re-entry up to about 40 degrees!

* MechJeb compatible

* Compatible with Inigma's Shuttle Mission Pods! i.e. http://kerbalx.com/inigma/STS%20Fuel%20Pod

Flight instructions

If you can launch a basic rocket in KSP, you can fly this. There are no tricks or "be careful whens" in this craft, it flies exactly as you'd expect and has good control authority throughout the flight profile to authentically replicate a complete real Space Shuttle flight. The simplest way to fly is with MechJeb, since launching the same way a dozen times to build a space station can get tiring!

Without MechJeb, I suggest you use the SAS Radial mode during launch and roll maneuver, roll heads down to your desired heading and pull up until your prograde vector points about 10 degrees along your desired heading, then just switch to SAS Prograde mode the rest of the way.

Otherwise, there are NO "be careful it will flip over at X thrust/altitude" or "you have to manage the throttle blah blah blah" instructions with this shuttle.  Just fly.  You have full control authority in all flight regimes, you can easily stress the wings off if you attempt to fly too sporty but you can experiment with all REAL shuttle maneuvers including RTLS and reentry side slips.

Suggested MechJeb settings for authentic launch profile

These settings will send you on a launch profile that closely replicates a real shuttle launch. You can see why the shuttle flies upside down on its way to orbit (it helps shield the wings from the airflow), and how it uses a gravity turn to reach orbit. You can also watch the boosters separate and coast to a maximum height before landing back in the ocean for a safe recovery, and how the external tank remains sub-orbital for disposal even after the main engines shut down. Use these numbers as a guideline, you'll have to adapt them depending on your payload and orbit target. For reference, this shuttle has been tested to successfully launch an 18T fuel tank to a 300km 90 degree polar orbit.

Orbital Altitude: 100 to 500km
Orbital Inclination: 0 to 90 degrees
Limit Acceleration to: 40m/s (this is about 3Gs, just to replicate the real shuttle limits)
Force Roll:  (This replicates the shuttle's roll maneuver after launch)
  Climb: 180
  Turn: 180 (Real shuttle rolled to heads up during the last third of their launch post-1995ish, just change this to 0 when you want to roll to heads up, or leave it at 180 to simulate the earlier launch profile)
Corrective Steering: on
Autostage: on
  Pre-Delay: 0
  Post-Delay: 0
  Stop at stage: 4

Edit Ascent Path:
Automatic Altitude Turn: off
  Turn start altitude: 0.5km
  Turn start velocity: 100m/s
  Turn end altitude: 60km
  Final flight path angle: 8 degrees
  Turn shape: 66%

Action Groups:

1 - Toggle OMS engines

2 - Shut down SSME

3 - Toggle CargoBayDoors/Lights/K-Band Antenna

9 - Toggle OMS fuel dump

10 - Deploy braking chute

Here are some "concept" shuttle variations that NASA explored during the Shuttle's golden age. These are all derived from this same shuttle craft file.

9ObCTAXm.jpg

Shuttle-C version: http://kerbalx.com/crafts/2740

Hb1FyPvm.jpg

http://kerbalx.com/crafts/2743

Changelog:

Spoiler

Updated 2.4

• Updated for KSP 1.2
  • Redesigned external Airlock, now seats 7 Kerbals!
  • K-Band Antenna
  • More RCS tweaks
  • Utilizes KSP 1.2 Rigid Attachment options for sturdier construction

Updated 2.0

• Certified to launch 0 to 68T (4 full Ore tanks to 100km!)
  • Vernier engines as well as RCS for maneuvering
  • Redesigned OMS pods now use Fuel+Oxidizer rather than Monoprop. Shares fuel with fuel cells and vernier thrusters. SSME fuel is still isolated from rest of shuttle systems so you can safely burn to ET fuel exhaustion and still have OMS fuel remaining!
  • hybrid boosters (SRB integrated in LRBs to provide a bit of extra thrust and more dramatic exhaust effects)
  • Reduced part count!

Updated v1.8

- Added mount points for Infernal Robotics Kanadarm and OBSS boom for easy attachment

kHcCpGgl.png

Arm requires Infernal Robotics: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116064

and RKE Kanadarm parts: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112881

- If you don't want to use the arm, the main craft file is still completely stock!

- Adjusted Action Groups, AG1 is now OMS toggle, AG2 is SSME shutdown

- Tweaked wings slightly, previous version had a slight misalignment that I didn’t notice until recently

- Tweaked OMS engines for easier placement

- Tweaked fuel dump port alignment to try have better true null-acceleration dump action

Revision 1.7

- REMOVED SAS module in orbiter. Doesn’t help as much as I thought, flies fine without. So officially there are NO SAS UNITS on this shuttle once again!

- REMOVED split rudder airbrake. As nice as it looked, it seemed to cause unwanted instability when deployed. Will have to wait until stock parts update to make this possible I think.

- Adjusted launch clamps so they’re prettier

- tweaked SSME angles for more stability for all supported cargo weights (0 to 36T)

- Added auto-deploy airbrakes to boosters to make them recoverable again in 1.03/1.04 aero. Makes the booster separation slightly less authentic as the fairings separate to release the airbrakes, but boosters are easily recovered. Replace with plain nosecone if you want to make it look closer to the real thing, but your boosters will crash and burn =p such are the tradeoffs with stock parts!

- tweaked staging slightly, and fuel cells now auto-start on launch

Revision 1.6:

* Major update: Baselined thrust for 18T in the cargo bay. Now can launch from 0-36T WITHOUT ANY ADJUSTMENTS!

* Redesigned OMS pods again

* Previous version had a bug where the SSMEs could drain fuel from the Orbiter tanks and render the fuel cells useless. As per @sgt_flyer's suggestion, redesigned the fuel flow from the ET to the SSMEs to ensure that SSMEs only get fuel from the ET

* Reduced thrust on the boosters to allow for a slightly longer burn time.

* Moved SAS module from nosecone to cargo bay so that it can be easily removed if you want to try fly it without using ANY SAS modules. Be warned that rolls in orbit will consume a lot of propellent, but launch should be unaffected.

* Still keeps all the various abort options workable, including 2-engine out or gimbal failures!

Revision 1.5a - 150529

* Updated look of OMS pods: no more tiger stripes!

Revision 1.5 - 150527

* Redesigned engine mounts to allow for 100% throttle all the way to fuel depletion.

* ALL SSME ENGINE FAILURE MODES SUPPORTED!! This means you can have ANY single engine fail, or even DUAL engine failure, and the orbiter will still be able to maintain full control.

Minor revision 1.4 - 150518

* Figured out how to do a proper split-rudder airbrake

05wi4Ofm.jpg

Minor revision (should probably be a 1.2.1 rather than 1.3 but oh well) - 150512

* Added 4th parachute to the boosters to help with recovering them intact. It's a sporty re-entry for the boosters, but they land downrange and fairly close together in a decent approximation of how the real ones land.

* Adjusted booster separation thrusters to work with 1.0/1.0.2/FAR physics

* tested against FAR, seems to fly acceptably, make sure you re-enter shallow and nose up (about 5-10degrees, LD should be around 1)

Ylc4AkHm.pngMrvnf42m.png

Revision 1.2 - 150510

* Adjusted fuel loads to allow for RTLS aborts again (suggest initiating flip-around only when above 50km altitude)

* Adjusted engine angles to allow for STS-51F center engine out aborts, starting from T-0!

* Certified to carry up to 20 tons to orbit without any adjustments! Flies equally well with empty cargo bay or a full "oil drum" fuel tank, including aborts!

* Can Inigma's fuel pods to >300km orbits, but will take more careful piloting and adjusting ET fuel load.

Revision 1.1 - 150501

* External Tank now uses NASA replica fuel load, with Oxidizer on top and Hydrogen fuel underneath!

* Increased burn time of boosters for extra lift capacity

* Added protective wing strakes to try prevent Big-S strakes from exploding on re-entry. I suspect this is a 1.0 bug and can be removed in the future. Shuttle flies fine even if all the wing strakes are gone anyway =p This unfortunately raised the parts count a bit, but still under 200 parts.

* Adjusted drogue chute automatic deployment settings

* Adjusted brake torque so only main landing gear provides braking

* Added "fuel dump" ports as I had on my previous shuttles

* Added ONE SAS module to the orbiter to help with roll authority once in orbit.

* Compatible with both 1.0 and 1.01/1.02 physics

Major changes:

- Orbiter uses the new Big-S wings

- Boosters have been upgraded to the absolute largest engines KSP offers

- Fuel Cells in cargo bay for on orbit power generation

- Drogue chute added for improved braking performance

Enjoy! Comments welcome!

Edited by Naito
Updated for KSP 1.4

Bump for new revision =)

* External Tank now uses NASA replica fuel load, with Oxidizer on top and Hydrogen fuel underneath!

* Increased burn time of boosters for extra lift capacity

* Added protective wing strakes to try prevent Big-S strakes from exploding on re-entry. I suspect this is a 1.0 bug and can be removed in the future. Shuttle lands fine even if all the wing strakes are gone anyway =p

* Adjusted drogue chute automatic deployment settings

* Adjusted brake torque so only main landing gear provides braking

* Added "fuel dump" ports as I had on my previous shuttles

* Added ONE SAS module to the orbiter to help with roll authority once in orbit.

Verified to work with 1.0 and 1.0.2! Wing strakes don't blow up anymore either, so can probably remove the "protective" strakes in next revision.

Edited by Naito

Thanks guys =) I am super impressed with Inigma's shuttle and LOVE the whole mission payload system he has going, but it's fun to build my own anyway! Now if only I could actually target my re-entries properly and land on a runway so I can get some of his badges!! :D

With the lovely atmosphere flip-flop, I thought I'd do a little more testing with the various combinations. Good news all around =)

Shuttle still flies regardless of whether you're using 1.0 physics.cfg or 1.01/1.02 physics.cfg. With 1.01/1.02 it'll land like a butterfly, but lands much more realistically with 1.0 physics. The Big-S strakes don't blow up anymore either under 1.02 with 1.0 physics.

Was able to lift Inigma's Fuel Pod in both 1.0 and 1.02 configs, it does require a little more careful piloting though, but it'll do it!

Oh, and a STS-51F style abort with center engine failure is still doable =)

Reentry in 1.02 with 1.0 physics:

QMF4KVhl.png

Touchdown speed about 50m/s:

6ZSEurQ.png

Edited by Naito

Updated revision 1.2

* Adjusted fuel loads to allow for RTLS aborts again (suggest doing it only when above 50km altitude)

* Adjusted engine angles to allow for STS-51F center engine out aborts, starting from T-0!

* Certified to carry up to 20 tons to orbit without any adjustments! Flies equally well with empty cargo bay or a full "oil drum" fuel tank, including aborts!

Very very awesome Naito. As always, you've raised the bar of what is possible with this one, and I am inspired! Fuel cells and an EDO are a nice touch. I love your subs! Mind if I cross reference them in the STS thread and in the KerbX STS hangar?

Your shuttle flies absolutely amazing.

Very very awesome Naito. As always, you've raised the bar of what is possible with this one, and I am inspired! Fuel cells and an EDO are a nice touch. I love your subs! Mind if I cross reference them in the STS thread and in the KerbX STS hangar?

Your shuttle flies absolutely amazing.

Thanks Inigma =) By all means please feel free to reference them!

I still can't believe you got solids to fly decently on your STS-5E, amazing work!

Thanks Inigma =) By all means please feel free to reference them!

I still can't believe you got solids to fly decently on your STS-5E, amazing work!

shhsh don't tell anyone, but I uh... did some craft file editing on that one to make it work. In addition to fixing up exact placement of parts manually (man that was tedious), I also updated each solid booster to 3750 fuel rather than 2500. It works out, since the extra unused volume at the top of the boosters is exactly proportional to that much more, and the game calculates the extra mass into the flight profile anyways, so hence no cheating. :) It's the same as if Squad were to simply come out with solid fuel tanks for expansion. I just uh... anticipate such for the future and programmed it into the shuttle for now. Works beautifully. Thought you should know the "trick that made it work." ;)

Craft file editing... for the advanced KSP engineer inside all of us.

Edited by inigma

Minor revision (should probably be a 1.2.1 rather than 1.3 but oh well)

* Added 4th parachute to the boosters to help with recovering them intact. It's a sporty re-entry for the boosters, but they land downrange and fairly close together in a decent approximation of how the real ones land.

* Adjusted booster separation thrusters to work with 1.0/1.0.2/FAR physics

* tested against FAR, seems to fly acceptably, make sure you re-enter shallow and nose up (about 5-10degrees, LD should be around 1)

shhsh don't tell anyone, but I uh... did some craft file editing on that one to make it work. In addition to fixing up exact placement of parts manually (man that was tedious), I also updated each solid booster to 3750 fuel rather than 2500. It works out, since the extra unused volume at the top of the boosters is exactly proportional to that much more, and the game calculates the extra mass into the flight profile anyways, so hence no cheating. :) It's the same as if Squad were to simply come out with solid fuel tanks for expansion. I just uh... anticipate such for the future and programmed it into the shuttle for now. Works beautifully. Thought you should know the "trick that made it work." ;)

Craft file editing... for the advanced KSP engineer inside all of us.

LOL nice :D For getting solids to work at all nicely, I'll allow it lol

I think bigger solids HAVE to be in the pipeline. Hopefully even scalable solids, similar to how the fairings scale.

Then if they add GIMBALABLE solids like the real STS it'll make it perfect :)

Is the 51L cargo a subassembly? If so? dl? I've been meaning to make one.

It's just the TDRS sub I made earlier and a really tiny simple satellite to simulate the Spartan-Halley. I really need to start using Infernal Robotics and get an arm on that thing.

One of the things that keep bothering me on this overall great build, is the use of monopropellant engines as OMS :P

The space shuttle actually uses bipropellant OMS engines :) (if you radially attach 1.25m fuel tanks at the rear, with your bipropellant engine of choice (you could very well use MK55's with reduced thrusts :P) the main engines should not be able to drain the fuel from those.)

One of the things that keep bothering me on this overall great build, is the use of monopropellant engines as OMS :P

The space shuttle actually uses bipropellant OMS engines :) (if you radially attach 1.25m fuel tanks at the rear, with your bipropellant engine of choice (you could very well use MK55's with reduced thrusts :P) the main engines should not be able to drain the fuel from those.)

Ah a fellow shuttle nerd :D

Yes, but RCS and OMS engines shared fuel on the Shuttle. I decided to prioritize that fact over the dual propellent/monopropellent distinction. It'd certainly be much easier to aim a single one of the regular engines, as well as gain the gimbal ability that the OMS engines should have.

Well, we have vernors RCS block that are bipropellant too now :P (though, it might be a bit harder to send the fuel flow to them, without risking the SSME's from using that fuel :P)

Also, you should now be able to upscale a bit the external fuel tank, thanks to the new fairings (so it's slightly more inline with 2.5m SRBs and the shuttle :P)

If you wish, i can try to provide you with such assemblies :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Nice :D You and inigma seem to have a similar market advertising to.... COMPETITION!! :D :D

LOL :D

I think we have different design philosophies. His shuttle is probably easier to fly, particularly for landings, and his RCS balancing helps a lot with on-orbit operations. I've mainly focused on the ascent, trying to make it so that my shuttle can re-create the various abort scenarios and the flight profile relatively accurately. I also have been working on re-entries, testing S-turns and such, but landing is not something I'm all that good at :P I've been playing on a Mac so I really haven't been able to use any plugins to help with the build since it just keeps crashing once I add any, but I definitely want to look into the RCS balancing now that I've tried his shuttle.

It's not so much competition as it is taking the best bits from everyone's shuttles and making what each of us think is best =D Lots of shuttle forks if you will lol

Edited by Naito

• 2 weeks later...

Updated Revision 1.5, rather major update that rebalanced the SSMEs. They no longer overheat at 100% throttle, AND (what I'm most proud of) you can now fail ANY two engines and still maintain control!

9m0gA4rl.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.